ICC World Cup 2011

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: ICC World Cup 2011

Postby Massa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Well I'm not one to judge how much people love Arsenal but when they'd rather watch something such as Cricket it really does astound me, and it's not like I detest cricket anyway.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Van The Man Persie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Its the world cup final.

Ive been brought up to watch both sports and ive always watched football over cricket. Well Arsenal over cricket. Dont give a f**k about any other teams but seeing as we are so average these days and i feel deflated with them, the final it has to be.
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Massa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Van The Man Persie wrote:Its the CRICKET world cup final.

:arsenal3:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Van The Man Persie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm

99.9% of the time id agree.

Not on saturday.

I see Arsenal all year every year.

Only the 2nd time im seeing India in a WC Final and the first time im seeing them having a realistic chance of winning.

They were never going to win in 2003. In my time as a cricket fan, ive seen our 2 neighbours lift the trophy in 1992 and 1996. Now its our turn
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Angelo Matthews has been ruled out of the final.

SL have called up a replacement :lol:

So this guy they have called up has done f all and will get a winners medal if SL win.

The ICC dont really understand the naming a squad for a tournament thing do they?

Anyway just 16 odd hours away from the biggest game in cricket, bigger than any test that for sure and only rivalled by the T20 finals
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Van The Man Persie wrote:Anyway just 16 odd hours away from the biggest game in cricket, bigger than any test that for sure and only rivalled by the T20 finals

Do you really think so VTMP?

I don't really follow the cricket but i know a few of the big cricket fans at work view the 20/20 game as a nice evening out but not really cricket.

I always though cricket fans ranked its various forms as 1) test - 2) one-day - 3) 20/20 ?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

To the purists that would be the case.

Me personally puts entertainment first and Tests bar a handful just arent that entertaining.

Pretty much all T20s and most ODIs are
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Nah. Its a dying breed.

The popularity of the limited over games combined with the dullness blocks and leaves of Test cricket has pretty much killed it.

They should freshen Tests up. 50 overs per innings. Would see more excitement in one test than we have done in over 20 years
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Ive heard people say that but dont really get it.

In limited over games, you have massive pressure to not only score runs but to score quickly. In Tests, you can take as long as you want.

Look at Misbah for example in the Semi. Scored 50 odd which if you look at on its own is a decent attempt. Fact he was so slow scoring that 50 meant he killed the game for Pakistan. Trott did the same v SL.

Far tougher to bat in limited over games.

Same with bowling. Just an inch wide and it will be called wide plus no balls being punished with free balls. In Tests, you can bowl however you want with no pressure at all.
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Im sure as a player, you'd rather succeed in Tests than in ODIs.

Im not a player though. I prefer entertainment in sport. Entertainment wise theres no debate.

When India won the 2007 T20 World Cup, it was brilliant. Never felt that way about winning a Test series.

In fact out of all the series ive seen in nearly 21 years, i think only 2 can be regarded as entertaining
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Call me old fashioned as well.... Test cricket is all about the thorough examination of each player, it's all about tactics, plans, traps and how to beat it all. Five days of mind over mind and being one step ahead.

ODI is slinging the ball down as fast as possible/with as much spin as possible against who can slog the ball harder. 20/20 is a faster version of that, and for all it's excitement, it's nothing like a decent test match - Only look to the last Ashes series as testament to that.

Jay22 wrote:There is nothing more entertaining that watching a batsman trying to play the new ball on a seaming pitch at Headingly, or a bouncy one at Perth. That will always be the real cricket for me.

Or a dodgy one in Jamaica!

To be true kings, you have to be able to crack India/Pakistan in those conditions, South Africa, Australia et al while dominating a game at Lords/Trent Bridge with their variety on home soil. What works at Old Trafford won't work at the SCG nor The Wanderers, a different challenge altogether at Bridgetown, then on to Eden Park. True kings of the sport are measured by those that can win matches in all of those conditions, and the list (although growing) isn't really that big - Very few teams have dominated, very few players have either.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Van The Man Persie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Werent the stadiums practically empty during the last Ashes series?

That was 2 poor sides going at it and fortunately Aussies were worse.

Anderson was found out at the world cup.

Having to bowl disciplined at a consistent line and length in the ODIs was too much for him. Hes suited to the bowl whereever you want environment of the Test world.

Dont get me wrong, i like Tests to a certain extent and it has its place in cricket but ask a kid who knows nothing of the sport but is thinking of getting in to it, what he'd prefer and limited overs game will win out most times cos lets be honest here, which one of us whilst playing cricket with mates, with the school whereever havent tried to slog it as often as possible? Thats how i played it and thats how i want to see it being played. Taking 100 balls to make 20 odds runs in Tests is not my cup of tea
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 am

SL won the toss and batted

86-2 off 21 overs

Both openers gone. Dont bother asking me to spell their names. Well Dilshan is simple enough.
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Van The Man Persie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:15 am

122-3

Massive wicket of Sangakarra who was going well
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:18 am

Van The Man Persie wrote:Werent the stadiums practically empty during the last Ashes series?

no.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Cricket