Man Utd Vs Arsenal | Champions League SF (L1) 29/04/09

Re: Man Utd Vs Arsenal | Champions League SF (L1) 29/04/09

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
I do fancy it going extra time.

Hopefully, tire them out before we play them on the Sunday! :D

Hopefully mate, I'd love to see them f**k this league up!
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:34 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
bergie4ever wrote:We can say for sure to all the people who has once say that Almunia is a "poor goalkeeper": well,you were all f***ing wrong my dear friends!! :frogwink:

So you're saying cos he played well yesterday that it makes these people wrong? One game doesn't make a player.

I'm not saying I think Almunia is bad, or good for that matter, just stating that one good game doesn't mean everyone is wrong.

Yeah but its not been one game has it?

Its been almost two seasons of ultimate consistency.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 am

gunngunn wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
bergie4ever wrote:We can say for sure to all the people who has once say that Almunia is a "poor goalkeeper": well,you were all f***ing wrong my dear friends!! :frogwink:

So you're saying cos he played well yesterday that it makes these people wrong? One game doesn't make a player.

I'm not saying I think Almunia is bad, or good for that matter, just stating that one good game doesn't mean everyone is wrong.

I'm not saying he hasn't but the original poster made it come across that he was amazing yesterday so everyone is wrong, because of yesterday.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
gunngunn wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

I'm not saying he hasn't but the original poster made it come across that he was amazing yesterday so everyone is wrong, because of yesterday.

Yeah i know, it annoys me to be perfectly honest.

I have come to expect nothing less than that kind of performance week in week out from Almunia, sure he deserves praise but the way people have been talking its the first decent game he has had...
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 am

Yorkyblue wrote:

One game doesn't mean that no but it goes a long way towards proving the point.
Let's take Fordy for example.
His opinion is that while Almunia is solid he is not world class and will never make the kind of Jens Lehmann saves that will win you a game.
Almunia made about 5 of those yesterday so I think we can safely say that he can win us games.
He definitely proved a lot of doubters wrong yesterday, he was immense.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby bishop05 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am

proud of manuel yesterday he made a defeat alot less harder to take than what it could of been , as for our strike force wasn't there at all last night really pitty RVP was unfit i think the emirates will be alot different.
thanks for my av and sig!
bishop05
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby BennisBergkamp » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Almunia is the Ringo Starr of goalkeeping. By no means one of the world's best at what he does, never flashy, but perfectly consistent and probably, if anything, quite underrated.
BennisBergkamp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gouldinho » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Almunia is an excellent keeper. If he was more of a media whore skytanta and the BBC would would be going on about how great he is.
IT WAS CESC FABREGAS INSPIRED
gouldinho
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Rockin' Robin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Theo14Cesc4 wrote:same cap06. i've got loads riding on this. everyone except me said united're gonna win, i've got a couple of bets, one could result in me holding a hull city scarf and singing "by far the greatest team" for hull. and my mates will absolutely rip me cause of how many times i've said we'll win.

Man, you are one brave f**ker.
I wouldn't even enter that bet even if it was the second leg and we were 2-0 up.

Anyone else worried?

:smileyforshittingmyself:

Recently, the bet was changed by my friend, the Hull fan.
At first and second break, I have to wear a Hull shirt provided by said fan, and at the end of school, I have to run around with the Hull shirt on shouting "HULL ARE THE BEST HULL ARE THE BEST"
to be fair, I thought the bet was decided by who went through at the end, but apparently not :(
I feel like I might be ill tomorrow...
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Someone on GW (I forget who it was) once said Almunia's an excellent keeper, that it was his defence that makes him look ordinary.

Sometimes I'm inclined to agree.

I'll say this, the main difference between him and Jens is the communication with the defenders. He doesn't howl and holler in the same way Jens did.
Jens commanded and demanded his defenders. Manuel doesn't do that.
But my opinion of him has changed this season more than last.
We're seeing an excellent keeper who's won us and kept us in games this term.
And he kept us in the hunt last night, cos really and truly the return leg should only have been a formality for ManUre...
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby niko197 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm

that line up was shit. the same shit like last year, ade was alone in attack, song, diaby and nasri were lost on the pitch, wenger haven't done anything to change that during the game.

i'm disapointed. not because we lost, it's because we showed nothing, we didn't even fight.
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby HorseMachine » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 pm

I know this might seem OTT and I agree it probably is, but I cant help but wonder how much of an impact Arshavin would have had in the game if he was able to play. You swap Diaby for him, and all of a sudden our 11 looks pretty good (well excluding the back of course)
HorseMachine
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm

gzagee wrote:Someone on GW (I forget who it was) once said Almunia's an excellent keeper, that it was his defence that makes him look ordinary.

Sometimes I'm inclined to agree.

I'll say this, the main difference between him and Jens is the communication with the defenders. He doesn't howl and holler in the same way Jens did.
Jens commanded and demanded his defenders. Manuel doesn't do that.
But my opinion of him has changed this season more than last.
We're seeing an excellent keeper who's won us and kept us in games this term.
And he kept us in the hunt last night, cos really and truly the return leg should only have been a formality for ManUre...

Err, what? :think:

Did you see Manuel yesterday? I thought he was going to go on a rampage and kill the team, he was shouting at them and they were listening.

He may not have had the vocal ability a couple of season back but my word i think its one of his most improved attributes, the defence have huge respect for him and he when he rants they listen.

The defence improved dramatically from the Pool game just because he was commanding he area.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby golfinguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Been too busy to run my mouth about the game until now - but let me make up for it now :smartass:

We're lucky its only 1-0 going into the next leg. Almunia kept us in it - HUGE game from him. We were dominated in the first half, but played better in the second.

Diaby frustrated me more than usual - losing possession by getting into 3 at once and thinking he can get out of it. I love his feet and confidence, but FFS Abu - PASS the f***ing ball! :shout:

The biggest problem I see, is the one I've mentioned before.... without Arshavin we do not have a left sided threat - which isolates Walcott. Nasri is not a winger by trade and Diaby certainly isn't either (as proved yesterday). And without a left sided threat.... well, we saw the double and triple teaming that Walcott received. With someone streaking up the left side as well, United would have had a hard time defending both sides. O'Shea had too much room as a result.

We were also far too slow going forward. We had many opportunities to push a counter after gaining possession, but allowed the United midfielders to recover and defend. Good defense or not, we MUST take out chances by attacking fast. We were too cautious.

Gibbs continues to impress me. With him and Clichy, we have that position tied up for years to come methinks :cloud9: . Matter of fact, if Clichy is healthy for the next leg (doubtful I know, but.... :pray: ) play Gibbs as the left winger! :P
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fabrestuta » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:15 pm

What is there to say that probably hasn't already been said. Once again we send out a team not to lose rather than trying to win. In fact, at times I thought it was the FA cup semi final all over again. Very negative line up and tactics and once again it didn't pay off. Some absolutely suicidal defending at times and it was up to Manuel to bail us out. Gracias senor
To say we are lucky to be only 1 down would be an understatement, BUT, because of that its still anyones to win.
If we go about our business like we did yesterday we are going to lose (again),
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09