Arsenal Vs Cardiff | FA Cup R4 Replay 16/02/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Cardiff | FA Cup R4 Replay 16/02/09

Postby djaxster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 am

totally agree with INCHY and GES and to UFGN why are we allowed to knock bendy but not adey who in my opinon has has a shit season and i feel hasn't got an arsenal heart. Whenever i have watched adey in the last year he's out of posistion,offside,not geeting into spaces,he's passes have been off yet when i watch bendy he's running into spaces ,hardly offside,creates good passes and creates goal opportunites and has some misses at least he's playing with heart unlike adey who i feel hasn't been the same since Henry left..let Adey go and watch Bendy improve cos adey can't
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:17 am

OK....

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

I don't give a rat's ass if Bendtner said he thinks he should start every match or not. I want players with arrogance and confidence in the team.

In sports you have to think you're the best, you have to have confidence and you have to be a little bit arrogant.

As soon as the slightest bit of self-doubt creeps into your mind you're done. Your performance will drop.

So let him think he's the best. I'd prefer that he doesn't say it in the media, but I like the fact that he thinks it.

On a side note: I don't agree with him at all... but that's another story all together. :biggrin:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 am

Good point Leody.
Strikers need to be selfish and arrogant on the ball.

He didn't actually say it though.....

:hiding:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby djaxster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 am

wish he had just to piss of Adey
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 am

Inchpractice wrote:He didn't actually say it though.....

:hiding:

Thanks for clearing that up :smartass:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby damo1583 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 am

Did anyone else notice how well Vela played on the left lastnight?
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arseman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am

Aye, he looked really lively, deserved a goal. I still think he's better off playing through the middle though.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Yes I did and I also noticed Nasri on the right (plus stupid haircut).
Cardiff are nowhere near Prem standard though, especially last night.

The standout players for me last night were Eduardo (obviously), Gibbs, Bischoff and Bendtner.

Gibbs looked so comfortable and solid you just didn't notice that Clichy was out, and that's some compliment.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

arsenal cardiff report fa cup 4th round 16 feb 09

Postby jaberryo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 pm

here is the match report for last nights game in the fa cup 4th round replay aganst cardiff
i got this of the arsenal website hope you enjoy :arsenal3:

Arsenal.com wrote:Exactly 358 days before tonight, Eduardo had left the pitch at St Andrews on a stretcher with his career in doubt.

His leg had been fractured, his ankle had been dislocated and Arsenal’s collective heart had been broken.

This evening against Cardiff he also left the pitch early. But on this occasion he had 67 emotional minutes under his belt – his first competitive action since that fateful afternoon in Birmingham – and, in that time, he had scored twice.

The Croatian put Arsenal ahead midway through the first half with the coolest of headers and added another from the penalty spot on the hour. In between those strikes, Nicklas Bendtner had nodded home at the near post and in injury time Robin van Persie added a fourth.

But to be honest, this FA Cup Fourth Round replay only served as a backdrop for Eduardo’s return. Cardiff were overrun in the opening minutes and never recovered their serenity. Arsenal were excellent, always in control and now entertain Burnley in the Fifth Round.

However, to be honest, that all seemed kind of unimportant. Tonight belonged to Eduardo.

The 25-year-old had handled the obscenity of his injury with dignity. It was just wonderful to see him back in the side and doing what he does best.

Welcome back, old friend.

The striker’s selection was one of five changes from the draw at Tottenham the previous weekend. Bendtner joined the Croatian up front while Carlos Vela came into the side on the left-hand side of midfield. This meant Samir Nasri moved to the right.

Kieran Gibbs slotted in at left back and Lukas Fabianski continued his FA Cup run between the posts.

The changes meant Manuel Almunia, Van Persie and Gael Clichy dropped to the bench. Emmanuel Eboue was suspended after his red card at Tottenham while Emmanuel Adebayor was starting an estimated three weeks on the sidelines because of the hamstring injury he suffered at White Hart Lane.

