Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:26 pm

jayantmoudgil wrote:I still can't imagine what wenger was thinking when he finalized the starting XI, i know he knows much more than what we all do, but to rest song & arshavin is truly insane. No two ways about it.



I hear ya jayanmoudgil.... AW should never had rested them two... I believed they would have played a Vital role in the first half as Arshavin i not eligable to play in the CL this season 4 us... he would have had more time to suss-out Cech like Walcott did to Cech & Judas Cole... eve though it was a gaol... why did'nt Judas Cole get a booking....??? :naughty: He meant to handball it... WHO SAW THAT???
Image
User avatar
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: North, South & West LONDON

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:34 pm

waisman wrote:
goonerkas wrote:
liam_cork wrote:no ones mentioned that walcott completly faded out of the game


Didnt have the service.


I thought he played well, he didn't have any link up play with eboue or fabregas because of the way the team was laid out, and Chelski kept him well covered.


So he didn't link up with the midfield and got marked out of the game according to you, so how does that make him play well? Baffeling. I thought he was extremely poor and is always wanting way too much time on the ball that he really doesn't have.

I didn't get lots of things today. No idea why we subbed Ade with Bendtner, he should have joined Ade instead of replacing him. It was 1-1 we were still in the hunt. Our midfield were non existent today. Still can't fathom why Diaby lasted the full 90. Eboue was caught out of position a fair few times as well. I think just now I'm more angry than gutted.

But I thought young Gibbs was MOTM, great performance by him.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
User avatar
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter
 
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: London

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby elkanofan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:Well thats that. Absolutely mind boggling line up and tactics, and the subs made even less sense.

If one person says "Wenger knows" so help me God I will hunt them down and kill them.


"Wenger Knows"

How not to win trophies that is :sneaky2:
User avatar
elkanofan
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 12783
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: I'm goin Latin America

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Eboue has forgotten how to defend... why did'nt Cesc not tell him to pull his weight??? As soon as Malouda passed him... that's when Cesc should have got him in line and do a defensive job... I'm sure little Gibbs would have jumpedat the chance of RB even though he's Left-footed or both?! and put Song on at LCB or LB... Drog-face would not have got that air-ball.
Image
User avatar
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: North, South & West LONDON

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Cheese » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Just got back from Wembley.
Not amused. Having to walk past 40 odd thousand singing blue **** made me feel quite ill.
Diaby was poor, Fabianski was poor and the others looked a bit tired to me.
For the first time in ages I think Wenger got the team selection wrong today.
He sees them in training so maybe he thought some of them looked too tired to start, but why the hell he started with Denilson and Diaby in midfield I'll never know.
Arshavin didn't even play on Wednesday so he wasn't tired.
Should've started imo.
Cesc was playing far too deep and what the hell was going on with the subs?
RVP and Ade off? :dizzy: Some very odd decisions today.
:rofll:
I said before that I was worried about Fabianski and I think today I had every reason to be.
Like I said before he's a good 'keeper but I think he should still be number 3 in line and we should've bought a new number 2 in the summer.
His mad habit of rushing out of goal is just too impulsive and dangerous.
He makes me nervous all the time.

Three things i enjoyed today...
1) Sitting in out great seats (thanks for that ;) )
2) Walcott scoring with his left foot.
3) And the Gooner in the yellow shirt after the game. You know who i mean...
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15075
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby goonerkas » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Arshavin struglled to get the ball even in the closing stages when the game was most open. He wouldnt of made much of a difference if he started.
goonerkas
Patrick Vieira
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 pm

goonerkas wrote:Arshavin struglled to get the ball even in the closing stages when the game was most open. He wouldnt of made much of a difference if he started.


Totally disagree. By the time he come on we were over run and we couldn't even bring him into the game because our midfield died.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
User avatar
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter
 
Posts: 9590
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: London

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Cheese wrote:Three things i enjoyed today...
1) Sitting in our great seats (thanks for that ;) )
2) Walcott scoring with his left foot.
3) And the Gooner in the yellow shirt after the game. You know who i mean...

He was legendary.

I'd like to keep him in my shed and take him to every away game on a leash.
:grin:
groom suits for gooners with taste
User avatar
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24155
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
goonerkas wrote:Arshavin struglled to get the ball even in the closing stages when the game was most open. He wouldnt of made much of a difference if he started.


Totally disagree. By the time he come on we were over run and we couldn't even bring him into the game because our midfield died.

You're right mate.
Nothing he could've done by then.
Too little too late.
groom suits for gooners with taste
User avatar
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24155
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Bucks

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby BennisBergkamp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
goonerkas wrote:Arshavin struglled to get the ball even in the closing stages when the game was most open. He wouldnt of made much of a difference if he started.


Totally disagree. By the time he come on we were over run and we couldn't even bring him into the game because our midfield died.

You're right mate.
Nothing he could've done by then.
Too little too late.


Indeed. What's even more galling is, if he was planning to use him as a sub, why not bring him on in the 65th minute to give him time to get into the game? Instead of the 75th/80th (I've forgotten exactly) when we were being overrun.
Image
User avatar
BennisBergkamp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Bow, London

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby natalie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:10 pm

I was there
I blame most of our team but most of all LF he run out like headless chicken
Should of stated with AA
Im still very gutted
natalie
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby waisman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
waisman wrote:
goonerkas wrote:
liam_cork wrote:no ones mentioned that walcott completly faded out of the game


Didnt have the service.


I thought he played well, he didn't have any link up play with eboue or fabregas because of the way the team was laid out, and Chelski kept him well covered.


So he didn't link up with the midfield and got marked out of the game according to you, so how does that make him play well? Baffeling. I thought he was extremely poor and is always wanting way too much time on the ball that he really doesn't have.

I didn't get lots of things today. No idea why we subbed Ade with Bendtner, he should have joined Ade instead of replacing him. It was 1-1 we were still in the hunt. Our midfield were non existent today. Still can't fathom why Diaby lasted the full 90. Eboue was caught out of position a fair few times as well. I think just now I'm more angry than gutted.

But I thought young Gibbs was MOTM, great performance by him.


Theo did play well. The problem was we seemed to be sitting back defensively a lot more which meant he seemed to have less options than he usually finds to go forward, whenever he got past cashley there were Chelski players back to cover, when he needed the link up play Eboue was holding back in defense. He still managed to skin players, get in crosses into dangerous areas nearly providing a second goal, not to mention scoring our only goal... All in all, when our entire team looked flat he was the only player who looked like he might provide a goal chance from somewhere.

I agree about Gibbs, both tonight and against VCF he has been fantastic. He's completely fearless and wasn't daunted by the game at all
Image
waisman
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 am

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:26 am

I had to take off to play a gig right after the game, so I have had time to reflect (and get hideously drunk)

It's admirable that people are defending Fabianski, but being realistic, he's shown himself up to be a million miles away from ready on a few occasions now. His poor decision making cost us today. I'm not going to nail him to a tree, but he was at fault.

The reason I'm not going to go off at him is that I need all my spare anger to direct at Monsieur Wenger.

Sorry, but you f***ing moron Arsene, that was the worst and most clueless team selection I have ever witnessed. We had fit and fresh match winners SITTING ON THE BENCH :BangHead: Instead he decides to start with the cringeworthy Denilson, and Diaby, who seems to have 3 stinkers for every stonker he plays.

Wenger should explain his decision, because it just beggars belief. Look at this thread before the match started for examples of Arsenal fans' disbelief at such ludicrous decision making.

The only other thing I have to say on this match was that the passing was some of the worst I have seen in football at any level, let alone Premiership standard.

And people wondered why I posted a "Worried yet?" thread. This team has a loooooooooooooooooong way to go, and lunatic team selections like we saw today do not help
User avatar
Good_Eye_Sniper
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5036
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby usmanc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:46 am

Good_Eye_Sniper wrote:I had to take off to play a gig right after the game, so I have had time to reflect (and get hideously drunk)

It's admirable that people are defending Fabianski, but being realistic, he's shown himself up to be a million miles away from ready on a few occasions now. His poor decision making cost us today. I'm not going to nail him to a tree, but he was at fault.

The reason I'm not going to go off at him is that I need all my spare anger to direct at Monsieur Wenger.

Sorry, but you f***ing moron Arsene, that was the worst and most clueless team selection I have ever witnessed. We had fit and fresh match winners SITTING ON THE BENCH :BangHead: Instead he decides to start with the cringeworthy Denilson, and Diaby, who seems to have 3 stinkers for every stonker he plays.

Wenger should explain his decision, because it just beggars belief. Look at this thread before the match started for examples of Arsenal fans' disbelief at such ludicrous decision making.

The only other thing I have to say on this match was that the passing was some of the worst I have seen in football at any level, let alone Premiership standard.

And people wondered why I posted a "Worried yet?" thread. This team has a loooooooooooooooooong way to go, and lunatic team selections like we saw today do not help



For you and fans like you: You can always go buy the blue shirt and you will have little less to bitch about mate!!

GOONER TILL I DIE! :icon_barscarf:
usmanc
Patrick Vieira
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 am

Can't sleep which is why I'm awake at this silly hour.
This has clearly pissed me off more than I thought it would.

Strong words from the boss after the match, especially on the state of the pitch.
At least he managed to call Drogba a diver though: :grin:

Wenger wrote:
'We didn't have our usual fluency today'


On the goals that were conceded...
"The disappointment of the day is that we gave two cheap goals away, and in a game of that level it has a bad outcome, especially with seven minutes to go. It was a big blow. The two teams looked jaded physically, maybe us a bit more than them.

"We missed a few opportunities on crosses in the second half, and were unlucky in the last minute. They had one or two chances, but it looked like it would go to extra time, until we gave a goal away that you should not at this level."

On the pitch...
"I believe for Chelsea it was tough as well. It is not a pitch you should have in a stadium that cost this amount of money. It is laughable. The quality of the pitch is a disaster."

On rotating his squad...
"Alex Song has played many games and I believe when you do that you need rest. I am not sure he would have stopped the ball in the air on the second goal, but it is difficult. We know they are dangerous on set-pieces and we are a bit short. Plus they have some tall boys who make it physical in midfield and we needed a player like Diaby to be capable of fighting against them.

"As well I wanted to rotate it a bit because Nasri was sick last week and he looked a bit tired. We played with three strikers – Theo, Robin and Adebayor – and I couldn’t play with four when they had three in midfield.

"I believe we are team with eight games in 24 days and you cannot imagine to play every game with exactly the same players."

On making late substitutions...
"You must consider you could go to extra time and we had one or two players who were short – Silvestre and Gibbs at half-time – so if you make the change earlier you could have played with 10 men."

On Didier Drogba...
"He is a winner, and he scores in big games. I feel we made it a little easier for him, but he never stops, he is always focussed. Look at the amount of goals he scores in big games, you can only say he is a great player. He dives sometimes a little bit too much but he is a winner."

On Fabianski's performance...
"It will damage his confidence because he will feel a little bit guilty, but you cannot blame any individual. You want the whole team to focus and respond quickly against Liverpool; we have them, Middlesbrough and the Champions League Semi-Final. We have to respond very quickly.

"I believe that he is still a great goalkeeper, although perhaps it was not his best of games today."

On the midfield battle...
"I feel in midfield it was more physical today and we didn't have our usual fluency. They made it physical and the pitch slowed it down. Cesc tried very hard but overall it was a scrappy game."

On Van Persie's substitution...
"Yes it was a groin problem. I don’t know if he will be out for Tuesday because I haven’t spoken to the medical team."


On Walcott's performance...
"Theo was always a threat today and he always gave you hope he could give you something special. He is developing very well as a player. Now he gets in front of full-backs and gets goals, which is a very good sign as he is still very young."

On moving forward...
"We have a bigger target now in front of us, which is the Champions League, and of course the Championship - we want to come back as close as possible, and stay fourth. We have big targets."


[Saturday, April 18, 2009]


I said to Cheesy when I saw the line-up that he probably wanted Diaby in the side to provide height against a tall and physical Chel$ki side. You can see the logic there but when he's playing that badly it has to be time for plan B.
groom suits for gooners with taste
User avatar
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24155
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Bucks

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 08/09

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest