Roma Vs Arsenal | Champions League 11/03/09

Roma Vs Arsenal | Champions League 11/03/09

Postby SE13 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 am

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Roma Vs Arsenal | Champions League 11/03/09

Postby SE13 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 am

Aggregate score:

Roma 0-1 Arsenal.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Trina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 am

Arsene Wenger has ruled Emmanuel Adebayor out of Arsenal's UEFA Champions League tie with Roma, but hopes Kolo Toure will be fit.

Adebayor has not featured for the Gunners for the past month after suffering a hamstring injury in the 0-0 draw with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Togo striker will not be fit to feature in the second leg of the last 16 clash with Roma on Wednesday, although Theo Walcott and Eduardo are expected to be in the squad.

Toure is also likely to be involved in Italy after the defender missed Sunday's FA Cup victory over Burnley with a minor injury.
Extreme desire

"Adebayor definitely won't be able to play, but I will wait to see what the report is on Kolo before I decide what my starting XI will be," said Wenger.

"We are going into this game against Roma with belief and extreme desire to progress.

"The positive is we didn't concede at home. We know we cannot only go there and defend. We want at every opportunity to attack and try to score.

"Of course, there are many big competitors left in the Champions League. Let's see what happens on Wednesday.

"I haven't decided on my starting team yet, but Theo Walcott and Eduardo have a good chance of being in the squad."

Arsenal lead 1-0 going into the second leg and Wenger confirmed his team will adopt a positive approach at the Stadio Olimpico, where the Champions League final will be staged in May.

Big pressure

He added: "We need to go to Roma and play our own game. It's very important for us to focus on scoring and going forward.

"They are a very good team offensively so if we allow them to spend 90 per cent of the time doing what they like to do, we will expose ourselves.

"Let's go there and focus on dictating the game. I think it's part of the personality of the team - so let's show exactly that.

"We are not far from the latter stages of the competition and that is where the winning attitude becomes tested.

"The pressure becomes bigger and bigger the more you progress.

"It is down to how we can respond to that pressure - and of course I have the confidence in the team to do very well."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 30,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Roma suffering injury crisis

Postby meridamullet » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 am

Arsenal's Champions League opponents Roma are facing an injury crisis of their own ahead of Wednesday's encounter and could be without as many as half-a-dozen first-team regulars.

While the Gunners have been buoyed by the return of Eduardo and Theo Walcott against Burnley in the FA Cup on Sunday, the Italians suffered setback after setback at the weekend.

Already deprived of injury victims Simone Perrotta and Marco Cassetti, full-back Cicinho became the latest casualty when he suffered an apparently season-ending knee injury in training.

And Roma's problems don't end there either. According to The Times, 'David Pizarro, the Chile playmaker, limped off with a suspected thigh strain during Saturday's game [a 1-1 draw with Udinese] and was unsure yesterday whether he will be available to play against Arsène Wenger's side', captain Francesco Totti is still rated as doubtful for Wednesday, while 'Jérémy Menez and Júlio Baptista have the flu, Mirko Vucinic, the top scorer, has a back problem, Daniele De Rossi is suspended and Christian Panucci is not on the squad list.'

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 14,00.html
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Roma suffering injury crisis

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:55 am

meridamullet wrote:Arsenal's Champions League opponents Roma are facing an injury crisis of their own ahead of Wednesday's encounter and could be without as many as half-a-dozen first-team regulars.

While the Gunners have been buoyed by the return of Eduardo and Theo Walcott against Burnley in the FA Cup on Sunday, the Italians suffered setback after setback at the weekend.

Already deprived of injury victims Simone Perrotta and Marco Cassetti, full-back Cicinho became the latest casualty when he suffered an apparently season-ending knee injury in training.

And Roma's problems don't end there either. According to The Times, 'David Pizarro, the Chile playmaker, limped off with a suspected thigh strain during Saturday's game [a 1-1 draw with Udinese] and was unsure yesterday whether he will be available to play against Arsène Wenger's side', captain Francesco Totti is still rated as doubtful for Wednesday, while 'Jérémy Menez and Júlio Baptista have the flu, Mirko Vucinic, the top scorer, has a back problem, Daniele De Rossi is suspended and Christian Panucci is not on the squad list.'

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 14,00.html

JESUS!
That is one looooong injury list man! :shock:
It makes ours look pathetic!

If those players don't recover we could looking at a 3-0 or 4-0 here....!
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Happy memories:

I really think Wednesday night in Rome, is going to be one of those 'classic' Champions League nights.

:arsenal3:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gorilla » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (bit new here):
Any ideas where to grab a pint with fellow Gooners in Rome tomorrow before the game?
gorilla
Liam Brady

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:46 pm

gorilla wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread (bit new here):
Any ideas where to grab a pint with fellow Gooners in Rome tomorrow before the game?

Here you go mate.

http://hbarsenal.co.uk/hb/events/roma110309.html
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gorilla » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:
gorilla wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread (bit new here):

Here you go mate.

http://hbarsenal.co.uk/hb/events/roma110309.html

Cheers!
gorilla
Liam Brady

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Euro Watch: Roma held at home by Udinese

AS Roma 1-1 Udinese
Saturday, March 7.
Roma warmed up for Wednesday’s crucial Champions League second-leg tie with a draw against Udinese at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday.

Felipe headed the visitors in front from Antonio di Natale’s cross after 54 minutes but Roma were soon back on terms. Substitute Mirko Vucinic received a short pass from Vincenzo Montella before slotting home in the 64th minute

Daniele de Rossi, who is suspended for Wednesday’s clash, was sent off for a second-bookable offence five minutes after the equaliser.

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby arseman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Happy memories:

I really think Wednesday night in Rome, is going to be one of those 'classic' Champions League nights.

:arsenal3:

:cloud9: :cloud9: :hail: :hail:

That kit was dreadful though :disgust:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Toure 'fit to start' as Arsenal fly to Rome

Kolo Toure may come back straight into the Arsenal side for the trip to Roma on Wednesday.

The centre back is “fit and available to start” according to Arsène Wenger after picking up a calf injury at West Brom last week.

His return means the manager has a straightforward ‘two from three’ decision at centre back ahead of the Champions League Knockout Round second leg tie at the Stadio Olimpico. His options are Toure, Willam Gallas or Johan Djourou.

Samir Nasri and Denilson also come back into the squad after missing the 3-0 win over Burnley on Sunday.

Before flying out to the Italian capital on Tuesday morning, Wenger reported a clean bill of health from the weekend. In addition, Mikael Silvestre is fit but he will not travel as he only returned to training on Monday.

“From Sunday, we have no new injuries,” said Wenger. “Kolo Toure should come back into the squad and should be fit to start.

“Samir Nasri and Denilson are in too. Mikael Silvestre is available again too but he is not in the squad because he just came back yesterday.”

Arsenal squad for AS Roma
1 Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
2 Abou DIABY
3 Bacary SAGNA
5 Kolo TOURE
8 Samir NASRI
9 EDUARDO
10 William GALLAS
11 Robin VAN PERSIE
12 Carlos VELA
14 Theo WALCOTT
15 DENILSON
16 Aaron RAMSEY
17 Alex SONG
20 Johan DJOUROU
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
22 Gael CLICHY
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
27 Emmanuel EBOUE
40 Kieran GIBBS

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm

you think denilson will start?
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:19 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:you think denilson will start?

Yes I'm sure he will start.
I imagine that the midfield line-up will either be:

Eboue Diaby Denilson Nasri

or

Theo Diaby Denilson Nasri

Unless we play Song and Denilson together in the middle but I doubt it. We could of course end up playing 4-5-1 but I hope not.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Cheese » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:24 pm

I think the team will be

Almunia
Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy

Eboue Denilson Song Nasri
Diaby

RvP