Burnley Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 02/12/08

Burnley Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 02/12/08

Postby SE13 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Burnley Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 02/12/08

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Wenger names 18-man squad for Carling Cup

Arsène Wenger has named an 18-man squad for tonight's Carling Cup Fourth-Round tie against Burnley at Turf Moor.

The squad is as follows...

12 Carlos VELA
16 Aaron RAMSEY
18 Mikael SILVESTRE
19 Jack WILSHERE
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
24 Vito MANNONE (GK)
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
28 Amaury BISCHOFF
35 Francis COQUELIN
40 Kieran GIBBS
41 Gavin HOYTE
42 Henri LANSBURY
43 Fran MERIDA
47 Mark RANDALL
49 Paul RODGERS
50 Jay SIMPSON
51 Rene STEER
56 Emmanuel FRIMPONG

© Arsenal.com
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Silvestre, Vela, Bendtner to start at Burnley

Mikael Silvestre, Carlos Vela and Nicklas Bendtner are all likely to start for Arsenal at Burnley on Tuesday in the Carling Cup Quarter-Finals.

Arsène Wenger has said he intends to play a young side through this competition this season but, as ever, will utilise the bench from the previous Premier League game at Turf Moor. That means these three internationals will be involved.

However, overall it will be another young Arsenal side on display in Lancashire and a couple of injuries against Chelsea have given the Frenchman less room for manoeuvre.

Johan Djourou (hip), Manuel Almunia (head) and William Gallas (calf) all left Stamford Bridge with knocks. The last of those is the most serious and even that was described by Wenger as “light” but, as a result, he’ll be taking no risks.

“It will be the usual team for us,” Wenger told Arsenal TV Online on Monday. “But then with all the players we have out it may be even younger than before.

“The players who were on the bench at Chelsea will be involved but those who started will not.

“That means Silvestre will play and so will Fabianski of course. We have some other first-team players [that] will play too – Vela and Bendtner.

“But we cannot play Djourou for example, he was injured at Chelsea. Gallas as well has a little calf problem. Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue are not back so they will not be involved.”

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Wenger: Carling Cup record gets little credit

Arsène Wenger believes that Arsenal do not get enough credit for their impressive Carling Cup record.

For the past decade, the Frenchman has used the competition to blood his young players. Initially the ploy met with criticism but, in time, other major English clubs followed suit.

And of course, Arsenal have been one of the most consistent Carling Cup performers. They have not won it but in the last seven seasons they have reached the Final once, the Semi-Finals three times and the Quarter Finals twice.

Tonight they visit Burnley, again in the last eight.

“I believe that the Club doesn’t get enough credit for that record,” said Wenger.

“We have always stayed faithful to our policy and we have always done well.

“I still believe it is very unfair that, even with the quality shown, when you get to the Quarter-Final, everybody wants you to kick [the youngsters] out for the experienced players.”

However, perhaps Arsenal’s record in the competition indicates that throwing in youngsters, while highly beneficial in their development, will only take you so far.

“It doesn’t matter,” Wenger replied when the idea was put to him. “For me, we know what we want from this competition and we stick to it.

“People say that we haven’t won the trophy [but] we have done really well in this competition considering that we use the competition in an educational way.”

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:52 pm

'The whole town is bouncing at the moment'

They saw off Fulham and they stunned Chelsea. Now Burnley have their sights on a hat-trick of London victims when Arsenal visit Turf Moor.

One of football's most famous names is enjoying something of a renaissance this season and Arsène Wenger's Carling Cup kids could get a rude awakening in Lancashire. Shorn of the home comforts of Emirates Stadium, Arsenal's youngsters face a physical test against one of the Championship's form sides.

Burnley are well-placed for a promotion push and have lost just once at home this term. They made short work of Derby at the weekend and, although high-profile opponents are currently a Cup luxury, they will become a staple diet if Burnley maintain their current form and reach the Premier League.

We asked Chris Boden of theBurnley Express for a Lancashire perspective ahead of Tuesday night's tie. Read on for her take on a dazzling Cup run, the long-term ambitions at Turf Moor and the reasons why the Clarets fancy their chances against Wenger's young side.

THE STORY SO FAR

“Obviously the Chelsea result stands out the most. It was probably the most memorable night watching Burnley in the last 25 years. Probably since they beat Tottenham 4-1in the Quarter Finals in 1983, which Arsenal fans will appreciate. It was an unbelievable night at Stamford Bridge and it was fully deserved in the end. They played some terrific passing football, rode their luck a bit as you have to do in the cup ties but came out on top in the end on penalties. The Fulham game, they came through deservedly so in the last minute with a brilliantly taken goal by young Jay Rodriguez’s - his first goal for the club.

“When they start as they did on Saturday, really high tempo, get the ball down, with good movement from attack-minded players, it has been paying off. Obviously they didn’t start very well; they lost 4-1 at Sheffield Wednesday on the opening day and then got beaten 3-0 in their first home game against Ipswich Town but they are 11 unbeaten at home going into the Arsenal tie.”

THE ONE TO WATCH

“There are a few of them. From a defensive point of view the captain, Steven Cauldwell, has been absolutely fantastic. He was sent off at Chelsea in extra time but he is one that has won promotion from this level with Sunderland. He is absolutely rock-solid, not the quickest but a real commanding presence. Further forward there is Martin Paterson who is top scorer and then there is the likes of Chris Eagles who has forced his way back into the side after an early sending off set him back a bit. Robbie Blake is another one, a real flair player, who is on the same wavelength as Eagles. The pair are capable of causing any team problems like you saw at Stamford Bridge.

“I would imagine Rodriguez will be on the bench considering there are seven substitutes allowed. He has just been edged out of the side in recent weeks by Ade Akinbiyi who has came on and scored at Chelsea and has kept himself in the 16-man squad since then. He is a young lad, only 19 years of age and his father played local football in the area and was a natural goalscorer and Jay is in a similar vein.”

MAN OF THE MOMENT

“If it he gets on the pitch at some stage I am sure he will cause problems. He is a bit more of an impact player in this day and age. He started the game at Barnsley last week and had a disappointing night by his standards and was taken off 10 minutes into the second half for Martin Paterson who came on and scored two terrific goals. He is built like a super-middleweight as all football fans know, he is a real handful and you certainly wouldn’t fancy competing against him physically. He is not as quick as he used to be but he has really refined his player, particularly after working with Andy Cole last season. He has developed a sureness of touch and holding up play and I think every Burnley fan loves him to pieces, he is a real credit.”

TALKING TACTICS

“People may look at their disciplinary record and see they have had five red cards already this season but it couldn’t be further from the truth to be honest, they are not that sort of side. On some occasions they have gone into games with a holding midfielder, Graham Alexander, as they have done in the last two outings. But other times they go for an out and out 4-4-2 with a fluid forward line. They will simply look to get the ball wide and utilise the flair of Eagles and Blake and then the pace of Paterson. They will try to do to Arsenal what Arsenal do to everyone else.”

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL

“I don’t think anyone expects Arsenal to be a soft touch. We were speaking to Paterson about the fact that Arsenal’s two Carling Cup wins have come at home in that magnificent stadium but it takes a real bravery to play in front of those crowds on that sort of scale. Obviously the Reserves play at Barnet which, with all due respect, isn’t the most welcoming venue, much like Turf Moor. I am sure the young lads will come and put on a show but with it being a home game, Burnley unbeaten in 11 there, on the back of the Chelsea result and having run Arsenal really close in the FA Cup last season, they have every chance.

“The fans are more in hope than expectation but the whole town is bouncing at the minute after the Chelsea result. That was backed up with a Championship win at QPR on the Saturday when they came from behind to win. They are fourth in the table and they are dreaming of Premier League football, playing the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea every other week rather than in one-off cup games. The football is pleasing on the eye and it is bringing the fans back in and at this time when money’s tight, it has given the town a real lift.”

IMPRESSIONS OF ARSENAL

“It was a terrific game in the FA Cup last season. I can remember an early chance for Kyle Lafferty, who has since moved on to Rangers, thumping a header against the bar. Two moments of top, top quality from Eduardo won it in the end. The first finish was a lovely one and then obviously Nicklas Bendtner with a wonderful second goal that carved Burnley wide open. Maybe if Lafferty hadn’t been sent off it might have been a different story. Looking back through the Arsenal team there were the likes of Bacary Sagna, Emmanuel Eboue, real top, top players. Even though they might not be here this time there will be people like Aaron Ramsey and obviously we know all about Mark Randall. Top class players and it will be an almighty task.

“People didn’t feel wrong done last time although the Lafferty decision was a bit controversial. Burnley were particularly proud and they got a bit of national recognition for their efforts and the way they play their football. They took that on board and have enhanced that further and they are more a progressive-attacking force now. They enjoyed the plaudits and they would like to build on the win against Chelsea to get back in the national conscience.”

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Wenger - We have so much quality up front

Arsenal's embarrassment of riches up front means there is even competition for places in their Carling Cup attack.

It's not so long since some Arsenal fans clamoured for a new striker at Emirates Stadium but this season has shown why Arsène Wenger decided not to reinforce his strikeforce.

While Emmanuel Adebayor, Robin van Persie and Nicklas Bendtner have shared the load in the Premier League and Champions League, Bendtner and Carlos Vela led the line in the Third Round of the Carling Cup before Jay Simpson staked his claim with a brace in the Fourth-Round win over Wigan.

Eduardo's imminent return from injury, plus the steady progress of Rui Fonte, gives Wenger even more options. Ahead of tonight's Quarter-Final at Burnley, the Frenchman waxed lyrical over the depth of attacking talent at the Club.

"Jay Simpson has improved a lot," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. "His main strength is good runs around the box and he is a good finisher.

"We have a choice up front because there is Nicklas Bendtner, Vela, Simpson, Rui Fonte, so there is a good fight for places in there. That is why, even in the Carling Cup, if you want to be in the team you have to fight.

"You will see Vela [on Tuesday night]. I played him against Dynamo Kyiv because he is doing well. Vela will play in big, important games. I have no reluctance to play him. Dynamo Kyiv was a massive game for us and I played him."

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm f***ing pissed they're not showing this here today. :BangHead:

Anyway, I hope Coquelin starts.

I won't be able to watch the live stream at work, but does anybody know where you can watch it online after the game is over when I get home?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:48 pm

This should be live on ATV the bastards.
I hope Coquelin starts too.
In a way it's more likely since neither Song or Denilson will play but then Randall may be preferred.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Squad travelling to Burnley:

12 Carlos VELA
16 Aaron RAMSEY
18 Mikael SILVESTRE
19 Jack WILSHERE
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
24 Vito MANNONE (GK)
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
28 Amaury BISCHOFF
35 Francis COQUELIN
40 Kieran GIBBS
41 Gavin HOYTE
42 Henri LANSBURY
43 Fran MERIDA
47 Mark RANDALL
49 Paul RODGERS
50 Jay SIMPSON
51 Rene STEER
56 Emmanuel FRIMPONG

Arsenal.Com

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Wenger – My two big uses for the Carling Cup

Arsène Wenger believes that the Carling Cup serves two crucial purposes in the honing of young Arsenal talent.

The Club’s youth philosophy has added new life to a competition that has recently fallen out of favour with England’s biggest clubs. A 6-0 hammering of Sheffield United and a consummate 3-0 victory over Wigan Athletic illuminated previous rounds as well as propelling the Arsenal youngsters into the national spotlight.

Wenger believes that as well as providing his players with vital first-team experience, the Carling Cup is the first opportunity for him to assess a player’s first-team credentials.

“The Carling Cup is the first real competition test,” said the manager ahead of Tuesday’s encounter with Burnley. “You may know that the player is good in the youth teams and training but then it is about how he performs on the big stage, with that pressure and on television. When every fight for the ball is hard, that is when you see if yes he can make it or no, he doesn’t have a big chance.

“The players who play in the Carling Cup know that they can play at any minute in the Premier League. For me I don’t make a big difference I just use this competition to give those players that I believe have the potential to play in the Premier League but need experience.”

© Arsenal.com
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Its on Sky Sports 1 tonight,So I'll be heading to Geraldine's to watch it :D
Would be nice to see Eduardo get on in the last few minutes just to get a feel for the atmosphear again!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Burnley team anyone?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Burnley team anyone?

All I have seen so far is this from Auntie Beeb....

Burnley have a slight concern over Wade Elliott, who has had a groin problem in recent weeks, ahead of their home tie against Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

Christian Kalvenes and Remco van der Schaaf are also doubts for the Clarets, who are enjoying an impressive run.

© The BBC

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Anyone know why Stallone is starting in defence?

I thought it would be Song and Djourou in there? They aren't even in the sqaud :think:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 pm

gunngunn wrote:Anyone know why Stallone is starting in defence?

I thought it would be Song and Djourou in there? They aren't even in the sqaud :think:

Didn't they play on Sunday? If they did, suprised you even asked that question...
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09