Arsenal Vs Sunderland | Premiership 21/02/2009

Re: Arsenal Vs Sunderland | Premiership 21/02/2009

Postby liam_cork » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:38 pm

i was goin to start a topic but any news i get there is already a two page topic on it here as you lot can be quick but i saw walcott sayin that he intended on bein back by the end of the month that bein feb. i was on the guardian site. might be worth a look
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 pm

liam_cork wrote:i was goin to start a topic but any news i get there is already a two page topic on it here as you lot can be quick but i saw walcott sayin that he intended on bein back by the end of the month that bein feb. i was on the guardian site. might be worth a look

Post it. Unless someone else already has.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby rogerthornhill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:49 pm

gzagee wrote:I ain't saying it for the sake of it Grabs. Look at our squad and the way we've been playing, is it not patently obvious we're inferior this season? AW's trying different permutations but the players clearly just aren't up to it.

They are players that AW brought in and he simply hasn't been active enough in the transfer market. If we don't have a strong enough squad then whose fault is that? While AW has been buying youngsters with potential Ferguson has been spending big on proven PL class players. I know that he has kept within a budget but there are no cups or titles on offer for having the best team from the lowest outlay. We all know that ManU are in debt but they have plenty to show for it.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:05 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:
gzagee wrote:I ain't saying it for the sake of it Grabs. Look at our squad and the way we've been playing, is it not patently obvious we're inferior this season? AW's trying different permutations but the players clearly just aren't up to it.

They are players that AW brought in and he simply hasn't been active enough in the transfer market. If we don't have a strong enough squad then whose fault is that? While AW has been buying youngsters with potential Ferguson has been spending big on proven PL class players. I know that he has kept within a budget but there are no cups or titles on offer for having the best team from the lowest outlay. We all know that ManU are in debt but they have plenty to show for it.

Rog, what's the point in saying we should've bought him, that one and the other guy? That's in the past. I'm not saying AW was right in the decisions he made, we can only go on what we have. He's entrusted these guys with the responsibility they've so craved and thus far they've proved not to be up to the task.
What I'm saying is although we don't want UEFA Cup next season maybe we should be a little more philosophical about our situation.
We're just not as good as we expect our team to be.
However, I spose the fat lady hasn't cleared her throat so, it's still to be decided.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby the real gooner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:08 pm

mikey_gooner wrote:cesc runs the midfield and you can not even compare him with nasri
eduardo was on form before he got injured and is the type of player that just needed one chance last season and he slotted it away .
and walcott was just hitting form for both us and england and was changing games with his pace .
now we have not had those three players for a considerable time and peopel wonder why we are suffering without them ? take ashley young , gareth barry and abelonghor out of villa for the same amount of time and where would they be ?

as for accepting the russians millions id rather finish fith and play in the uefa then sell the soul of our club :naughty:

What exactly would you define as "the soul of our club" the players? All foreign. The manager? foreign. The board? All toffs, millionaires and foreign. imo we are the soul of the club. Fascinated to hear other opinions on this.
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Fordy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:08 pm

the real gooner wrote:
mikey_gooner wrote:cesc runs the midfield and you can not even compare him with nasri
eduardo was on form before he got injured and is the type of player that just needed one chance last season and he slotted it away .
and walcott was just hitting form for both us and england and was changing games with his pace .
now we have not had those three players for a considerable time and peopel wonder why we are suffering without them ? take ashley young , gareth barry and abelonghor out of villa for the same amount of time and where would they be ?

as for accepting the russians millions id rather finish fith and play in the uefa then sell the soul of our club :naughty:

What exactly would you define as "the soul of our club" the players? All foreign. The manager? foreign. The board? All toffs, millionaires and foreign. imo we are the soul of the club. Fascinated to hear other opinions on this.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fordy

Postby rogerthornhill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm

gzagee wrote:Rog, what's the point in saying we should've bought him, that one and the other guy? That's in the past. I'm not saying AW was right in the decisions he made, we can only go on what we have. He's entrusted these guys with the responsibility they've so craved and thus far they've proved not to be up to the task.

Yes I can see what you are saying and yes those decisions are in the past. But if these players aren't good enough to execute AW's plans then he has to take some blame for that because he chose them. And if they aren't good enough for his "beautiful game" philosophy then perhaps he should put together a game plan that does suit them and which they can deliver on the pitch. For well over a year the world and his wife have been saying that we need to bring in mature experienced strong players. AW seems to be just about the only person who doesn't agree with this, he can't agree with it because, Arshavin apart, he hasn't done it. I certainly don't want him to go but he isn't perfect, he does make mistakes and his recent inactivity in the transfer market is a big mistake.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:25 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:
gzagee wrote:Rog, what's the point in saying we should've bought him, that one and the other guy? That's in the past. I'm not saying AW was right in the decisions he made, we can only go on what we have. He's entrusted these guys with the responsibility they've so craved and thus far they've proved not to be up to the task.

Yes I can see what you are saying and yes those decisions are in the past. But if these players aren't good enough to execute AW's plans then he has to take some blame for that because he chose them. And if they aren't good enough for his "beautiful game" philosophy then perhaps he should put together a game plan that does suit them and which they can deliver on the pitch. For well over a year the world and his wife have been saying that we need to bring in mature experienced strong players. AW seems to be just about the only person who doesn't agree with this, he can't agree with it because, Arshavin apart, he hasn't done it. I certainly don't want him to go but he isn't perfect, he does make mistakes and his recent inactivity in the transfer market is a big mistake.

Yes, you're absolutely right he's made mistakes, whether he'd admit them all is another question. And he's certainly not perfect.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby the real gooner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Einstein genius that he was got caught out when developments in physics left him behind. Although he will always be remembered for work that was of the highest order he will also be remembered for his failure to change, and his unwillingness to admit he was wrong. I fear our own professor is similar. Todays result was a complete failure imo. One that he is fully responsible for. The season has been poor, again his fault imo.
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Trina » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger claimed the Premier League would be 'very boring' if every side played like Sunderland did on Saturday at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners fell to their fourth straight Premier League draw as they struggled to break down the Black Cats while also proving wasteful in front of goal.

Wenger praised Sunderland's defending, but hinted at a frustration, with his men struggling to break back into the top four.

He told Sky Sports: "Our attitude was spot on and overall we had great determination and put them under pressure.

"But I thought we tightened up a bit in the final third and they defended well. Their goalkeeper did well.

"We created the chances and we have to keep doing that.
Arshavin

"They put a lot of men in front of the ball, with one striker up front, like everybody does here.

"You can give them credit, they defended well, but I do not want to go overboard because if everybody plays like that it would be very boring in the Premier League."

Russian playmaker Andrey Arshavin made his Gunners debut and impressed in the first half before being replaced on 63 minutes.

Of Arshavin's bow, Wenger said: "He showed glimpses of talent and quality. He has also shown that he is of course short physically."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 19,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gzagee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Why doesn't he ever just say we were not bloody good enough.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Lewie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Well that was absolutely shocking, knowing that Villa got beat we produce a performance like that. We should beg Fergie to come in and give motivational speeches before our games. He won't mind were no were near catching his team. Denilson and Song as a CM partnership is terrible I think its on par with Taiano and Richardson. How can we finish 5th its terrible
Lewie
Patrick Vieira

Postby Laura » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 pm

The thing we lacked again today was that killer finish, we had the chances for sure but made nothing of them. Most of us would have put our houses on RVP scoring his chance in the first half and if we'd have scored that it would have been 2 or 3 nil. But we cant have a season of 'ifs' and 'buts' and when the Sunderland fans were singing 'Champions League, you're having a laugh', it felt like it might happen.Let's hope Villa lose everything from now on and we start scoring!!
I dont personally feel that you can just solve the problems by buying new players, without the injuries we'd have had a stronger squad to pick from. Song and Denilson dont work for me in the centre as a pair, they both work fairly hard but there's very little flair or the ability to find that final pass. Nasri I think suits it more there.
Arshavin showed some nice touches and it was great to see him come on and get shots in, I like that confidence and I think, when fully fit, he'll give us something different in attack
Laura
Patrick Vieira

Postby the real gooner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Lewie wrote:Well that was absolutely shocking, knowing that Villa got beat we produce a performance like that. We should beg Fergie to come in and give motivational speeches before our games. He won't mind were no were near catching his team. Denilson and Song as a CM partnership is terrible I think its on par with Taiano and Richardson. How can we finish 5th its terrible

Who says we're going to finish 5th?
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CLS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I JUST DONT GET IT , SO HIT AND MISS AT MO !!!
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09