England Vs Pakistan

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: England Vs Pakistan

Postby Forest » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 am

Saw SS showing clips of when they played Australia i think and half their players made Flappers look like Buffon! talk about butter fingers.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:13 pm

There is talk of banning the players involved on a permanent basis. I imagine the people arrested will have to testify in Court, and action would be taken from there.

Difficult and dodgy situation.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby IMF » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Ban the entire team forever...
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm

What's funny about this situation is that although the Pakistan team were trying to lose matches, England struggled to actually beat them... :dizzy:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Forest » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 pm

gzagee wrote:What's funny about this situation is that although the Pakistan team were trying to lose matches, England struggled to actually beat them... :dizzy:

i thought it was more to it than just losing? thought it was to do with foul balls or something as NOTW were told exactly who and which ball would be a no ball or what ever its called (dont know rules or language about cricket)
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm

gunner2018 wrote:
gzagee wrote:What's funny about this situation is that although the Pakistan team were trying to lose matches, England struggled to actually beat them... :dizzy:

i thought it was more to it than just losing? thought it was to do with foul balls or something as NOTW were told exactly who and which ball would be a no ball or what ever its called (dont know rules or language about cricket)

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the other matches were tampered with. I mean, how many p*ss-easy dropped catches did they commit? In one match I'm sure there were at least 5 easy catches they could've trousered. :think:
And this after they gave the Aussies a real game in the previous test match.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby rogerthornhill » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm surprised that there is a betting market on which deliveries will be no-balls. I would have thought that making a substantial bet on, say, the third ball of the eight over would in itself be suspicious. How could you make such a bet without being confident that you have successfully bribed the captain of the fielding team or the bowler, realistically you would need to bribe both. If I was a bookmaker and someone came into my shop and put 5000 pounds on such a proposition I know that I would be extremely suspicious.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah good point rog.

"I'd like £20k at 230-1 on Amir bowling a no-ball in the 13th over please."

"£20k! Er......ok."
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm

According to SSN there is rumours that some of the players in question had their families threatened unless they went along with it.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:59 pm

gunner2018 wrote:

Bleedin' 'ell, you live close to a test venue and you don't know cricket!?!

Nothing to it really: England > Australia

That's all you need to know.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby whee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:14 am

Fabrestuta wrote:According to SSN there is rumours that some of the players in question had their families threatened unless they went along with it.

Which is why I said it's best to wait and see what the investigation uncovers, before slating these kids.

Think about it, there's some horrible mother f***ers out there, and using threats of violence, could have easily got these 18 year old lads to chuck a few wide for them.

The footballing equivalent would be like betting on the timing of throw-ins. Remember the whole Le Tissier thing? Put a bet on there being a throw-in during the first minute, then attempted to stick the thing straight into touch from kick off. Le Tiss left his punt short though, and spent 30 seconds charging round like a c*** trying to get it out of play.

It's not going to affect the result of the match, but it's still wrong.

Although I don't doubt for one minute the Pakistani cricketers involved have altered the outcome of matches, that shouldn't detract from the likely threats that were made to them.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 am

gunner2018 wrote:Saw SS showing clips of when they played Australia i think and half their players made Flappers look like Buffon! talk about butter fingers.

I watched that nailbiter of a match, and I seriously couldn't believe we won. I was all smiles...... until yesterday the news broke. :angry:
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Van The Man Persie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 am

Decider in the 5th ODI in less than 12 hours time

Thankfully this pathetic series is over.

Has been overshadowed with the fixing allegations
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Previous

Return to Cricket