Magic moments in Cricket

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: Magic moments in Cricket

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 pm

I suppose the one that really sticks in the mind is the Ashes test at Headingley in 1981. Australia batted first, and tore our attack apart clocking up over 400. The Aussies then ripped through our batting, skittling us out for (I think) 174 despite Ian Botham scoring 50. We were forced to follow on, and Beefy was again the star of the show but eventually ran out of partners and ended up 149 n/o. Australia only needed something like 121 runs to win, and got to 56 or so with only one wicket down. Then up came Bob Willis, absolutely tearing in. He ripped through the Aussies pulling 8 wickets out of the bag. I can't think who he bowled, but seeing that middle wicket cartwheeling down the ground was memorable. We won by 18 runs in the end, I think we were one of (if not the) first team to win a test after following on.

In fact that whole 81 series, coming from 1-0 down, behind in every game yet somehow managing to pull something out of the bag. Bothams Ashes as the series was known.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:11 pm

The Edgbaston test (1981 again), Australia needed 150 to win in the final innings and struggled to 85 or so for 5, enter Ian Botham with one of the most devastating spells of bowling I can remember from an Englishman, 5 wickets in under 6 overs.

I found this gem on You Tube.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Fifth test was at Old Trafford, dominated by England. Tavere batted for about twelve days before troubling the scorers, Beefy adding another century to his collection for the series. Australia were given a target of well over 500, it was either Kim Hughes or Allan Border carried his bat through, but despite their best attempts, we finally finished them off for 402 (or was it 411) and retained The Ashes.

The whole series sort of reminds me of the 05 series here, the Country went cricket mad! Just about every television in London was tuned in, you could hear the roar of every wicket falling from viewers, it was just an amazing series, and some amazing memories of the time from me!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 pm

jayantmoudgil wrote:1981 Ashes is the one that is called Botham's Ashes, isn't it SE? I have only read about it but what a performance by him in that series.

That's the one! I'll try and find the link, it's bound to be on cricinfo somewhere, or if that fails, good old Wiki will rescue me. But some of the stats from the series are just unbelievable. I think Beefy got MOTM in about four of the six tests.

**EDIT**

Found it.

http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1 ... US_IN_ENG/

I'm trying to recall who took a hattrick for England, might have been Graham Dilley. I'm pretty sure Lillee took one somewhere in the series as well.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 pm

That Headingley test was just one in a million, I doubt we'll ever see a test like it again. Defeat was a nailed on certainty. The look on Bob Willis' face as he stormed in from The Kirkstall Lane end will live with me forever. How the hell we got a result from that game I'll never know, but Willis was bowling from the rugby end, then changed and suddenly the whole match changed.

Australia had a really decent team back then as well, Kim Hughes, Allan Border, Denis Lillee and Terry Alderman to name but a few to be scared of.

I remember people pouring out of houses and the high-rise blocks and just going mental on the streets.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Roger, this is what you were trying to post:

Add your thoughts again below.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks SE, this is the one that I really wanted to post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CD4klWb ... L&index=26

I can't get the videos to appear, I paste the link in the youtube brackets but they aren't appearing.

**SE13 Edit**

You mean like this......

rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:02 pm

And on that note, the rebirth of leg spin.

You can't mention Shane Warne in a thread without this ball.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks SE, yes exactly like that, I am putting the link in the brackets as you have but they simply aren't appearing.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:23 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:Thanks SE, yes exactly like that, I am putting the link in the brackets as you have but they simply aren't appearing.

It's a secret! :lol:

Seriously, you need the direct link. So when you find the video, re-enter the title into the search, and pick it out again, this time it'll have a direct URL, copy and paste that between the tags and it'll work.

Pain in the arse sometimes, but I'm more than happy to edit posts as and when I find them.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks SE, I'm going to try it here, here I go, this is the great Steve Waugh getting to a century in the last over of the day.

YES it works, thanks again.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am

Here is the climax to one of the most amazing test victories of all time -

rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooneritis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:12 am

a few in no particular order:

1. the 2005 ashes series
2. warnes 'ball of the century'
3. harmisons slower ball to dismiss clarke in 05 ashes to set up win
4. harmisons wicket of kasprowicz to steal the win in 05
5. all of vaughans tons v australia in 2002
6. england beating oz in sydney 98/99 tour when oz only needed 140 to win, goughs celebration was a magic moment.
7. 'that' jonty rhodes catch
8. brian lara's 400
9. indias follow on victory v australia
10. flintoff smashing ntini back over his head for 6 after ntini had just been abusing him
11. bothams ashes
12. viv richards innings in the WC final
13. the tied test (oz v windies)
14. donald v atherton
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooneritis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:17 am

oh and bangladesh beating australia :)

greatest catch ever perhaps:

ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 am

I quite liked Malinga getting the 4 wickets off 4 balls.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Next

Return to Cricket