Arsenal Vs Manchester United | Premiership 08/11/08

Re: Arsenal Vs Manchester United | Premiership 08/11/08

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 pm

thebish wrote:
bergie4ever wrote:WHAT a QUESTION who won't leave my head: why our Gunners can't play with all their heart,like yesterday,against teams like Stoke or Hull ?? There's still some mysteries unsolved in the Arsenal Football Club... :sneaky2:

for exactly the same reason that Hull can't play like that when they play Bolton... did I mention - we just beat them?

all players raise their game for what they percive to be big games - Hull think you're big - and they they think we're crap (and they are largely right!!) so they up their game - like you up your game to play manU but take hull and stoke for granted......

That's very true but it's also because of the difference in the style of play.
Teams like Stoke would be delighted with a 0-0 draw and without Delap that's what they would've got so they spend most of the game with the bus parked in front of goal whilst Manure would almost never play like that.
They're an attacking team and they come at you every chance they get which leaves space for us to get at them on the counter.

We still struggle to break down teams who come to us looking for a 0-0 and put 11 men behind the ball but if a team tries to score against us then we've got a chance.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Hoot wrote:Well played and well won, I just hope your players don't short change you against other teams and only turn it on for the likes of United.

Thankyou, & credit to you for dropping by & saying so. :clap:
Was an excellent game, probably one of the best of the season, even from a nuetrals ponit, as quite a few people have told me who dont support either team. End to end stuff.
I hope our team use this win to their advantage, couldnt have got a better boost to get things back on track after the recent dismal performances, it was like watching the Arsenal of old, the passion was there, and we need to be playing like that every week not just when we come up against the bigger teams.

Hoot wrote:I've always thought you guys as the main treat, Mr Wenger has my utmost respect, It's died down a tad in the last few years, but we both know who are Football teams, F the rest.

I for one miss the mind games & spats between our managers, but at the same time it is nice to see them both mellow & publicly show mutal respect for one another.

One thing i will say is that Rafael looks good, well exception to that barnet he's sporting, send him to a decent barber!!! ;)
I heard his twin bro Fabio who's also at utd is meant to be a better prospect but was injured?
Sounds like you got 2 great upcoming players in these youngsters from what ive been hearing.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby left right left » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:05 pm

didnt we play well!!! the team as a whole got stuck in and played for each other, dont want to start a ruck again but bentder was crap again, the whole pub i was in were slagging him off, headless chicken everyone was shouting!!

would rather of seen vela start
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:27 pm

left right left wrote:didnt we play well!!! the team as a whole got stuck in and played for each other, dont want to start a ruck again but bentder was crap again, the whole pub i was in were slagging him off, headless chicken everyone was shouting!!

would rather of seen vela start

I can't deny it mate, he wasn't good at all, although I did miss most of the first half due to a traffic jam so I don't know what he got up to apart from the missed headers.
What pissed me off the most was that left-footed attempt in the dying minutes of the game.
He's usually the most unselfish player in the squad but this time instead of rolling the ball to Cesc who'd made a great run into the box he tries to dribble round the whole Manure defence and then score from a silly angle with his weaker foot. :BangHead:
Very un-Bendtner like.
Still, as I always say he's still young so inconsistency is part and parcel of his game at the moment.
Personally I think the size of the occasion got to him and he suffered from nerves. Pre-season he was on fire.

Shame Vela didn't get the chance to have a go at the Mancs but by the time we got to 70 minutes we needed to make defensive subs rather than attacking ones.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby the real gooner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Bendtner reminds me of John Hartson and there is a time and a place for that kind of player. 3 pm every Saturday afternoon playing No. 9 for Scunthorpe...
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:23 pm

the real gooner wrote:Bendtner reminds me of John Hartson and there is a time and a place for that kind of player. 3 pm every Saturday afternoon playing No. 9 for Scunthorpe...

Surely you mean the pub?
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby the real gooner » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Lager top at half time anyone?
the real gooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

I feel it was a very important result on Saturday because I can imagine what would have happened if we had lost.

Mathematically it was very important for us to stay close to the top and to show what kind of determination, spirit and mental attitude we have. We went out there thinking that we will win no matter what happens. No matter what happens on the pitch we will keep going and that is what we did.

I didn't doubt the spirit of my players. I acknowledged that we made some mistakes, especially against Tottenham, but I never questioned the spirit, quality or ability to play for the championship.

There is only one thing in our job and that is to go on the football pitch and show how much you want it, show quality on the pitch - and spirit - and that is what we did. I believe above all today it was a fantastic football game because both teams played with the right spirit.

We won against, for me, a great Man United side and the difference was maybe we took our chances early on and they didn't. After we scored the second goal we did hang on but tried to score the third goal on the counter-attack. We couldn't do that and that is why the game remained very tight until the end.

Samir Nasri scored our goals and he can finish with his right foot or left foot. He has a lot of pace and power and I encourage him to go into the final third. He was more of a playmaker in France who gave the ball and took it back but I believe that with his pace he can penetrate in the final third and he will score plenty of goals for us.

Nicklas Bendtner had an outstanding game. It shows how this job can change because on Wednesday he was not especially on his best form and three days later he produced a quality performance. We showed that we have the quality in our squad, even though it is questioned so many times. We showed that no matter who plays we have the spirit.

When the fourth official showed six minutes of stoppage time I was a bit surprised. I asked him if he was sure because I have never played six minutes at the end of a game.

I personally would have preferred it if my players had taken the ball to the corner flag. I prefer that to passing the ball around in our own half with three minutes to go. We would prefer to have a positive attitude in the other half of the pitch. I want them first to be in the other half of the pitch and then as close to the corner flag as possible.

We have been criticised recently but I believe that, apart from Stoke, we went to Bolton and Blackburn and we won in a convincing way. We had one accident at Stoke and after it provoked hysteria. After the 0-0 against Fenerbahce we still have eight points in the Champions League and no one else has more apart from Juventus who have 10.

It is difficult sometimes to understand why everybody became so critical so suddenly. But hopefully we answered a few critics on Saturday.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09