English Cricket

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: English Cricket

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:23 pm

ozgooner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
damo1583 wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Cricket is weird!!! :dizzy:

Cricket is refined game and beats the hell out of the rounders and netball you yanks play lol

Do you mean baseball and basketball? Basketball I agree with, but baseball is ace. :biggrin:

I can understand why non-yanks wouldn't like it though, it bores me too sometimes, you have to know the game and the history to enjoy it.

thats it in a nutshell mate , the same statement applies to cricket ;)

I figured. I'm sure if I sat down and watched it a few times I would get the hang of it, when I have previously I always try to relate it to baseball, but it doesn't work. I had some friends that lived in Australia for two years, and they came back with a cricket set and tried to play it with me. :dizzy: I don't know what you guys call the person with the bat and what they do, but I could do that part real well. Thats similiar to baseball and I'm ace at that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 pm

ChVint22 wrote: I don't know what you guys call the person with the bat and what they do, but I could do that part real well. Thats similiar to baseball and I'm ace at that.

They're called 'the batter' funnily enough! :)
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
ChVint22 wrote: I don't know what you guys call the person with the bat and what they do, but I could do that part real well. Thats similiar to baseball and I'm ace at that.

Or the batsman, to give him his proper name.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 pm

gzagee wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Same as baseball then. Easy!!! :biggrin:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 pm

gzagee wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Batsperson then please! Lets not be sexist about this! ;)
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
gzagee wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Batsperson then please! Lets not be sexist about this! ;)

:lol:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 pm

ChVint22 wrote:I figured. I'm sure if I sat down and watched it a few times I would get the hang of it, when I have previously I always try to relate it to baseball, but it doesn't work. I had some friends that lived in Australia for two years, and they came back with a cricket set and tried to play it with me. :dizzy: I don't know what you guys call the person with the bat and what they do, but I could do that part real well. Thats similiar to baseball and I'm ace at that.

An easy way to describe it would be that a bowler at one end has six deliveries of the ball, the batsman has to keep himself "in" while scoring runs periodically. The bowler is attempting to get the batsman out in those deliveries, and if he does, he continues the over against the new batsman, of which there are eleven per side.

Once his over has finished, a different bowler takes over from the other end firing down to the other batsman.

In test cricket, this continues until all players are out from both sides over the course of two innings.

Now that's very simplified, and we can fill in the gaps for you without a problem.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Graham Gooch was given out "Handled the ball" in an "Ashes" test of 1993. I think it was Old Trafford. I don't remember it happening to anyone else in a test match.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Chvs, if you were ever to be invited to a cricket match then you'd probably prefer the 20/20 form of the game. 20 overs (that's 6 balls an over) each team, lots of high scoring, loads of slinging - sorry fast bowling and slugging to kingdom come! Oh and there's cheerleaders and all sorts. Much more exciting and shorter than Test cricket.
Test cricket, which can last up to 5 days and still end up in a draw would probably bore you.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby damo1583 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Mate last season i was given out lbw off my helmet............. i slipped ducking a short ball that never got up.......lol
Last edited by damo1583 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks Chris. :Peace:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 pm

gzagee wrote:Chvs, if you were ever to be invited to a cricket match then you'd probably prefer the 20/20 form of the game. 20 overs (that's 6 balls an over) each team, lots of high scoring, loads of slinging - sorry fast bowling and slugging to kingdom come! Oh and there's cheerleaders and all sorts. Much more exciting and shorter than Test cricket.
Test cricket, which can last up to 5 days and still end up in a draw would probably bore you.

Yeah, 20/20 is probably the best introduction, it just has everything, and the crowds are immense, it's like being at football. (Well, I say that, going on evidence of the tv!)

Once you understand what is actually happening, you can then stretch it out to the five day test scenario which is just a far more tactical version of 20/20 and enlongated. But there is more beer involved in a five day test than there is an a four hour 20/20!

I'm trying to think of what questions for the non-cricket fan would be so to answer in advance, I suppose the various terms for fielders would be one, but I think that's best left until the basics are understood. LBW sounds obvious, but has a few variants....

One thing Chris might want to know is about pace bowling. The ball will hit the pitch before reaching the batsman, and will still come at you at up to or in excess of 100mph. The spinners (slow bowlers) still fire down to you at over 50mph!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby ozgooner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:30 pm

f**k me , it's just come on the morning telly here that warnie has been approached to coach england :naughty:

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 pm

ozgooner wrote:f**k me , it's just come on the morning telly here that warnie has been approached to coach england :naughty:

He loves England! It's high time he put back into it all that he ripped through it! I dread to think how many English wickets have fallen at the hands of Warne over the years, so maybe he wants to repay the outstanding balance.... ;)

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby slappy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Not many spinners have a good record v India

As for coaching England, I'm sure he could teach them how to play poker, send raunchy texts to blondes and how to place a bet or two
slappy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket