Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Ben White

Postby yadunoe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 am

My only problem with Ben white if he's the only significant player we buy and we blew our majority transfer funds on him if that's the case then by all means it's a horrible buy but I'm confident we will get Madison or auaor and get striker and rb in.
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 am

Reminds me of Vermalean or maybe even Koscielny. A ball playing center back with quick recovery. Always an exciting option to have. Despite not thinking he’s worth 50 mil, I look forward to seeing him play for us.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:37 am

swipe right wrote:Reminds me of Vermalean or maybe even Koscielny. A ball playing center back with quick recovery. Always an exciting option to have. Despite not thinking he’s worth 50 mil, I look forward to seeing him play for us.

If he turns out like the Verminator in his prime I will be very happy.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Goonerred » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:41 am

Have we got a Youtube video of this guy?
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:44 am

Goonerred wrote:Have we got a Youtube video of this guy?

His main assets seem to be playing out from the back, passing and reading the game - i.e. intelligence to be in the right defensive positions as opposed to being able to recover from poor positioning. Weakness seems to be defensive headers.
Who he partners with will be important I think - as it often is for CBs.
He may also not be the best option against teams that are going to dominate possession against us. He's not really a 'back to wall' defender.
He'll need to work hard and improve on his heading particularly.

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:02 am

Nuggets wrote:
swipe right wrote:Reminds me of Vermalean or maybe even Koscielny. A ball playing center back with quick recovery. Always an exciting option to have. Despite not thinking he’s worth 50 mil, I look forward to seeing him play for us.

As long as his injury record is nothing like Tommy's :lol:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 am

jayramfootball wrote:

His main assets seem to be playing out from the back, passing and reading the game - i.e. intelligence to be in the right defensive positions as opposed to being able to recover from poor positioning. Weakness seems to be defensive headers.
He may also not be the best option against teams that are going to dominate possession against us. He's not really a 'back to wall' defender.

Thing is he'll be partnered with either gabriel or mari who both prefer the physical side of the game and are decent in the air.

I'd prefer another big CB but we could always rotate him with Holding against those type of teams.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:36 am

Santi wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

As long as his injury record is nothing like Tommy's :lol:

True lol
Nuggets

Postby Goonerred » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am

Tony Adams wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Thing is he'll be partnered with either gabriel or mari who both prefer the physical side of the game and are decent in the air.

I'd prefer another big CB but we could always rotate him with Holding against those type of teams.

HIs passing looks good. We'll see.
Goonerred

Postby KG3 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 am

Özim wrote:Varane is leagues ahead of White, just shows how overpriced White is.

No one in their right minds would pay more for him than Varane, he’s totally unproven at the top level.

Typical Arsenal really Mahrez was available for 60M and a year later we pay 72M for Pepe, Kante was available for 30M but we decided on Xhaka for 35M, prime Higuain was available for 35M but we chose to stick with Giroud who went 12 games without scoring and lost the league title to Leicester, with a word class striker we would have walked the league that year, not even a world class one even someone Lacazette level.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:10 am

Tony Adams wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yep, I could see us rotating CBs based on the opposition.
White seems to be adept at playing out from the back and particularly carrying the ball into space in midfield - that will help break down defences as he'll overload the midfield in our favour. Not really something we'll be able to do as effectively if we're pinned back against top opposition though.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Play him as part of a back three with license to move forward with the FBs pushing up.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Back three:

Tierney-Gabriel-White
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Slick » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm

Pining for Varane is a waste of time. He would have never signed with a team coming off an 8th place finish.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby yadunoe » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm

KG3 wrote:
Özim wrote:Varane is leagues ahead of White, just shows how overpriced White is.

No one in their right minds would pay more for him than Varane, he’s totally unproven at the top level.

Typical Arsenal really Mahrez was available for 60M and a year later we pay 72M for Pepe, Kante was available for 30M but we decided on Xhaka for 35M, prime Higuain was available for 35M but we chose to stick with Giroud who went 12 games without scoring and lost the league title to Leicester, with a word class striker we would have walked the league that year, not even a world class one even someone Lacazette level.

santi injury cost us that year and only signing cech lool
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk