Ajax 2-3 Arsenal (Amsterdam Tournament)

Ajax 2-3 Arsenal (Amsterdam Tournament)

Postby SE13 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:00 pm

The Gunners kicked off their bid for success in the tournament with a handy six points, but my, did they do it the hard way! It seems almost a time honoured tradition that Arsenal should fall a goal behind in a game, and that was exactly what happened. After a very bright start from Arsenal, they fell a goal behind after 34 minutes following a swift strike from Ajax man Luis Suarez which crashed in via the underside of the crossbar. However within 90 seconds of the restart, Ajax had doubled their advantage. A similar build to the first, saw Klaas Jan Huntelaar, an Arsenal target over the summer, fire a crisp shot across the goal beating Almunia all ends up. And this on the back of some great Arsenal pressure, easily being the better side up until that point.

Arsenal went into the break with a two goal deficit, and would need to turn up some serious heat to be in contention in the second half, along with actually putting chances away, a knock on from last season that cost the side so dearly. However the Amsterdam outfit came out strongly in the second half, and themselves could have added another half way through. It was fairly much at this point Arsenal finally started to show something of real promise. A wonderful move rounded off with an Eboue cross headed home by Emmanuel Adebayor. Arsenal were back at the races! The equaliser owed lady luck some debt, when an underhit backpass was intercepted by Adebayor, who sprinted to the byline, appeared to allow the ball to go out, not spotted by the officials, before whipping the ball across for Bendtner to tap in. The Gunners were now in complete control, and the winner was more inevitable than predictable. Denilson with some great work to find Adebayor who slipped the ball home for his second and Arsenals third.

Arsenal top the table at the half way mark with six points, three for the win, and a further three for each goal scored, Ajax will be second having scored twice, with the other game ending goalless meaning Seville and Inter have a single point each.

Arsenal starting line up: Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Denilson (Wilshere, 84) Fabregas (Ramsey, 84) Eboue, Walcott (Bendtner, 67) Adebayor, Van Persie (Senderos, 84)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Ajax 2-3 Arsenal (Amsterdam Tournament)

Postby Younggooner08 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:24 pm

Another match i've missed :crybaby:

Nice report though :clap:
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Nice one mate I missed the first half.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby singaporegooner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:42 pm

Things might have been alot different if the equaliser didn't occur...
but it was a good sign to see Adebayor and Bendtner working together and scoring goals
:clap:
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Nice one, i loved this comeback, we could have just buckled seeing as it was just a friendly but these guys wanted it so they fought for it, this bodes well for the news season.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Match Reports 08/09