Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:20 pm

i dont know what to say

im just sad.
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Re: Chelsea Vs Arsenal | FA Cup Semi Final 18/04/09

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:37 pm

simply cant understand the theory in leaving song out.

i think wenger was more worried about them, than looking at our strengths, imo that is 199% wrong way of thinking

play our way, with our formation, and lets have a go, its not as if our 4-4-2 was shipping goals left right and centre was it

huh, pretty much raging, but lets hope this gets the team angry, so they will show heart, fight, and determination against the mancs in the champs league
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby bergie4ever » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Wish it was the ONLY thing we can't understand... :dontknow: :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :disgust:
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby BennisBergkamp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:51 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:simply cant understand the theory in leaving song out.

i think wenger was more worried about them, than looking at our strengths, imo that is 199% wrong way of thinking

play our way, with our formation, and lets have a go, its not as if our 4-4-2 was shipping goals left right and centre was it

huh, pretty much raging, but lets hope this gets the team angry, so they will show heart, fight, and determination against the mancs in the champs league

What's awful, mate, is that if we'd lost a storming match 3-2 or 4-3 with our attacking players on the pitch, I'm not sure I'd have faulted Arsene by saying "he should have been more conservative". I would have said that at least we'd had a go, and played the Arsenal way. Instead Arsene bottled it big time. Still angry.
BennisBergkamp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I think the Chelsea match was another example of Wenger betting the farm. He did in 2004 when he left out Henry from the FA Cup semi-final in anticipation of the Champions League game, only for Arsenal to end up getting knocked out of both competitions. Then in 2007, he didn't play his strongest team in the Carling Cup final, presumably with a view to progressing in the ECL and the FA Cup, only for Arsenal to go tumbling out of all competitions in the space of two weeks. We all remember last season when we should have beaten a disinterested Liverpool in the league but Wenger weakened the team in preparation for the European game at Anfield, lost two crucial points in the title race and then we ended up being knocked out by Liverpool.

I don't understand why Arshavin didn't start. It's not as if he'd played in Europe in midweek. Fabianski, Eboue, Diaby and Denilson were all dreadful. Chelsea weren't up to much and if we'd played as close to a full strength side as possible, we could have beaten them. Gibbs was a bright spark. He looks a confident young lad. Wenger, of course, might be able to justify his selection if Arsenal go on and knock out Man Utd and then win the ECL in Rome but given the examples I have cited above, I wouldn't be too confident about that. I really hope I'm wrong.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Via E-Mail, Arsene Wenger wrote:Dear Supporter,

The disappointment of the FA Cup Semi-Final is that we gave two cheap goals away, and in a game at that level it has a bad outcome, especially with six minutes to go. It was a big blow.

We missed a few opportunities on crosses in the second half, and were unlucky in the last minute when Arshavin had a shot. Chelsea had one or two chances, but it looked like it would go to extra time until we gave a goal away that you should not give away at this level.

The pitch was a problem but I believe for Chelsea it was tough as well. It is not a pitch you should have in a stadium that cost this amount of money. It is laughable. The quality of the pitch is a disaster.

I had to rotate my squad for Saturday's game. Alex Song has played many games and I believe when you do that you need rest. Plus Chelsea have some tall boys who make it physical in midfield and we needed a player like Diaby to be capable of fighting against them. Also Nasri was sick last week and he looked a bit tired. We played with three strikers - Theo, Robin and Adebayor - and I couldn’t play with four when Chelsea had three in midfield. We are a team with eight games in 24 days and you cannot imagine playing every game with exactly the same players.

Drogba made the difference for Chelsea. He is a winner, and he scores in big games. I feel we made it a little easier for him, but he never stops, he is always focused. Look at the amount of goals he scores in big games, you can only say he is a great player. He dives sometimes a little bit too much but he is a winner.

The Chelsea winner will damage Fabianski's confidence because he will feel a little bit guilty, but you cannot blame any individual. You want the whole team to focus and respond quickly against Liverpool; we have them, Middlesbrough and the Champions League Semi-Final so we have to respond very quickly.

One of the positives from Saturday was Walcott's performance. Theo was always a threat and he always gave you hope he could give you something special. He is developing very well as a player. Now he gets in front of full-backs and gets goals, which is a very good sign as he is still very young.

Thanks for your support.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby arsenal till i die » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Firstly I believe our defence was by far the worst defending I had ever experienced in my entire life, firstly what was Eboue doing, he completely let a shit w***er like Malouda run past him, it was as if Eboue was running away from Malouda. Now I want to clarify that without Almunia we're comletely dead, Firstly for Malouda's goal Fabianski barely even dived for the ball, for Drogba's goal, I can barely imagine any goalkeeper trying to come forward & sweep the ball from one of the strongest Forwards in the World. There was no chance of Fabianski getting the ball from Dog breath (Drogba) !!!!!!!!!! Part from the negative side, our positives were that Arsenal were doing good counter-attacks, we were getting the ball on the wing with Walcott & he tried to run inside the box like Messi, although i must admit no-one can do it like Messi. We even tried to get Van Persie on the left more & make him attack on the wing, he had more options because he could either run on the wing or get the ball & run inside the box. I think Adebayor wa barely to be mentioned in the game. I must admit that Wenger was just criticising the pitch as an excuse, I have experienced many managers picking on the poor grass just because they didn't happen to play weel in a match. Although David Moyes & Sir Alex Ferguson agreed with AW. :P

Definition_Of_A_True_Gunner:D
Siggy & ava By Me!
arsenal till i die
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2008-09