All Time England XI | Bat 3 4 & 5 Poll

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Choose three

Wally Hammond
13%
Len Hutton
13%
Ken Barrington
27%
David Gower
20%
Kevin Pietersen
20%
Allan Lamb
7%

Total votes : 15

All Time England XI | Bat 3 4 & 5 Poll

Postby SE13 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Tick the boxes, it'll run for about a week.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: All Time England XI | Bat 3 4 & 5 Poll

Postby gooneritis » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:46 pm

no thorpe :( he was better than lamb.

it's tough though.
pietersen id have as he has that flamboyant, arrogant, "ill take them all on" attitude that the other, more traditional modest english batters dont have, which i think can add an extra bit of dynamism to the side (a bit like to selecting bowlers who offer something different).

id like to have gower, his record is nowhere near as impressive as hutton, hammond or barrington, all of whom averaged over 56.
they did however not face the might of the windies at their devastating best, not to mention lillee/tommo, sir hadlee and wasim/younis.
the period gower batted as the greatest ever for bowling attacks imo, so his record is bound to be slightly poorer than those who plundered runs in the 40's.

so ill take gower.

then i have to take one of those 3 legends and their amazing averages.
im going for barrington. a superb average of 58, and he finished playing in 1968 so still faced alot of world class and professional bowlers, he must have been good!!! had a first class bowling average of 32 taking 273 wickets, so he could bowl a bit too ;)
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Cricket