Arsenal Vs Spurs | Premiership 29/10/2008

Re: Arsenal Vs Spurs | Premiership 29/10/2008

Postby SE13 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Thankfully in this new job, there is only a Liverpoo fan to deal with, a Celtic fan who doubted I could hate Middlesex as much as he hates Rangers, and a C$KA Fulham fan who didn't even know there was a game last night.

At least by the time I work with the multitudes, this will just be a painful memory....

Still gutted though.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:27 pm

By the way, someone called in to Talkshite radio today and said that of the 10 goals we've conceded so far this season, 6 of them were struck from outside the box.
If it's correct that tells you everything.
If teams can score from outside the box, in FRONT of the back four then the person who's job it is to stand there and protect the back four is clearly absent.

People laid into Almunia last night but like I said, the strikers shouldn't have even got that far without being disposessed.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Inchpractice wrote:By the way, someone called in to Talkshite radio today and said that of the 10 goals we've conceded so far this season, 6 of them were struck from outside the box.
If teams can score from outside the box, in FRONT of the back four then the person who's job it is to stand there and protect the back four is clearly absent.

People laid into Almunia last night but like I said, the strikers shouldn't have even got that far without being disposessed.

Totally agree, at least one of those goals wouldn't have happened if we had that natural defensive holding midfielder. Plus, not to mention it seems that the other teams always have these wonder shots from outside the box, the one that Almunia deflected was his fault but other than that, I blame the midfield or maybe one of the CB's for not stepping up.

Why is everytime we shoot from outside the box ours are blocked? We give way to much space to other teams.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 pm

Exactly, we wrote off the Hull and the Sunderland goals like 'Oh they were just wondergoals, no-one could've stopped them.' but after the ninth time that it happens to you, you have to realise that there's a pattern here....

No-one is closing these f***ers down....!
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby ScottishLass » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 am

gzagee wrote:Having watched the game last night again the CBs didn't actually do much wrong. Pavylachenkeiwusffgghp was kept quiet. Brentley's goal was a one-off. Bent only scored once Almunia spilt the ball, maybe you could argue they should've reacted quicker but that would be harsh.
Clichy tripped over his feet and, someone in midfield shoulda put his foot through the ball before Modric advanced to shoot for their fourth.

But the whole team switched off from the 89th minute.
Upshot: we need, nay, we are desperate for a quality DM. And generally a dominant CB cos they've been at fault in other games.

Glad you finally agree with me :P . I think Wenger knows what we need but the problem is no-one fits the bill and we all know he wont go out and buy someone who isnt perfect for the job. :(
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby nischit4 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 am

Inchpractice wrote:By the way, someone called in to Talkshite radio today and said that of the 10 goals we've conceded so far this season, 6 of them were struck from outside the box.

oh come on! both were speculative shots to say the least. Hardly of the highest quality. Almunia should've been all over them. Maybe geovanni's goal was the *defensive* midfielder's fault, but Almunia should have saved both the shots yesterday. there's no doubting that.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."— George W. Bush
nischit4
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby rvtheace » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:34 am

The biggest mistake of the night was not taking the ball to the corner in the dying minutes. We kept trying brilliant through balls that screwed us royally. Blast.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:52 am

nischit4 wrote:

oh come on! both were speculative shots to say the least. Hardly of the highest quality. Almunia should've been all over them. Maybe geovanni's goal was the *defensive* midfielder's fault, but Almunia should have saved both the shots yesterday. there's no doubting that.

I don't agree.
Modric's shot hit the post so it was hardly speculative, it almost went in.
Bentley's shot was speculative but you can't really blame that on Almunia as no-one expects players to shoot from 43 yards out.
Huddlestone's shot that Almunia knocked into someone else's path was another one from outside the box that should've been closed down. Almunia should've palmed it to one side but it hit him in the face quite hard, anyway my point remains the shot should never have been taken.
And how was Jenas allowed to curl one in? No-one put a challenge in!
He curled it into the top corner which is the only part of the goal that can't be reached.
I don't agree with all this Almunia-bashing. Yes he's had better games but the Spuds had far too much space to play with in the first place.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

rvtheace wrote:The biggest mistake of the night was not taking the ball to the corner in the dying minutes. We kept trying brilliant through balls that screwed us royally. Blast.

Agreed.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Nathalispur » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:50 am

Not forgetting Spurs were under new management ALL clubs who get a new manager freakishly start winning or drawing then it settles down, probably not the best time for Arsenal to meet Spurs although I agree we did get a bit lucky with Clichy falling over etc etc
old time *** ID RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME THAN HAVE A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY
Nathalispur
Michael Thomas

Postby chrisbishop69 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:34 pm

Nathalispur wrote:Not forgetting Spurs were under new management ALL clubs who get a new manager freakishly start winning or drawing then it settles down, probably not the best time for Arsenal to meet Spurs although I agree we did get a bit lucky with Clichy falling over etc etc

are you sure you are a tottenham fan?
Chris is Cool
chrisbishop69
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Nathalispur » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 pm

chrisbishop69 wrote:
Nathalispur wrote:Not forgetting Spurs were under new management ALL clubs who get a new manager freakishly start winning or drawing then it settles down, probably not the best time for Arsenal to meet Spurs although I agree we did get a bit lucky with Clichy falling over etc etc

are you sure you are a tottenham fan?

Yeah I like living in wanton misery lol
Realistically we were never gone win that game, it was more than we expected getting 4 goals at the Emirates im happy with that.....for now! ;)
old time *** ID RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME THAN HAVE A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY
Nathalispur
Michael Thomas

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09