Arsenal Vs Plymouth | FA Cup R3 03/01/09

Re: Arsenal Vs Plymouth | FA Cup R3 03/01/09

Postby SE13 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

On Saturday we did our job in a serious way. If we hadn't been completely focused and up for it we would not have gone through in the FA Cup. I give credit to my team for doing the job seriously with good focus and I give credit to Plymouth who had a great game as well.

I was surprised by how well organised they were and how strong they were in every dual and every challenge. I said a couple of weeks ago that the gap between the Championship and Premier League has been reduced. Looking at the FA Cup results at the weekend you could see that.

It was 0-0 at half time and I told the players we had to keep the pace as high as we could because in the last 10 minutes of the first half it looked as though we dropped a little bit. Even at 2-0 maybe we thought we had done enough and relaxed. They came back to 2-1 and they were good from set-pieces, always dangerous, and they played very well.

Robin van Persie captained the side for the first time and scored twice. I chose him as skipper because he is always interested in team problems and affairs and always wants to sort things out. In Saturday's team he was the longest-serving member and I think he did his job very well.

I believe Robin is one of the players who is a big example of how well you can have an evolution. When you consider him when he came here and where he is today he has evolved very well. Not many would have believed that he could be Arsenal captain when he arrived.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09