Ben Arfa

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Ben Arfa - done deal?

Postby Est83 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I wanted him when we went in for Nasri. I think they're very similar in the mould of player that they are. They're both eager to play the CAM role but have largely been utilised on the wing.

I see him as a more pacey, left footed Nasri that likes to shoot a little more. His passing probably isn't quite up to Nasri's standard, but he's more direct.

No point in even contemplating it at the price being mentioned though.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Angelito » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am

He is way too inconsistent for that price range. 15 million is the max for a player like him. And, I'd rather invest 15 - 17 million on the defensive signing of M'Vila. If we can get him for a relatively cheaper price, sure, he would improve our options, but for that range--add 4 more and we'd have gotten Lavezzi.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:01 am

He's shown he's a good player in the past year but I don't particularly want him here and he isn't worth that much. But then neither is M'Vila.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was true though as Wenger is restoring and expanding his french quota double quick. I said 2 years ago on the last page that he's obsessed and he is.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 pm

I agree with those who say he's a bit like Nasri, so I wouldn't complain if we signed him. However, anything above 10 million for a player like him is a joke, IMHO
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby mg86 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd take him for under 20 million. He is 25 years old and had a solid season last year. I only expect him to improve.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby TRA Dial Square » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Hmmm... Dempsey may be ours with all the talk of our reps meeting his and now he's been denied by Fulham to play in a Charity match Messi held.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Ben Arfa to add could allow us to finally play the 4-4-2 again.

Gervinho Song Wilshere Ben Arfa
Van Persie Podolski
Szczesny
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Angelito wrote:He is way too inconsistent for that price range. 15 million is the max for a player like him. And, I'd rather invest 15 - 17 million on the defensive signing of M'Vila. If we can get him for a relatively cheaper price, sure, he would improve our options, but for that range--add 4 more and we'd have gotten Lavezzi.

This

We are thinking too small
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

mg86 wrote:Ben Arfa to add could allow us to finally play the 4-4-2 again.

Gervinho Song Wilshere Ben Arfa
Van Persie Podolski

Ben Arfa Song Wilshere Podolski
van Persie Giroud
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gooney » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 pm

hmmm the people who want him here simply dont know anything about ben arfa, except the bit they seen at newcastle. The guy is known trouble maker who always cause trouble where he goes. He has gone on strike and refused to play both for Lyon and Marseille. 2 clubs where he fell out with players and forced a move. He is someone who is known in france to be talented, but disgusting attitude. he was on the phone in the dressing right after the sweden loss and when Blanc told him off, he said you can send me home if you want to. He also confronted the manager in the dressing room for subbing him when he said there were worse players than him( there realle were not in midfield or attack)

Short story right he has horrible attitude and I just know next person will say Wenger will get him right which is laughable as Wenger couldnt sort out players with bad attitude in the past. end of the day if a player lacks basic respect for others, he's not worth having around
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:36 pm

gooney wrote:hmmm the people who want him here simply dont know anything about ben arfa, except the bit they seen at newcastle. The guy is known trouble maker who always cause trouble where he goes. He has gone on strike and refused to play both for Lyon and Marseille. 2 clubs where he fell out with players and forced a move. He is someone who is known in france to be talented, but disgusting attitude. he was on the phone in the dressing right after the sweden loss and when Blanc told him off, he said you can send me home if you want to. He also confronted the manager in the dressing room for subbing him when he said there were worse players than him( there realle were not in midfield or attack)

Short story right he has horrible attitude and I just know next person will say Wenger will get him right which is laughable as Wenger couldnt sort out players with bad attitude in the past. end of the day if a player lacks basic respect for others, he's not worth having around

+1
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby golfinguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm

gooney wrote:hmmm the people who want him here simply dont know anything about ben arfa, except the bit they seen at newcastle. The guy is known trouble maker who always cause trouble where he goes. He has gone on strike and refused to play both for Lyon and Marseille. 2 clubs where he fell out with players and forced a move. He is someone who is known in france to be talented, but disgusting attitude. he was on the phone in the dressing right after the sweden loss and when Blanc told him off, he said you can send me home if you want to. He also confronted the manager in the dressing room for subbing him when he said there were worse players than him( there realle were not in midfield or attack)

Most thought his attitude problems were behind him - glowing reports from Newcastle, Diaby saying they're over the spat, etc. I have been wanting him here since this transfer window started - fast, tricky, scares defenders - just what we need.

If he's still being a prick though, my mind may get changed. And 18M is a bit much too.

Would love a player like that though (come on Ox! Mature quickly please).
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mg86 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I think we'd need to offload Arshavin and loan out Miyaichi before this could happen. Want him here definitely though. The injury spell kind of removed him from the scene for a bit and people have forgotten how technically skilled he is. Now he's producing consistent performances for Newcastle which was the one thing I wanted from him before I admitted to take the risk. Dempsey and Ben Arfa would be better buys than anymore people from outside of the league because they are set to go like Arteta from the season opening.
Szczesny
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby golfinguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 pm

mg86 wrote:I think we'd need to offload Arshavin and loan out Miyaichi before this could happen. Want him here definitely though. The injury spell kind of removed him from the scene for a bit and people have forgotten how technically skilled he is. Now he's producing consistent performances for Newcastle which was the one thing I wanted from him before I admitted to take the risk. Dempsey and Ben Arfa would be better buys than anymore people from outside of the league because they are set to go like Arteta from the season opening.

Ya, that was another point I've been making on Ben Arfa - he's proven in England unlike many of the similar options. I think he can easily make a 'Hazard' impact at less than half the cost.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Do not want.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill