Magic moments in Cricket

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: Magic moments in Cricket

Postby SE13 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:18 pm

The first test of the 84 tour by the West Indies, but for all the wrong reasons from an English point of view. A finer display of pace bowling you are unlikely to see. They absolutely tore us to shreds first innings with only Beefy providing resistance.

They then went on to an awesome display of batting before tearing through our batting a second time.

One of the most complete victories I can remember. We were thrashed!

The West Indian supporters in the crowd were waving a banner saying "Brownwash" :lol:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Actually, thinking back to the 81 Ashes series, word has it that Christopher Tavere has just scored his first run after only 28 years at the crease, one of his more prolific performances.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I'd hardly call this a magical moment, but it certainly sticks in the memory. I took a trip to Leeds in 1980 for a ODI against the West Indies. It poured down that day, I think we got about 18 overs and England lost three wickets. I don't think I've been quite so bitterly upset about a game!

The ticket was £2..... 4 weeks pocket money!

And I got caught in trying to buy beer on the West terrace.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to Cricket