Arsenal Vs West Ham | Premiership 31/01/2009

Re: Arsenal Vs West Ham | Premiership 31/01/2009

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:I've actually got into the mindset now that we really won't do well in the league this season. Its to late. I do still expect us to make top 4

Umm.... Did you mean you still think you will do well? How it looks from reading the last part.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rodney » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:23 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Was just reading the match report in the Times and in the first sentance it mentioned the "booing around the Emirate's" at the end of the game - is this true?

Only a few at half time and quite a few at the end of the match. Eboue and Bendtner might as well have been booed when they were subbed. Ironic celebrations at them departing the field is just as bad.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby SE13 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

We gave everything for 90 minutes on Saturday and I believe we restricted West Ham to nothing. We had 70 per cent of the possession and we produced a great defensive team display too.

However, we failed to find the breakthrough. We showed great desire until the last minute but they defended very well and we lacked some creativity in the final third with our final pass and our set pieces. They were very strong in defence I must say with James Collins and Matthew Upson and that's why we couldn't score.

I can't fault the spirit of this team but I believe as well that we lost a bit of sharpness from playing on Sunday at Cardiff and then on Wednesday in a very physical game at Everton. Maybe that was why we lacked a bit of sharpness to score against West Ham.

I chose to pair William Gallas and Kolo Toure in defence which proves it can happen. We rotate it and we have to because we play Tuesday night against Cardiff and I might play Johan Djourou again in that game. It depends on who we play against as well and I'm happy with our defensive unit and their performances.

We suffered a couple of injuries to Emmanuel Eboue and Abou Diaby. Diaby's looks quite serious but he got a yellow card which rules him out of the Tottenham game anyway. He got a big knock on his thigh, he had one in the first half and another one in the second half. Eboue is the same.

Some people were surprised that I left Robin van Persie on the bench but I didn't want to risk him getting an injury. We have to be cautious with him because we have played three games in six days and he played absolutely every minute. He has had some bad experiences when we pushed it a little bit too far with his workload.

I can understand the fans' frustration after Saturday's game. I know the fans want to win all the games and I accept that maybe the fans aren't happy. But I feel the attitude of the team was right - we cannot question their commitment. We have to give credit to West Ham as well, they defended very well; they came to defend and defend and defend and they did that.

I am not frustrated because I believe the good thing about the game is that any problem the opponents gives to you, you can use that as a way to improve and find a solution. On Saturday we couldn't but I believe it can make us better if we can find a chance to punish the teams who defend like this.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby foxy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Just seen henry's goals again, the man is lethal!
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby arseman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm

foxy0116 wrote:Just seen henry's goals again, the man is lethal!

And the point of posting that here is?
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09