Trescothick flies home

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Trescothick flies home

Postby rogerthornhill » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 pm

This is from the BBC -

Trescothick flies home

Somerset's Marcus Trescothick has had to fly home from the Champions League Twenty20 in India after a recurrence of his stress-related illness.

The former England opener, 33, will play no further part in the event where Somerset have reached the second phase.

"Marcus has made a great effort to travel to India," said Somerset director of cricket Brian Rose.

"Regrettably it has not worked out for him and he has travelled back to England to rejoin his family."

Rose added in a statement on the club website: "The club and all his team mates have fully appreciated this effort and personal commitment and look forward to further success on his behalf."

Trescothick, who will captain Somerset next season, scored 17 runs in his two innings in the tournament as they beat Deccan Chargers and lost to Trinidad & Tobago but qualified for the next phase.

Struggles with depression forced him to return home early from two England tours - the first to India in February 2006, and then to Australia in November that year - after making what proved to be his final England appearance in September.

After he then collapsed at Heathrow Airport in March 2008 while waiting to fly out with Somerset for a pre-season tour to the United Arab Emirates, he formally announced his retirement from international cricket.

Later that year, while being interviewed on the BBC's Test Match Special as his autobiography Coming Back To Me was launched, Keynsham-born Trescothick revealed that he had suffered anxiety attacks since the age of 10.

Although England have struggled to find an aggressive opening batsman for limited-overs cricket since his retirement, Trescothick has twice rejected appeals by successive England captains Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Strauss to come out of his self-imposed international exile.

"I know in my heart that the dangers to my health of committing myself to all that goes with international cricket off the field are just too great," he said after turning down the chance to play in this year's ICC World Twenty20 tournament.

He enjoyed a marvellous 2009 county season with Somerset, scoring nearly 3,000 runs in all competitions and being named as the Professional Cricketers' Association's player of the year and most valuable player of the year.

With Somerset having qualified for the Champions League in India as losing finalists in the domestic Twenty20 Cup, he admitted that his decision to tour abroad for the first time in three years was a risk.

"I know the risk and I know what happens when it goes wrong," he told BBC World Service.

"I can only try. It's a big competition for the players and for the club. I have got to try and make it happen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 309627.stm
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Trescothick flies home

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:50 pm

This is a shame, i feel sorry for him.

Talking in terms of Somersets team ability i don't think this is that terrible as Trescothick didn't bat that well in his 2 matches.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Call me harsh but... surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby rogerthornhill » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:12 pm

It's sad for him, he just has to forget about going abroad and concentrate on playing over here.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 pm

The bloke clearly isnt well and cant handle the pressure of international cricket. To be fair to him it cant be easy for someone with such bad nerves to be in the public eye at all.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby damo1583 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:37 am

It's not a nerves thing with Tressy.........I read his book and he suffers prom a paternal problem. It started when he had to tour India just after one of his kids were born and he was haunted with the thought that they would be crying for him and he spiraled into panic attacks........It got so bad that he couldnt get on the somerset bus for domestic games......I play cricket with a few guys who know him and they say it is bad but he has battled it for games over here, it just seems he cant get over going abroad.......Next season they are willing to pay him huge money to play in the IPL and even fly his family over for it.........
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Cricket