Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:28 pm

did he say no to buying in january or maybe?
User avatar
Bristol_Gunner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Trina » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Bristol_Gunner wrote:did he say no to buying in january or maybe?



Nothing was mentioned about it.
Le Boss
User avatar
Trina
The Boss
The Boss
 
Posts: 24045
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Trina » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
gzagee wrote:Nothing gained, nothing lost.


Yeah except man. U, Chelsea and Liverpool all won today didn't they? So we're yet another 2 points behind them.

I have given the league up now but i would have hoped for 3rd place at least. Even that looks iffy now. I cannot believe how shoddy the defending is when we are 2-1 up in injury time. :BangHead: :BangHead: I just don't understand Arsenal at all at the moment - not at all. Not cos we are playing crap - i am used to that from the mid 90's but how we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and don't learn from them.

Wenger must buy. To be fair i thought Gallas and Sagna in particular had good games today - am not even sure if its another defender we need. We are crying out for a decent DM - Wenger has to buy one - defence and goalkeeper are constantly exposed and i believe thats largely the reason why.


I've hoped we will finish fourth for a few weeks now to be honest.

IMO I wouldn't say Gallas has been great, pretty poor to be honest. Well I say poor, but I mean the mistakes he made when he should know better. Silvestre has played miles better than him.
Le Boss
User avatar
Trina
The Boss
The Boss
 
Posts: 24045
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby maslo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Pathetic.

This team is tactical roadkill, we're headed out of the top 4, because the team is average, and the manager seems to have gone on a permanent holiday to cloud cuckoo land :BangHead:


yeh we have again lost a lead, but villa played better than us.
at least they havnt won, im as angry as the next gooner but theres no point over exagerating and saying we're headed out of the top four. for me personally i just can't see villa holding it we will be in the top four at the end of season (and i still think we can win it :lol:) nah title was gone ages ago but top four we'll be fine.

as for the game diaby was great, eboue played alright we should and could have had a couple more and its just abit crap again really. dissapointed.


How we played today and the result makes me think we are now fifth.

I don't understand how you think Villa will drop? The first half they played like we did years ago. Full of spirit, strength, speed, passion and these games where you just hit the post! And this is every week they play like this, not now and again. Compare that to how we play and you really think they will drop?


i dont know, we have quality players out who will come back for the end of the season and the toughest time, at the moment Villa are pretty much full strength (i think) but the season will take its toll on them, i just think we'll be fine, imagine villa if young and agbonlahor got injured? thats their pace gone their attack gone. i just think frail as are team is potentially Villa have the possibility to fall apart worse than us and im sure we'll get it back.
how many on here not can honestly think we'll finish 5th tho? ill probably end up eating my words but i just cant see it.
User avatar
maslo
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Trina » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:43 pm

maslo wrote:
Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Pathetic.

This team is tactical roadkill, we're headed out of the top 4, because the team is average, and the manager seems to have gone on a permanent holiday to cloud cuckoo land :BangHead:


yeh we have again lost a lead, but villa played better than us.
at least they havnt won, im as angry as the next gooner but theres no point over exagerating and saying we're headed out of the top four. for me personally i just can't see villa holding it we will be in the top four at the end of season (and i still think we can win it :lol:) nah title was gone ages ago but top four we'll be fine.

as for the game diaby was great, eboue played alright we should and could have had a couple more and its just abit crap again really. dissapointed.


How we played today and the result makes me think we are now fifth.

I don't understand how you think Villa will drop? The first half they played like we did years ago. Full of spirit, strength, speed, passion and these games where you just hit the post! And this is every week they play like this, not now and again. Compare that to how we play and you really think they will drop?


i dont know, we have quality players out who will come back for the end of the season and the toughest time, at the moment Villa are pretty much full strength (i think) but the season will take its toll on them, i just think we'll be fine, imagine villa if young and agbonlahor got injured? thats their pace gone their attack gone. i just think frail as are team is potentially Villa have the possibility to fall apart worse than us and im sure we'll get it back.
how many on here not can honestly think we'll finish 5th tho? ill probably end up eating my words but i just cant see it.


I agree the season may take the toll on them and their squad depth isn't great. But it's all IF's with them. IF they have injuries, IF there form drops, IF they get tired. Plus, even if they do drop points, which don't get me wrong, I think they will do. It means us winning all the time and topping them which I can't see happening. Yes we have players coming back, but when was the last time you saw a player come back from injury and be on form straight away let alone top form.

I think it's a battle for fourth place to be honest, and a big one.

