Porto Vs Arsenal | Champions League 10/12/08

Re: Porto Vs Arsenal | Champions League 10/12/08

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm not surprised that we couldn't get a result tonight with so many players missing.
What annoys me though is that some fans paid a lot of money to see that pile of shite and Wenger has the audacity to say that he really wants to win the game because otherwise he'll feel guilty.

He clearly didn't want to win it that much or he'd have put a better squad out.
RVP could've been on the bench and one or two others.
It's disrespectful to the fans to peddle that pile of wank and then pretend that we could've won it.
If the squad isn't deep enough to cope with injuries then buy more players.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:14 pm

Inchpractice wrote:I'm not surprised that we couldn't get a result tonight with so many players missing.
What annoys me though is that some fans paid a lot of money to see that pile of shite and Wenger has the audacity to say that he really wants to win the game because otherwise he'll feel guilty.

It's disrespectful to the fans to peddle that pile of wank and then pretend that we could've won it.

Well said mate.

That was our squad on show tonight people.

Be afraid :hiding: :snooty:
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 pm

So we can get

Roma
Barcelona
Panathinaikos
Bayern Munich
Juventus

I'd take any of em but Barca cheers but preferably Pana!
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Pana would be good, we'd get to see Gilberto again wouldn't we?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Pana would be good, we'd get to see Gilberto again wouldn't we?

Indeed, I have a feeling we're gonna get Bayern though.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:08 am

We normally play better against the better teams so it doesn't really matter to be honest.

New game up in christmas section, £10 sports voucher for the winner
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:47 am

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Come on guys, the deflecting statements and calls for calm are wearing a bit thin now.

Yes, we were already through

Yes, it was a squad side

Yes, etc, etc, etc

But don't you think these continual poor performances are some cause for concern?

I damn well do! :snooty:

I'm concerned. I've been thinking maybe we need a solid CDM and we'd be sorted, but lately I've been thinking that we may need much more than that. I know our injuries are bad (seems to be a theme the last few years), but nobody is playing well. It shocks me to see us passing so bad, how did we go from one of the best passing teams last year, to where we're at now? It makes me think that maybe we played a little above ourselves for most of last year, cause you wouldn't think that just losing Hleb and Flamini would cause us to lose that much passing ability. I do think we miss Hleb much more than most think, and I said this earlier. Although Nasri is a great player, we still miss that player that can keep possession and pull out a slick pass, Nasri isn't as good at that as Hleb was, thats why Hleb was so valuable to us I thought, especially since teams seem to be snapping at our heals a lot lately. Another major problem is our defense on the counter attack, in a nutshell it sucks, we're real shaky, and I noticed that we have no pace at the back except Clichy, Gallas is slow, Tweety is slow, and Djourou although he has been playing well is not that fast either. And with the style of play we have that is a major problem since we have to defend the counter attack a lot.

A couple of bright spots for me were when Gibbs and lil Jack came on. Gibbs looked real confident on the wing, had some good touches, and controlled the ball well (maybe he should stay in that position), and of course Jack looked like a threat once again.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:03 am

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has insisted he has no regrets over his team selection despite losing 2-0 to Porto in the UEFA Champions League.

The defeat allowed the Portuguese club to claim top spot in Group G as the Gunners finished runners-up ahead of next week's draw for the knock-out stages.

Wenger had a number of injuries to contend with heading into the encounter while he chose to rest players with Saturday's away Premier League match versus Middlesbrough in mind.

He told Sky Sports: "I do not regret not bringing out a more experienced squad because a lot of players have little injuries.

"We know we are in a position in the (Premier League) championship where every game is vital to us and that is what we decided to protect this week."
Weak

Of the performance, Wenger said: "In the first half we were not disappointing, but we were too weak when we were 2-0 down.

"I believe we were quite comfortable in the first half until they scored the first goal.

"What was disappointing was that when we tried to come back, especially when we were 2-0 down, we were not able to be dangerous."

The Gunners now face the possibility of being drawn against the likes of Juventus, Bayern Munich and Barcelona in next round, but Wenger is sure his side can be a force in Europe.

"It is going to be difficult but we will be up for it and we have a chance against anybody in Europe," he said.

Eboue

Emmanuel Eboue started the game and played the full 90 minutes following criticism from supporters in Arsenal's 1-0 win over Wigan Athletic last weekend.

The Ivorian was, however, backed by the travelling fans at Estadio do Dragao and Wenger was pleased with their response.

He added: "It was very positive. He needed that."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 67,00.html
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby thebish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am

jayantmoudgil wrote:I have a feeling we'll get Juve or Bayern

wouldn't worry about Bayern... we played them in the UEFA a couple of seasons ago - away - fielding our reserves - and came away with a 2-2 draw... ;)

you have to play the top teams if you're going to win - and if you're not gonna win it you might as well get knocked out now and save yourselves for the title and/or FA Cup...
thebish

Postby bergie4ever » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 am

Pathetic and boring game... :doh:

Yesterday we were in Porto just for tourism!! :disgust:
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Inchpractice wrote:I'm not surprised that we couldn't get a result tonight with so many players missing.

Well Said.

TBH rather than mix the players up in a big game like that despite us having already qualified, you either play a reserve side or a full side, not half n half, tbh i think if the full carling cup side was put out we'd have seen better, they know eachothers game & they have a chemistry.

On the positive side it did give a few players the opportunity to see what its like on the big stage.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby StLGooner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:58 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:

Well Said.

TBH rather than mix the players up in a big game like that despite us having already qualified, you either play a reserve side or a full side, not half n half, tbh i think if the full carling cup side was put out we'd have seen better, they know eachothers game & they have a chemistry.

On the positive side it did give a few players the opportunity to see what its like on the big stage.

I think people are forgetting here that we didn't have much of a choice to put out a full side. With the exception of Ade and RvP, who else could we have put in. Cesc is hurt, and may not even play Saturday, and even if we did put in Ade and RvP, it wouldn't have mattered as much, since our midfield didn't do much to help out Vela or Nick. I agree with Wengers selection to be honest.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09