Liverpool Vs Arsenal | Premiership 21/04/2009

Re: Liverpool Vs Arsenal | Premiership 21/04/2009

Postby gzagee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am

Spuds game was totally different. For a start we played them with what would be our preferred back four.
Last night we played a Scouse team with a makeshift back four, and minus our first choice strikers. And we nearly won.
Given the circumstances going away to Anfield and getting a draw against a team on fire is a good point won.

EDIT: Scouse had a full team minus Gerrard.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 am

gzagee wrote:Spuds game was totally different. For a start we played them with what would be our preferred back four.
Last night we played a Scouse team with a makeshift back four, and minus our first choice strikers. And we nearly won.
Given the circumstances going away to Anfield and getting a draw against a team on fire is a good point won.

Fair point, but Inch is right about taking it to the corner
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 am

gzagee wrote:Spuds game was totally different. For a start we played them with what would be our preferred back four.

I know mate and I'm not ignoring any of those facts. The end result of 4-4 at Anfield is far far more satisfying and acceptable than 4-4 at home to the cocks.
One is a decent result under the circumstances and the other is a mentally scarring tragedy.
I'm just pointing out that we were supposed to have learnt from our mistakes in the Spuds game. We were supposed to be able to hold on to a lead with a few seconds to go.

Our players didn't hoof the ball into row Z or pass the ball from side to side 100 times they kept trying to attack or attempting difficult passes and ultimately we lost possession.
We HAVE to work on that.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:26 am

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... r-reaction

Wenger wrote:
'It takes quality to respond the way we did'

On a night of mixed emotions...
"I believe it was a game of a frenetic pace, and of top quality. Both teams created many chances and you can see when you play on a good pitch you can play football in the Premier League. Apart from that we are half-happy because we scored four goals but we are half-unhappy because we conceded four. As well, to be 4-3 up with two minutes to go, the team is disappointed. It was another great performance tonight and Liverpool maybe thought a draw was a fair result.

"The big regret we have is that 10 minutes into the second half we a 2-1 down, but not from something created by Liverpool; from balls we didn't clear properly from the back."

On Andrey Arshavin...
"Arshavin can play everywhere, like all great players. He scored four goals but it was at the end of good combination play. He has tricks and a short back-lift and that makes him very dangerous.

"It shows he has a good left foot, but in full confidence he can be relaxed enough to take the goal anyway. I have been in this job a long time and not many players get four goals in a top game like that. I didn't expect him to do that - he has scored seven in seven games."

On the title race...
"It is still very open. It depends on what kind of form Manchester United find because they had a bit of a problem before the interruption of the Champions League so we will see how they come back against Portsmouth."

On responding to the weekend defeat...
"I never doubted the character of my players. The fact they came into the dressing room very, very disappointed says a lot about their character. It shows they wanted to win and that we go for it every time. It takes quality to respond like we did today, only three days after the [FA Cup]."

On the goalkeeper's performance...
"He was fantastic in the first half but struggled a bit more in the second because I believe we were less dominant from crosses. But overall, Fabianski had a good performance."

On Bendtner's disallowed goal...
"I have just seen it again and it doesn't look offside at all."

[Tuesday, April 21, 2009]
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby bishop05 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 am

more than happy with a point last night we could of easily lost it there at the end , andrey is showing how good he really can be and its a good job as bendtner didn't get a sniff to be honest, good result IMO.
thanks for my av and sig!
bishop05
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Who is getting injured today?

I hope by saying this that it will jinx it, but Cesc got injured last time we played them.

*crosses fingers*

I hope not, i am worried about Nasri though.

Well I just did an Indian voodoo dance in my cube here at work to ward off any bad injury spirits. We're sorted now. Play on Gunners!!!!
:smartass:

:1990_dancing.gif: :cheerleader:

Did my voodoo dance work? Did anyone get injured? :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Igmalian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Did my voodoo dance work? Did anyone get injured? :dontknow:

Not heard anything!
To Alcohol!! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!!
Igmalian
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 pm

btw anyone love the way shava celebrated his first goal infront of the Kop, i was laughing so much
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jason77 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:32 pm

This is an Awesome game
Arshavin I I Bow to You!
Jason77
Patrick Vieira

Postby liam_cork » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Why are we still incapable of taking the ball into the corner? Even our own corner would be a start. :disgust:

i cant say i was suprised when they scored in fairness the only time liverpool didn't look dangerous was when they were picking the ball out their own net
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rodney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 pm

We've seen some awful combinations at Arsenal, but can there be worse than Silvestre and Fabianski. The pair of them were again woeful. Fabianski's distribution and Silvestre's just pure and utter shiteness make me want to cry.

4-3 up going mental and yet you knew it wasn't over. Quite simply pathetic. Cesc sumed it up at the end for me it was two points thrown away.

Wenger has made some awful decisions recently and they've shown in the last two games.
rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby BennisBergkamp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 pm

rodney wrote:We've seen some awful combinations at Arsenal, but can there be worse than Silvestre and Fabianski. The pair of them were again woeful. Fabianski's distribution and Silvestre's just pure and utter shiteness make me want to cry.

4-3 up going mental and yet you knew it wasn't over. Quite simply pathetic. Cesc sumed it up at the end for me it was two points thrown away.

Wenger has made some awful decisions recently and they've shown in the last two games.

Though you'll note that a great Fabianski kick downfield led to one of our goals (I think the 2nd?). His distribution's no worse than Almunia's, and really it was the defense not clearing it properly rather than Fabs.
BennisBergkamp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 am

rodney wrote:We've seen some awful combinations at Arsenal, but can there be worse than Silvestre and Fabianski. The pair of them were again woeful. Fabianski's distribution and Silvestre's just pure and utter shiteness make me want to cry.

i think making this post was a woeful decision, Fabianski had a great first half and the deffence ias a whole were poor because some of the marking by both silvestre, toure and some of the clearing by sagna was the real issue.

hopw can fabs save a shot from like 5 ft out, no one picked him up.

truely a poor post.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockin' Robin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Bristol_Gunner wrote:

i think making this post was a woeful decision, Fabianski had a great first half and the deffence ias a whole were poor because some of the marking by both silvestre, toure and some of the clearing by sagna was the real issue.

hopw can fabs save a shot from like 5 ft out, no one picked him up.

truely a poor post.

If we hadn't marked the post Torres would have had a hat-trick, nice one.
And as well as Silvestre, for the last goal, Toure should have left it to Silvestre, and stayed in his position but he went for the same ball too, and left a space for Benayoun to pick up and score from.
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... in-re-runs

Arshavin Wenger wrote:
Wenger - I’ve been glued to Arshavin re-runs

By Chris Harris

You won’t hear Arsène Wenger complaining of too many repeats on television - not when they are showing re-runs of Andrey Arshavin’s goals at Anfield.

The Russian playmaker was the talk of the town after scoring four times in that incredible 4-4 draw at Liverpool in midweek, even though his heroics did not secure three points for Arsenal.

Arshavin’s ruthless display of finishing has been pored over in the media since Tuesday night and, for Wenger, it has been compulsive viewing.

“I watched them [the goals] sometimes even when I did not want to watch them because I have seen them so much on television,” said the Arsenal manager.

“I watched his four goals and of course one looks better than the others ones. It is special finishing because two are outstanding shots from outside the box, one is the result of a good combination inside the box and one is the result of a bad clearance from Aurelio that he took advantage of.

“Overall I believe that even if we were disappointed by the result we were not disappointed by the performance. Liverpool played very well too, it was a frenetic, entertaining game which is a credit to the Premier League.”

[Friday, April 24, 2009]
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09