Burnley Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 02/12/08

Re: Burnley Vs Arsenal | Carling Cup 02/12/08

Postby Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, poor result, but to be fair other then Fabianski and Bendtner (who was dire) i think the rest played ok. Not great but ok, we had some chances which bendtner should have done WAY better with, but at least we created them (admittedly first half was better that way then second...)

In my eyes it wasn't that we were especially awful (remember how young these kids are) but after seeing them against Wigan i did expect a bit better from them, but fair play to Burnley - they played very well and deserved their victory (i only hope their luck will hold if they get man.U or spuds in the next round).

Looking on the bright side - i'd rather go out the CC to Burnley then how we went out last year...
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm

I will say right now in this thread that the only two out of the current crop of youngsters who will play top level football at top-four type standard will be Ramsay and Vela.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ScottishLass » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:I will say right now in this thread that the only two out of the current crop of youngsters who will play top level football at top-four type standard will be Ramsay and Vela.

You could argue a couple more ontop of that. Wilshire has a bright bright future. Merida has something there - I reckon he will come good in the end. From what I've seen of Coquelin ( admittedly not as much as I'd like to see ), he seems to have serious potential.

The rest in my opinion dont have a future at Arsenal.
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 am

ScottishLass wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:I will say right now in this thread that the only two out of the current crop of youngsters who will play top level football at top-four type standard will be Ramsay and Vela.

You could argue a couple more ontop of that. Wilshire has a bright bright future. Merida has something there - I reckon he will come good in the end. From what I've seen of Coquelin ( admittedly not as much as I'd like to see ), he seems to have serious potential.

Wilshire will be top flight but not top four, same Merida, although he might do better abroad.
I know nothing about Coquelin so cant comment.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 am

Up For Grabs Now wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:

Wilshire will be top flight but not top four, same Merida, although he might do better abroad.
I know nothing about Coquelin so cant comment.

Possibly being a bit too harsh on Wilshire? For his age, he is immense. He seems to want to work hard also which makes me believe he will get MUCH better. It will be interesting to see how many of them do make it at Arsenal (if any).
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:09 am

This is a ludicrously ludicrously early, rash and knee-jerk statement to make.
How the hell can anyone tell which one of a bunch of 16-20 year-old players have a future at Arsenal when you've only seen them play a few games and even then it was against far older opposition?
You don't see them in training and probably not even in the reserves. All you've done is pick out the 'flair' players and write off the rest.
What about the players who do all the unglamorous dirty work in the midfield? What about players like Kieran Gibbs who was excellent today and his only mistakes are the ones that come simply from being young?

It's utterly preposterous to look at a bunch of players who haven't even grown pubes yet, let alone developed their full height and strength and say 'this one has no future at the top level but this one has'.
They are ALL 'Work in Progress' - that's the whole point of Wenger's approach to the CC.

Christ, in a minute someone will say we should've played the first team. :rolleyes:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am

Inchpractice wrote:

This is a ludicrously ludicrously early, rash and knee-jerk statement to make.
How the hell can anyone tell which one of a bunch of 16-20 year-old players have a future at Arsenal when you've only seen them play a few games and even then it was against far older opposition?
You don't see them in training and probably not even in the reserves. All you've done is pick out the 'flair' players and write off the rest.
What about the players who do all the unglamorous dirty work in the midfield? What about players like Kieran Gibbs who was excellent today and his only mistakes are the ones that come simply from being young?

It's utterly preposterous to look at a bunch of players who haven't even grown pubes yet, let alone developed their full height and strength and say 'this one has no future at the top level but this one has'.
They are ALL 'Work in Progress' - that's the whole point of Wenger's approach to the CC.

Christ, in a minute someone will say we should've played the first team. :rolleyes:

We should have played the first team!!!!

Sorry, nah but seriously.. You can kind of tell from this age if the foundations are there to build on. With a few they clearly dont have the foundations.
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am

I am just looking at the genuine star quality of the players. A small percentage of them will make it to the highest level, thats only natural, otherwise top clubs would never have to buy anyone. I dont see that this lot stand out any more than last year's or the year before or the year before that, therefore I have picked out the only two who will be GENUINE LONG TERM top level players. And by top level I mean Champions League. I hope I'm wrong about Wilshire.

UFGN

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 am

ScottishLass wrote:We should have played the first team!!!!

Sorry, nah but seriously.. You can kind of tell from this age if the foundations are there to build on. With a few they clearly dont have the foundations.

I really don't think it's as easy as people make out.
You can't just sit in your armchair and write people off. For example some of these players will have bad games, months or seasons but then the following season they explode into life.
Simpson is only one example.
Some of them could be totally overwhelmed by a CC game and perform to 10% of their usual ability but then be superb in the reserves. That's just confidence and fear.
That will change radically with age.

Trust me some of these players will be unrecognisable in about 3 years time, and that's in both directions - good and bad.
You simply won't believe it's the same player, and you can quote me on that.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:35 am

Inchpractice wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:We should have played the first team!!!!

I really don't think it's as easy as people make out.
You can't just sit in your armchair and write people off. For example some of these players will have bad games, months or seasons but then the following season they explode into life.
Simpson is only one example.
Some of them could be totally overwhelmed by a CC game and perform to 10% of their usual ability but then be superb in the reserves. That's just confidence and fear.
That will change radically with age.

Trust me some of these players will be unrecognisable in about 3 years time, and that's in both directions - good and bad.
You simply won't believe it's the same player, and you can quote me on that.

Obviously I understand that players will change dramatically over the next few years. Aren't we allowed to have our opinions on who we think will make it and who won't? After all alot of things to do with football are speculation. :sneaky:
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Trina » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:25 am

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Bendtner misses the easiest chance of the match.

I almost feel sorry for him, he's AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWFUL :rolleyes:

How many did he actually miss? I only saw the first 15 minutes and he missed 2 then.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:05 am

Trina wrote:
Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:Bendtner misses the easiest chance of the match.

I almost feel sorry for him, he's AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWFUL :rolleyes:

How many did he actually miss? I only saw the first 15 minutes and he missed 2 then.

If memory serves me correctly he missed 4 1 on 1's and Vela missed 2? I could be wrong though.
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 am

I think this result has been a reality check for a lot of you guys on here to be honest.
Just a few weeks back when we were on our loosing streak,most of you guys were calling for AW to call up the youngsters becuase they seemed to be ready ad had the 'chemistry and talent to beat most teams', to roughly quote a few on you guys.

Well i do really hate to say I told you so but well I did! ;)
Raw talent and chemistry counts for nothing when you have players in the team who shouldnt even be there in the first place.. Like Rodgers; he was like a rabbit caught in headlights and was totally overwhelmed by the whole occasion,Bendtner should have never started ahead of Simpson,the young lad played excellent against Wigan and this is how AW repays him? By dropping him for a very,very out of form striker.

My concerns are starting to grow with Bendy more & more these days becuase he's has just not shown any kind of progress this season in the slightest,its more lilke hes taken a few steps back to be quite honest.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Igmalian » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 am

ScottishLass wrote:If memory serves me correctly he missed 4 1 on 1's and Vela missed 2? I could be wrong though.

Bendtner missed 3 (could've been 4, I was too busy throwing things at the tv every time he got the ball!) Vela missed 1 and Randall missed 1.

I thought there were some good performances from Gibbs, Wilshere, Merida, Simpson (should've been on earlier for Bendtner), Randall (apart from defending!) and Ramsey, I thought Rodgers did ok for his first game!

I agree that some have futures in football some don't, I watch all the reserve and youth games and think Wilshere, Gibbs, Ramsey, Vela, Randall, Simpson, Coquelin, Lansbury, Merida, Rodgers and Bischoff look good enough to go on and have top flight careers. (hopefully at Arsenal!)
To Alcohol!! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!!
Igmalian
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby bergie4ever » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 am

Always criticise Bendtner...it's a little bit pointless and boring, don't you think ?? :disgust: :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09