Denilson celebrated his 21st birthday by continuing in midfield. But it was a less happy occasion for Johan Djourou. The centre half was named on the bench but was taken sick just before kick-off. As a consequence, Arsenal had only six substitutes.

It seemed that an age has passed since the 0-0 draw at Ninian Park. In fact it was only three weeks but in that time we had found out these sides’ FA Cup future right up until the Semi-Final.

It was home draws all the way to the last four for tonight’s winner – a massive opportunity.

The Cardiff fans knew it and, in the early stages, they were everything you would expect – loud and confident. They had every right to be given their performance at Ninian Park but Arsenal would soon smother them.

In the opening two minutes, Bacary Sagna crossed deep to the far post and Bendtner steered his header back across goal but wide of the near post.

Shortly afterwards Vela sent a rasping shot towards goal from 25 yards that Cardiff No 1 Tom Heaton could only parry into the path of Bendtner. But the on-loan Manchester United keeper would redeem himself by turning aside the Dane’s follow-up.

Heaton seemed to be taking on Arsenal all on his own. In the seventh minute, William Gallas met Vela’s curling cross with a firm downward header at the far post. The keeper saved with his right knee.

For his part, Eduardo was looking sharp and confident. Around the 10-minute mark he sidefooted a low shot wide and then tried to beat Heaton from the halfway line.

Now that would have been a comeback.

This was the swarming, overwhelming, relentless Arsenal of old and it was a pleasure to see them back. Cardiff were the best the Championship could offer on current form and had thoroughly deserved their draw in the first game – but they were being taken apart this evening.

When it came, the goal was typical Eduardo – all about placement not power. Vela did wonderfully well to put the ball on the Croatian’s head from the left flank but the striker’s body position meant he could not put pace on his effort. Instead he simply guided it into the space the keeper had just vacated.

It was the headed version of passing the ball into the net.

To be honest it could have gone in off Eduardo’s backside and Emirates would still have erupted. As it was, the 25-year-old slid on his knees towards to the touchline before being engulfed by his team-mates.

Everybody knew what this goal meant.

Despite the emotion of the moment, Arsenal were not going to sit back and admire their work this evening. They continued to flood forward and might have doubled their advantage in the 26th minute when Nasri’s shot squirmed under Heaton and dribbled wide.

Cardiff were already looking a beaten side and the second goal only seemed to numerically confirm it. In the 34th minute, Nasri curled over a corner from the left and Bendtner raced to the near post and leapt highest to touch home a header into the far corner. Another goal of ruthless simplicity.

It seemed to draw all the remaining confidence from the visitors and Arsenal should have added a third just before the half-time whistle.

Sagna crossed from the right, Eduardo expertly controlled the ball but his shot on the turn was saved by Heaton. Again the effort came out to Bendtner at the far post. The Dane stuck his first shot against the woodwork and his second was saved by the sprawling keeper. An incredible moment.

There was no let up after the interval. Vela waltzed through in the 53rd minute but his shot was blocked, a couple of minutes later Gibbs whipped a cross into the heart of the six-yard box and Darren Purse scooped the ball away from under his own bar.

Despite Arsenal’s invention Cardiff had to chance their arm. Just before the hour, Fabianski was forced into his first serious action when he stretched to save a low drive from Jay Bothroyd.

But the home side would be quick to respond. Cardiff failed to clear their lines after Heaton had saved Bendtner's shot with his legs and Purse felled Eduardo on the penalty spot. The Croatian got up and scored from exactly the same place.

This time his celebration was more meaningful. He brushed aside his team-mates to hug Tony Colbert, the fitness coach who had worked with him throughout the dark days of the past 12 months.

Ross McCormack saw a free-kick deflected over but Eduardo would have a glimpse of a hat-trick when he tried to lift the ball over Heaton at the far post.

It would be the final act of the game for the former Dinamo Zagreb striker. A couple of minutes later, Wenger replaced him with Van Persie and Nasri with Aaron Ramsey.

Naturally he received a standing ovation.

Amaury Bischoff came on for this first action outside the Carling Cup and, with 10 minutes left, nearly steered home a cross-shot from the narrowest of angles.

In injury time, Van Persie did manage to slot home a fourth. In the final seconds he also nodded against the outside of the post.

This was just what Arsenal needed. A slick performance, lots of goals and the return of a major star.
Hopefully the team – and Eduardo – can kick on from here.

© Arsenal.com
jaberryo
Michael Thomas

Postby SE13 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

Eduardo made a great comeback on Monday night against Cardiff and I am not surprised he played well and scored twice.

I didn't play him as a reward for his excellent work; it was because in training over the past few weeks he has done extremely well. He made a big step forward two weeks ago when he found sharpness in front of goal and in his runs and he got rid of his apprehension in the tackles.

Of course it is nearly 12 months out for him and he has been extremely strong mentally during that time. I could never see one minute of doubt in his mind or one minute where he said 'no, I don't want to do it'. He always wanted more and this guy is small but has the mental strength of a mountain.

He is intelligent, talented and he understands what is happening quickly. He responds very quickly to every situation. That is why he is a striker. He is a quiet boy. He is very, very quiet - he is focused but of course he was very happy on Monday night.

Eduardo celebrated his second goal with our fitness coach Tony Colbert because I think Tony has spent more time with Eduardo than with his wife. So perhaps he deserves that kind of hug. The physios and doctors have done a tremendous job with him.

Of course everybody's happy for Eduardo but I believe it was a good team performance against Cardiff. We were dynamic, convincing and mobile. We played the kind of football we love to play and it is good to see us play with the handbrake off. We are now consistent, we are stable defensively, and we added tonight our drive going forward.

Cardiff gave us a hard time at Ninian Park but I felt on Monday that the speed of our passing gave them a big problem. It is easier to play our kind of football at Emirates Stadium than it was at Ninian Park.

Something in the Cardiff team, when we played them over there, made me think they have real belief and real quality. I didn't see any weak position in their team, where you think they aren't good enough. But on Monday they were dominated and they had to chase the game after we scored which was much more difficult for them.

We are very consistent and we are on a very strong run. We promised ourselves we would give everything until the last day of the season and, although Man United look untouchable at the moment, we will not give up. Our basic target is to get in the Champions League which means the league is our priority.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Anyone got any more news on Eduardo's hamstring twinge towards the end of the match?
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm

damo1583 wrote:Did anyone else notice how well Vela played on the left lastnight?

A player like Vela will always look dangerous when he gets a chance, with his pace and quick feet and he seems to have a delicate touch. I thought he did well and he made sure he pulled his defenders out wide so that our center mids could do some work. I thought we moved the ball beautifully around the pitch. I would just like for Vela to stay on his feet a bit more and not look for the foul so much, and maybe pick out a pass a little quicker sometimes. I'm sure its tough for him cause he seems to have that ability to dribble through the defense when given the right oppurtunity, but he needs to know that he won't be able to do that against better teams. Only players like Messi can do that and he aint' there yet. He is definately a great option to have on our bench, and he will only get better.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Artemis8 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Eduardo Eduadro Eduardo, what else can we say. He is set to be an Arsenal hero, i hope for the right reasons. Not for simpathy, but for his talent on the pitch.

Arshavin and Eduardo to start the next game.
Artemis8

Postby rvtheace » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Dudu is back!!!

Awesome. :D
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:When he goes in the papers (like he did today) saying he is our best striker and he should play every minute of every game, I'm afraid he leaves himself no way back IMO. He's an arrogant, average striker with no personal class. He has no idea how to handle himself off the pitch, and thats in addition to being mediocre on the pitch.

Trina wrote:I agree with UFGN that he DID say it. However, I think it was taken out of context and he was talking about whilst Ade was out. Instead, they made it sound like he should be first choice no matter what. Bendy doesn't think that!

COUGH...!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... by-reports
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09