The Ashes 2009 | Fifth Test

Ah, the sound of willow on leather! Discuss all aspects of cricket here.

Re: The Ashes 2009 | Fifth Test

Postby Briggsy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Who was man of the series?
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Who was man of the series?

Andrew Strauss

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 am

We have no chance of winning. Yorky, you talk shit, just like England are at cricket.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gooneritis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 am

SE13 wrote:Quick mention for Ricky Ponting. If this was his last Ashes game, then thanks for the memories, you have been sublime, a joy to watch, in fact a privilege. I've seen some fantastic Aussies over here during my years, but Ponting has to be the pick of the bunch. I know he's been on two losing Ashes series as Captain, but the displays we have seen from him deserve a mention of their own.

Actually maybe worthy of a thread of his own....?

it wont be his last ashes game, he'll be there in 14 months time.

he even said he wants one more tour of england, though he'll be 38 by then.

a great player, complete arse hole, but great player.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:03 am

gooneritis wrote:
SE13 wrote:Quick mention for Ricky Ponting. If this was his last Ashes game, then thanks for the memories, you have been sublime, a joy to watch, in fact a privilege. I've seen some fantastic Aussies over here during my years, but Ponting has to be the pick of the bunch. I know he's been on two losing Ashes series as Captain, but the displays we have seen from him deserve a mention of their own.

Actually maybe worthy of a thread of his own....?

it wont be his last ashes game, he'll be there in 14 months time.

he even said he wants one more tour of england, though he'll be 38 by then.

a great player, complete arse hole, but great player.

I think he'll finish on a win in Australia.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gunflash » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 pm

England's Ashes victory could be a chance for Gordon Brown to engineer a feelgood factor, leading to a "wicket election" at the end of the party conference season, as opposed to a khaki election, like in 1900, 1918 or 1945. Unfortunately he can't come out in public and comment in case someone asks him about the Lockerbie bomber.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:27 pm

At the minute I doubt if he could win the election if he were the only candidate.

We digress......

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:46 pm

i watched quite a bit of the ashes, and to be honest, i actually am liking cricket now, and got quite into it, just gutted about the result....

seriously though i do like watching it now
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm not a cricket lover and I am certainly not what you'd call an expert, but what about all the criticism Ponting has gotten by Aussie legends? Before the ashes ever started Sky showed interviews where they called him a bad captain who had never done anything to earn the praise he received.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 am

I suppose it's because he's the first Aussie Captain to lead a side to two Ashes defeats, but he led them to victory in South Africa which is no mean feat.

He's also the highest ever run scorer for Australia averaging well over 50. He is what is known as the prize scalp for England, we know he can be devastating once he's in.

I wonder what the Australian take on him is.......

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gooneritis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:33 am

jeff thompson has been laying into him big time
he said "everyone in australia thinks he is a c***"

now lashing him about not "going down with the ship like a captain should".
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby damo1583 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 pm

a
absolutely_fabregas wrote:i watched quite a bit of the ashes, and to be honest, i actually am liking cricket now, and got quite into it, just gutted about the result....

seriously though i do like watching it now

and to think of the grief you dished out to me when I started playing cricket again....LOL
seriously I am glad you enjoyed the series (test series can be tough to get into), the upcoming one dayers and 20/20's will be quality mate.....
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ozgooner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 am

jayantmoudgil wrote:Why are the Aussies critisizing Ponting? I don't think there was anything wrong in his captaincy. :dontknow:

not sure why , the buck stops with him i guess , he got a big score at cardiff then only grabbed 2 half centuries for the rest of the series if i remember correctly . you may critise his batting but i don't think you can have a go at him over his captaincy . it's the selectors who need floggin with a shitty stick :BangHead:

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm

If things had gone a bit differently the series would have been 2-2, England deserved to win at Lords and the Oval, Australia had a convincing win at Headingley. It's been said that rain ruined the Edgbaston test but Australia fought back very well there, they finished at 262 runs ahead with five wickets in hand, I think that's a very good position so I don't buy that they were saved by the rain. On the other hand consider what happened at Cardiff they were one wicket away from winning after two hours were lost on the fourth day, put those two hours onto the match and you are probably looking at an Australian victory and a drawn series.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby northerngooner83 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 am

Found a good blog reviewing the Ashes series here,

The thing is Ponting can only work with the players he has got, in previous years when his team has been in trouble he could toss the ball to a Warne or a McGrath and say "here you go, get us out of this hole," and they would.

It's hard to see what else he could have done this summer, it is a team in transition, though looking at some of the youngsters coming through the 2010-11 series down under will be tricky....
northerngooner83
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Previous

Return to Cricket