Matheus Martinelli

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Matheus Martinelli

Postby Zenith » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Nationality: Brazilian
Date of birth: October 5, 2001
Preferred position(s): Central Midfield
Height: 1.76 m / 5'9''
Parent club: Fluminense

Metro

Arsenal open talks with representatives of Fluminense youngster Matheus Martinelli

Arsenal have made an approach to land Fluminense starlet Matheus Martinelli, according to reports in Brazil.

The Spaniard has made it clear he’s keen to sign Martin Odegaard on a permanent basis when the Norwegian’s loan deal expires at the end of the campaign but Real Madrid are yet to make a final decision on the player’s future as he continues to impress in Arsenal colours. The Gunners have therefore been forced to scour the market for possible alternatives should Odegaard return to the Bernabeu and Fluminense’s Martinelli – no relation to Gabriel – is firmly on the club’s radar.

Globo Esporte claims Arsenal have been scouting the 19-year-old Brazilian in recent months and have opened talks with his entourage to gather more information and gauge whether he would be interested in a move to the Emirates. However, the north London giants are yet to make contact with Fluminense over a potential bid for Martinelli’s signature and the teenager remains fully focussed on establishing himself in Roger Machado’s first-team at the Maracana.

The reports suggests he is enjoying his time at Fluminense and is looking forward to competing in Copa Libertadores for the first time. Arsenal are aware that Martinelli will not come cheap given he has a €40million (£35m) in his contract at Fluminense. The youngster made his first-team debut back in December and has scored three goals in 11 appearances in the Brazilian top flight this season.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Matheus Martinelli

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm

We already have one thanks, probably a good idea to play him as opposed to buying another to sit on the bench.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:23 pm

I'm glad that we appear to be taking a much better approach to transfers in focusing more on younger, prestigious talents even though that in itself carries no guarantee of a successful outcome, especially when coming from the American and Asian continents.

The massive upheaval involved beyond physically moving to a new country but also culturally and linguistically never mind accounting for our British weather, could prove difficult for a grown arsed thirty something never mind a 21 year old or younger, a fact now being showcased by Lucas Torreira.

As such, the need for due diligence and fastidious scrutiny of character traits, ambitions, family support and guidance as well as upbringing is paramount, but still essentially as fragile as the result of a coin toss.

Worryingly for me though with regards to this fella is the tag line to his YouTube reel of 'amazing skills' given I saw absolutely nothing of any note beyond one good long range shot and a couple of Tom Daley impersonations.

That this Martinelli is touted as a central midfield prospect, I would proclaim Miguel Azeez to be significantly ahead of him and displaying a much higher ceiling, but at the same time I temper that by acknowledging he is yet to show that against a mens team instead of just his peers the same way Saka and Smith-Rowe have done.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:37 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:I'm glad that we appear to be taking a much better approach to transfers in focusing more on younger, prestigious talents even though that in itself carries no guarantee of a successful outcome, especially when coming from the American and Asian continents.

The massive upheaval involved beyond physically moving to a new country but also culturally and linguistically never mind accounting for our British weather, could prove difficult for a grown arsed thirty something never mind a 21 year old or younger, a fact now being showcased by Lucas Torreira.

As such, the need for due diligence and fastidious scrutiny of character traits, ambitions, family support and guidance as well as upbringing is paramount, but still essentially as fragile as the result of a coin toss.

Worryingly for me though with regards to this fella is the tag line to his YouTube reel of 'amazing skills' given I saw absolutely nothing of any note beyond one good long range shot and a couple of Tom Daley impersonations.

That this Martinelli is touted as a central midfield prospect, I would proclaim Miguel Azeez to be significantly ahead of him and displaying a much higher ceiling, but at the same time I temper that by acknowledging he is yet to show that against a mens team instead of just his peers the same way Saka and Smith-Rowe have done.

Young with potential and just coming to the boil = good.
But not for 40 million EURO.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill