Jack Grealish

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Jack Grealish

Postby gamechannel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:33 am

Zenith wrote:Not even United are ludicrous enough to pay £80m for a player who'd struggle to get into their starting XI.

Remove his nationality and homegrown status and you have a player who's worth about £35m in today's market.

Phil71 wrote:One of the worst things about the PL era is that most of our fans became finance directors.

Why does anyone give a shit about how much a player may or may not cost? If the club have the money to pay it, what's the problem. We get a very good player added to the squad.

Because value for money directly influences squad quality and quality has a great influence on where you end up in the table. That, in turn, influences your transfer budget which allows you to make those big-money gambles every now and then.

It's also not reflecting well upon those who were/are responsible for recruitment that 4 out of our 5 last big-money acquisitions have either struggled with consistency (Pépé, Laca) or turned out to be a waste of money (Xhaka, Mustafi). The only player who, thus far, has lived up to his premium price tag is Aubameyang and he has entered the last year of his contract.

That's roughly £250m spent on players who, collectively, wouldn't command a third of that amount if they were sold. Sold? Yes because, unless Kroenke decides to Abramovic-type owner and starts sanctioning deals from his own pocket, the club can't just continue to spend £80m on good (albeit nowhere near world class) players without getting into serious trouble with UEFA regarding FFP.

Wouldn't you agree that—given the position we find ourselves are in—it's in our best interest for those in charge of recruitment to finally starting using the club's financial resources wisely? I mean it's, nota bene, the main reason we find ourselves in the situation we're in.

:rofll:

£35 million in todays market gets you a Torriera or Cebellos level player not Grealish. Even if he wasn't home grown or British, he'd still cost upwards of £60 million in todays market.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 am

↑ I mean, Hakimi and Ziyech moved for less than 40 million and Tonali is moving for less than that, but okay.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 am

gamechannel wrote::rofll:

£35 million in todays market gets you a Torriera or Cebellos level player not Grealish. Even if he wasn't home grown or British, he'd still cost upwards of £60 million in todays market.

Nope. Torreira cost £22.5m—and that's prior to the pandemic-related market crash.

Also, right now, no-one is going to pay £35m for Ceballos.

LMAO wrote:↑ I mean, Hakimi and Ziyech moved for less than 40 million and Tonali is moving for less than that, but okay.

This.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am

Zenith wrote:Not even United are ludicrous enough to pay £80m for a player who'd struggle to get into their starting XI.

Remove his nationality and homegrown status and you have a player who's worth about £35m in today's market.

Phil71 wrote:One of the worst things about the PL era is that most of our fans became finance directors.

Why does anyone give a shit about how much a player may or may not cost? If the club have the money to pay it, what's the problem. We get a very good player added to the squad.

Because value for money directly influences squad quality and quality has a great influence on where you end up in the table. That, in turn, influences your transfer budget which allows you to make those big-money gambles every now and then.

It's also not reflecting well upon those who were/are responsible for recruitment that 4 out of our 5 last big-money acquisitions have either struggled with consistency (Pépé, Laca) or turned out to be a waste of money (Xhaka, Mustafi). The only player who, thus far, has lived up to his premium price tag is Aubameyang and he has entered the last year of his contract.

That's roughly £250m spent on players who, collectively, wouldn't command a third of that amount if they were sold. Sold? Yes because, unless Kroenke decides to Abramovic-type owner and starts sanctioning deals from his own pocket, the club can't just continue to spend £80m on good (albeit nowhere near world class) players without getting into serious trouble with UEFA regarding FFP.

Wouldn't you agree that—given the position we find ourselves are in—it's in our best interest for those in charge of recruitment to finally starting using the club's financial resources wisely? I mean it's, nota bene, the main reason we find ourselves in the situation we're in.

Not spending enough money - but primarily poor football management is the reason we are in this situation.

But every successful club makes poor signings. Liverpool, Man City, United, Chelsea - they all make signings that don't work out.

The difference between us and them is that we stick with the poor players and win nothing, whilst they bin them and get another. That's why they win big trophies and we don't.

If we are to compete at the top table in the PL we have to spend more money on good players and improve the football management & coaching. It's as simple as that.

I don't worry about the club's finances. I let their accountants do that. All I'm interested in is the football.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 am

Zen was being liberal in his assessment of £35m. If Grealish were from Spain, he'd be moving around for £20-25m. You can't use Ceballos to measure Grealish's value. Ceballos is actually a better player. Just not English enough.

Clubs are better off paying £120+m for world class players than paying £80m for someone like Grealish. That pays more dividend in the long run.

On a different note, why can't we pay over the odds for players like Tonali instead of paying hogwash fees for Xhaka and Mustafi, or being stupid and over-paying for Pepe?

Ugh.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am

Ceballos is nowhere near as good as Grealish. Madrid want rid of him, if he was that good they wouldn't.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Özim wrote:Ceballos is nowhere near as good as Grealish. Madrid want rid of him, if he was that good they wouldn't.

So, Grealish would get into Madrid's squad?

Zidane doesn't "like" Ceballos. That's a major problem for him.

I agree that he is not good enough for a side that has just won the League and has won 3 out of the last 4 UCLs.

By that same logic, apart from Auba, nobody else in our squad is.

Santi Cazorla is as good as David Silva at the very least. But he never played for Madrid or Barca. It really doesn't work that way.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:27 pm

If grealish was so good then why have united pulled out ? He’s basically begging to play for them and they’ve said nah f**k it.

Media hype has inflated his price. At 40m he’s probably be a decent signing but he’s also a little arrogant w***er.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Not in a month of Sundays. If he does go it'll be to City or United for some inflated fee.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Lol obviously grealish is better than ceballos

Grealish would be a good signing for us but wouldnt go above 35.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby yadunoe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 am

We need partey nit grealish
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

Santi wrote:If grealish was so good then why have united pulled out ? He’s basically begging to play for them and they’ve said nah f**k it.

Media hype has inflated his price. At 40m he’s probably be a decent signing but he’s also a little arrogant w***er.

Amen.

Damn right he's over hyped, just like Maguire was.

Wtf has he done to warrant this £80m or even £60m??

He's a £40m player and even that's generous, I think £35m is solid.

CM's don't usually go for more than £50m unless your a WC CAM like DeBruyne or top 5 CM in Europe i.e Pogba.

To even attempt to put Jack Grealish in that category is a laughing stock of an opinion.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm

At this point anyone saying he is worth Villa's asking price are paying for his haircut. The game of football is won on the pitch by real players not by a picture in a virtual fantasy land like FIFA. Oh and Grealish can't even polish Ceballos' boots. Ceballos is a year younger and has played for Real Betis, Real Madrid and is loaned out to our Arsenal. He also plays for the Spanish National Team. Grealish is a year older, plays for Villa which is the biggest club he's played for to date and plays for a National Team whose last significant trophy came in my grandparent's time.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Callum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 pm

5m + elneny should do it
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 pm