Also when our players do come back, it may be too late by then.
Le Boss
User avatar
Trina
The Boss
The Boss
 
Posts: 24045
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby maslo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Pathetic.

This team is tactical roadkill, we're headed out of the top 4, because the team is average, and the manager seems to have gone on a permanent holiday to cloud cuckoo land :BangHead:


yeh we have again lost a lead, but villa played better than us.
at least they havnt won, im as angry as the next gooner but theres no point over exagerating and saying we're headed out of the top four. for me personally i just can't see villa holding it we will be in the top four at the end of season (and i still think we can win it :lol:) nah title was gone ages ago but top four we'll be fine.

as for the game diaby was great, eboue played alright we should and could have had a couple more and its just abit crap again really. dissapointed.


How we played today and the result makes me think we are now fifth.

I don't understand how you think Villa will drop? The first half they played like we did years ago. Full of spirit, strength, speed, passion and these games where you just hit the post! And this is every week they play like this, not now and again. Compare that to how we play and you really think they will drop?


i dont know, we have quality players out who will come back for the end of the season and the toughest time, at the moment Villa are pretty much full strength (i think) but the season will take its toll on them, i just think we'll be fine, imagine villa if young and agbonlahor got injured? thats their pace gone their attack gone. i just think frail as are team is potentially Villa have the possibility to fall apart worse than us and im sure we'll get it back.
how many on here not can honestly think we'll finish 5th tho? ill probably end up eating my words but i just cant see it.


I agree the season may take the toll on them and their squad depth isn't great. But it's all IF's with them. IF they have injuries, IF there form drops, IF they get tired. Plus, even if they do drop points, which don't get me wrong, I think they will do. It means us winning all the time and topping them which I can't see happening. Yes we have players coming back, but when was the last time you saw a player come back from injury and be on form straight away let alone top form.

I think it's a battle for fourth place to be honest, and a big one.

Also when our players do come back, it may be too late by then.


yeh totally agree, a battle for fourth, only three points behind tho, i think we will drop less than them from here till the end. your right about players coming back tho, but they may not come back at their best straight away but its always going to aid the team, i personally think once theo comes back we'll look alot more balanced again and start getting back to some consistency, altohugh we have now lost cesc :S

ok im unsure too, but we need to stay optimistic :) Arsenal for Fourth!
User avatar
maslo
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby ScottishLass » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Trina wrote:
maslo wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Pathetic.

This team is tactical roadkill, we're headed out of the top 4, because the team is average, and the manager seems to have gone on a permanent holiday to cloud cuckoo land :BangHead:


yeh we have again lost a lead, but villa played better than us.
at least they havnt won, im as angry as the next gooner but theres no point over exagerating and saying we're headed out of the top four. for me personally i just can't see villa holding it we will be in the top four at the end of season (and i still think we can win it :lol:) nah title was gone ages ago but top four we'll be fine.

as for the game diaby was great, eboue played alright we should and could have had a couple more and its just abit crap again really. dissapointed.


How we played today and the result makes me think we are now fifth.

I don't understand how you think Villa will drop? The first half they played like we did years ago. Full of spirit, strength, speed, passion and these games where you just hit the post! And this is every week they play like this, not now and again. Compare that to how we play and you really think they will drop?


i dont know, we have quality players out who will come back for the end of the season and the toughest time, at the moment Villa are pretty much full strength (i think) but the season will take its toll on them, i just think we'll be fine, imagine villa if young and agbonlahor got injured? thats their pace gone their attack gone. i just think frail as are team is potentially Villa have the possibility to fall apart worse than us and im sure we'll get it back.
how many on here not can honestly think we'll finish 5th tho? ill probably end up eating my words but i just cant see it.


I agree the season may take the toll on them and their squad depth isn't great. But it's all IF's with them. IF they have injuries, IF there form drops, IF they get tired. Plus, even if they do drop points, which don't get me wrong, I think they will do. It means us winning all the time and topping them which I can't see happening. Yes we have players coming back, but when was the last time you saw a player come back from injury and be on form straight away let alone top form.

I think it's a battle for fourth place to be honest, and a big one.

Also when our players do come back, it may be too late by then.


Thats something I don't understand. Why are people mentioning Villa's squad depth as a reason for them not holding onto 4th spot? Their depth is far better than ours. For starters they have a good first team. We don't even have that. We practically don't have a midfield. I do think Villa can hold onto fourth.
Image
User avatar
ScottishLass
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:59 pm

yes if anything our squad is weaker and it is very frustrating seeimg what is happaning to arsenal at the moment. Though i feel we should keep wenger its my view that at the moment his ignorence is costing the club.
User avatar
Bristol_Gunner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby essexgunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi guys. Just got back it after watchin the game. I think we were lucky not to be 3 or 4 down at half time. The first half hour we were battered. 2nd half we were better and showed some steel. Gallas own was very poor by him. And then fell asleep in the final mins.

