Umpire Shepherd RIP

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Umpire Shepherd RIP

Postby SE13 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Former umpire David Shepherd has died after a battle with cancer, aged 68.

Shepherd, who was born in Devon, officiated in 92 Tests and 172 one-day internationals, including three World Cup finals before retiring in 2005.

He was famous for his aversion to the 'Nelson' - scores with a multiple of 111 - which made him hop at the crease between deliveries.

Only West Indies' Steve Bucknor (128) and South Africa's Rudi Koertzen (101) have stood in more Tests.

Shepherd played for Gloucestershire, from 1965-79, hitting 10,672 runs.

He was appointed as a first-class umpire in 1981 and was swiftly elevated through the ranks, making his Test debut in an Ashes Test four years later.

After his final international match, a one-day game between England and Australia at the Oval, he received a standing ovation from the fans and players.

Dickie Bird, who umpired many matches alongside Shepherd, said his former colleague would be missed.

"I feel very saddened this has happened," he told Sky Sports.

"He was a fine umpire, we spent many happy hours together. He was a great man and a tremendous man to umpire with. He was a good bloke, he'll be sadly missed and he was a great friend."

Gloucestershire chairman John Light paid tribute to Shepherd.

"As an umpire he has always been a familiar and much-loved face, not only here but at cricket grounds around the world," he said.

"He was friendly, outgoing and straightforward. He believed cricket was a simple game and he took a straightforward approach to it in his cricket and his umpiring. He always put a smile on your face."

Shep may have left us but his legacy of excellent people-management and top-class umpiring will remain with us forever

ICC international umpires statement

ICC President David Morgan described Shepherd as a true gentleman of the game.

"He was a fine player and a match official of the very highest quality," he said. "He will be remembered fondly by players, spectators and administrators who saw him as a great entertainer but also as one of the best umpires the game has ever seen.

"The example he set as someone who took the art of umpiring very seriously while also enjoying what he did immensely will leave a lasting legacy for the game.

"He was an engaging character which meant players and other umpires were always delighted to be around him. We have lost someone whose positive influence on our great sport has been immense."

The current international umpires also issued a collective tribute to their former colleague.

"Shep was one of the truly great cricket umpires that we have seen but more importantly he was one of the true gentlemen of the game of cricket. The international umpires will fondly remember his smiling face, his warm personality and his ever helpful demeanour," said the statement.

"Shep helped so many umpires in so many ways and contributed to numerous umpiring careers - many are indebted to him.

"Every time we see Nelson on the scoreboard, we will be thinking of Shep's little jig and saying a quiet 'thank you' for having him as one of us.

"As Shep would always say to every umpire he worked with on the way out to the middle, we now say to him: 'Good luck mate, and may your God go with you.'

"Shep may have left us but his legacy of excellent people-management and top-class umpiring will remain with us forever."

© BBC Cricket

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Umpire Shepherd RIP

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm

it is sad news, he was very popular and seemed like a really good person.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Indeed, all round nice fella, always neutral.

RIP Shep.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gouldinho » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:20 pm

I didnt know he had cancer. Very sad indeed. I really liked him.
IT WAS CESC FABREGAS INSPIRED
gouldinho
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooneritis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 am

great umpire, great character (unlike the pathetic bowden).
RIP
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Cricket