Kind you this morning I would have taken a draw so overall not as bad as it would appear.

I think we will barrel our way through this. Title over for us but we will finish in the top 4
essexgunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby gzagee » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Laura wrote:
gzagee wrote:Draw feels hollow. 2 goal lead lost again. Didn't think that would happen again.
S'pose it's credit to Villa, they could've been outta sight by half time.
Nothing gained, nothing lost.


But isnt that the difference, if we'd gone 2 down then we'd not have had the fight to come back. Maybe that's why theyve got their noses ahead, I still think the whole league is far from over but we need to tighten up big time


But we didn't go 2 down, we should be focusing on what actually happened, so I'm unsure of the argument you're trying to make.

@Gigi, in the context of league positions we are in a battle with Villa. I'd forget the other 3. That's why I made the statement nothing gained, nothing lost. Fourth spot is still attainable.
Image
User avatar
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008
 
Posts: 20802
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Nadir and Nirvana

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby gzagee » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:10 pm

essexgunner wrote:Hi guys. Just got back it after watchin the game. I think we were lucky not to be 3 or 4 down at half time. The first half hour we were battered. 2nd half we were better and showed some steel. Gallas own was very poor by him. And then fell asleep in the final mins.

Kind you this morning I would have taken a draw so overall not as bad as it would appear.

I think we will barrel our way through this. Title over for us but we will finish in the top 4


Indeed.

Peeps mustn't forget that we started the game without the following players:

Djorou - injured
Cesc - injured
TW - injured
Ade - suspended
Dudu - injured
Clichy - sub, not match fit
Add to that Song went off injured.
(Forget Sicky.)

This from an already weak squad compared to our rivals. Given our state of affairs I think most would've taken a draw. I would.
Okay, a couple of mistakes cost us again but, we were playing a Villa team who are brimming with confidence and wanted to make an example of us. So the result wasn't that bad.
The hunt for CL is still very much on.
Image
User avatar
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008
 
Posts: 20802
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Nadir and Nirvana

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:13 pm

gzagee wrote:
essexgunner wrote:Hi guys. Just got back it after watchin the game. I think we were lucky not to be 3 or 4 down at half time. The first half hour we were battered. 2nd half we were better and showed some steel. Gallas own was very poor by him. And then fell asleep in the final mins.

Kind you this morning I would have taken a draw so overall not as bad as it would appear.

I think we will barrel our way through this. Title over for us but we will finish in the top 4


Indeed.

Peeps mustn't forget that we started the game without the following players:

Djorou - injured
Cesc - injured
TW - injured
Ade - suspended
Dudu - injured
Clichy - sub, not match fit
Add to that Song went off injured.
(Forget Sicky.)

This from an already weak squad compared to our rivals. Given our state of affairs I think most would've taken a draw. I would.
Okay, a couple of mistakes cost us again but, we were playing a Villa team who are brimming with confidence and wanted to make an example of us. So the result wasn't that bad.
The hunt for CL is still very much on.


This isnt the first and wont be the last time that we will also loose in that fasion. ALso to be in a position of relative control and 2-0 that is another annoying factor. I mean i know people would take a draw, i mean i probably would before the game but from the position we were in, Na im not happy and i am not pleased with the score.
User avatar
Bristol_Gunner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby gzagee » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Bristol, although it feels like a loss, we didn't actually lose.
EDIT: ergo, Villa didn't win.
Image
User avatar
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008
 
Posts: 20802
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Nadir and Nirvana

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:30 pm

yeah, i should of put it more clearly but i meant when we lost the lead. Anyway all teams will drop points. All we can do is hope that we dont drop as many and build up some momentum. i know we wont panic buy but we do need to bring some sort of personel in in january as our sqaud seems to dwindle after even one injury.
User avatar
Bristol_Gunner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Aston Villa Vs Arsenal | Premiership 26/12/2008

Postby essexgunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Guys overall we showed something that we were missing .... Communication and fight!!

I thought we could have won but be realistic villa were good and we got plenty of " the rub of the green" in the 1st half.

Look we didn't loose we march on

This is a very different and close league this year... Fullham in 8th are still looking out fir the drop. Funnier things have happened we might so a trebel!!!
essexgunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 08/09

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest