Available Managers

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Available Managers

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Why is it the fan base keeps talking about foreign managers?

Eddie Howe, Chris Wilder, Sean Dyche, Brendan Rodgers - all from the Uk and all better than Emery. Play more attractive football and achieve far more with what they have. They've all put in the years and I'd be delighted with any one of them as the next manager.

I want a manager from the UK.

Because these managers have no experience competing in anything but the league and maybe a cup every once in a while. And they never come close to winning either.

A team like Arsenal will be involved in at least 3 competitions throughout the season. Almost every player is an NT member so their absences need to be accounted for as well.

That involves squad rotation, match rescheduling and a ton of travel related hassle. The worst Eddie Howe has ever put up with is maybe having to sit in a bus for 8 hours traveling to Swansea or something.

Aside from Roy Hodgson in 2010, no other currently active UK manager has ever even been in a European cup final.

That's because we've fallen into the stupid notion in this country that foreign managers are better. They get the big jobs.
Alex Ferguson was better than all of them put together.

I want a UK manager. Fed up of over rated deadwood from abroad taking the top jobs in this country.
Put any of them in charge of Bournmouth and see if they do better than Howe. I doubt very much they would.
Emery certainly would not. Not only is he a shite manager, he can't string a sentence together.

Same goes for players - 3 foreigners per squad should be the cap.

British managers have to earn their way to a top job and not screw up when they get the opportunity. Managers like Hughes and Bruce keep getting jobs despite being terrible. Moyes screwed up at Utd. Hodgson and Dagliesh were no good at Liverpool. Remember Tim Sherwood?

It would actually help if more British managers went overseas to gain more experience. Take a risk if you can't get the recognition in the Prem. Everyone else seems to do it except British coaches.

There are far more foreign managers that have screwed up at big clubs in this country.
Why should British managers have to go overseas? Foreign managers come here into the top jobs without having achieved anything in British football - and often from clubs that are not even top clubs.
The fascination with foreign managers is nonsensical.
You're agrument above is pants. Eddie Howe has done a great job at Bournmouth. Why should he be behind the likes of Emery, whose only achievement is winning the Europey League and managing a team in France who had no competition? He's proven to be clueless in the PL.

We need to rid our game of foreign influence - the odd player here and there, sure. If they are truly world class. Other than that - British please.

What has Eddie How won with Bournemouth? How far has he gone in domestic cup competitions? What's his highest finish in the Prem? If you can answer the following you have answer as to why he hasn't been trusted with a top job just yet. Call it a 'pants' argument but it's a reality. If he were to go further in some of the cup competitions or manage to finish in a EL position like we've seen with Wolves, he may get a shot with a bigger club.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Why is it the fan base keeps talking about foreign managers?

Eddie Howe, Chris Wilder, Sean Dyche, Brendan Rodgers - all from the Uk and all better than Emery. Play more attractive football and achieve far more with what they have. They've all put in the years and I'd be delighted with any one of them as the next manager.

Because these managers have no experience competing in anything but the league and maybe a cup every once in a while. And they never come close to winning either.

A team like Arsenal will be involved in at least 3 competitions throughout the season. Almost every player is an NT member so their absences need to be accounted for as well.

That involves squad rotation, match rescheduling and a ton of travel related hassle. The worst Eddie Howe has ever put up with is maybe having to sit in a bus for 8 hours traveling to Swansea or something.

Aside from Roy Hodgson in 2010, no other currently active UK manager has ever even been in a European cup final.

That's because we've fallen into the stupid notion in this country that foreign managers are better. They get the big jobs.

I want a UK manager. Fed up of over rated deadwood from abroad taking the top jobs in this country.
Put any of them in charge of Bournmouth and see if they do better than Howe. I doubt very much they would.
Emery certainly would not. Not only is he a shite manager, he can't string a sentence together.

British managers have to earn their way to a top job and not screw up when they get the opportunity. Managers like Hughes and Bruce keep getting jobs despite being terrible. Moyes screwed up at Utd. Hodgson and Dagliesh were no good at Liverpool. Remember Tim Sherwood?

It would actually help if more British managers went overseas to gain more experience. Take a risk if you can't get the recognition in the Prem. Everyone else seems to do it except British coaches.

There are far more foreign managers that have screwed up at big clubs in this country.
Why should British managers have to go overseas? Foreign managers come here into the top jobs without having achieved anything in British football - and often from clubs that are not even top clubs.
You're agrument above is pants. Eddie Howe has done a great job at Bournmouth. Why should he be behind the likes of Emery, whose only achievement is winning the Europey League and managing a team in France who had no competition? He's proven to be clueless in the PL.

We need to rid our game of foreign influence - the odd player here and there, sure. If they are truly world class. Other than that - British please.

What has Eddie How won with Bournemouth? How far has he gone in domestic cup competitions? What's his highest finish in the Prem? If you can answer the following you have answer as to why he hasn't been trusted with a top job just yet. Call it a 'pants' argument but it's a reality. If he were to go further in some of the cup competitions or manage to finish in a EL position like we've seen with Wolves, he may get a shot with a bigger club.

It's Bournmouth FFS - he's not going to win anything. The job he has done there is excellent.
Your argument is pants imo because you think a British manager has to win something with a small club in order to be ready for a big club.
It's like saying to a F1 driver - you can't drive for a top team capable of winning GP's until you've won one in a Haas.
Lewis Hamilton won the sum total of zero F1 races when McLaren signed him up.
Back to football, Pochettino won eff all as a manager before being installed as Spurs manager. His win rate at Soton was less than 40% - worse than Howe's.
Mourinho won nada at União de Leiria or Benfica before being given the chance at Porto. The rest is a history of one of the most successful big club managers of all time.
Guardiola didn't even manage a smaller club at all before being given the reigns at Barcelona.
Klopp won nothing at Mainz in 7 years and had a win rate less than Howe's before he was given the Dortmund job.

You have to give talented people the chance to win the big prizes at the big teams. Otherwise beware of fishing in a pool of out of date has beens.
It seems only foreign managers get those chances and British managers rarely do.
I'd like Arsenal to end that trend and appoint a British manager.
Howe would be a great choice. I would create a much bigger buzz in this country than appointing another 'name' on the merry go round of foreign managers and I'd rate his chances of success higher than any foreign manager out there.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Howe pretty much built modern Bournemouth and has kept them up in a tiny ground on a tiny budget, He plays nice attacking football while actually defending, and has done so for a decade. It's not so much what he has won as what he would bring to the club in terms of stability, a system that works and quite frankly... sanity.

As far as I can recall, Howe has played a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 against the pressing sides for about three years now. His sides move the ball from the back with possession while doing a lot of strategic pressing in midfield. His sides don't ship goals either. Based on his history someone is going to get a gem of a manager.

Is he my first choice? Don't know but I would take the man over Brendan Rodgers any day. Managers don't need to be English or Martian, they need to win with the resources made available to him. So for me we have three paths...hang onto Emery and hope it gells, sack Emery and hire another big name who will want to spend money we don't have or thirdly go with a up and comer like Howe.

Dyche? f**k no.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Moyes had Everton finishing between 5th and 8th for close to a decade. Made the step up to a big job at Utd and can't even get a PL gig anymore.

The dumbest thing Howe, Dyche and the rest could do is to leave a stable, multi-million £ job at clubs where they're liked, for a job at Arsenal, where they're actually expected to win something.

Never believed for a second that Wenger would have left Arsenal for Real or whoever. What would he rather have, a stable £8m/yr for 10 years for 4th place or sacked and looking for work after finishing 2nd with Real?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:32 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:

It's Bournmouth FFS - he's not going to win anything. The job he has done there is excellent.
Your argument is pants imo because you think a British manager has to win something with a small club in order to be ready for a big club.
It's like saying to a F1 driver - you can't drive for a top team capable of winning GP's until you've won one in a Haas.
Back to football, Pochettino won eff all as a manager before being installed as Spurs manager. His win rate at Soton was less than 40% - worse than Howe's.
Mourinho won nada at União de Leiria or Benfica before being given the chance at Porto. The rest is a history of one of the most successful big club managers of all time.
Guardiola didn't even manage a smaller club at all before being given the reigns at Barcelona.
Klopp won nothing at Mainz in 7 years and had a win rate less than Howe's before he was given the Dortmund job.

You have to give talented people the chance to win the big prizes at the big teams. Otherwise beware of fishing in a pool of out of date has beens.
It seems only foreign managers get those chances and British managers rarely do.
Howe would be a great choice. I would create a much bigger buzz in this country than appointing another 'name' on the merry go round of foreign managers and I'd rate his chances of success higher than any foreign manager out there.

Nothing is going to given on a plate. I wouldn't mind Howe as manager but the reality is that he needs to move to a slightly bigger club to compete for bigger prizes if not given the opportunity. That's how it works. Dortmund weren't Bundesliga champions when Klopp got the job. They were on the brink of collapse with financial troubles. Pep was a former Barca player that came through Barca's coaching system. Same for Zidane for Real. Poch played an attractive brand of football at Soton and Spurs had ran through so many different managers, they were willing to try something different and focus more on brand of football.

Nothing against Howe and he'd probably be better than Emery but I highly doubt the Board are looking at him as an option. If they can still court the attention of managers with experience in Europe and former title winners, those guys will most likely get the vote. That's how it will work I'm afraid. As said, more British managers should go abroad and get that European experience.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:

Nothing is going to given on a plate. I wouldn't mind Howe as manager but the reality is that he needs to move to a slightly bigger club to compete for bigger prizes if not given the opportunity. That's how it works. Dortmund weren't Bundesliga champions when Klopp got the job. They were on the brink of collapse with financial troubles. Pep was a former Barca player that came through Barca's coaching system. Same for Zidane for Real. Poch played an attractive brand of football at Soton and Spurs had ran through so many different managers, they were willing to try something different and focus more on brand of football.

Nothing against Howe and he'd probably be better than Emery but I highly doubt the Board are looking at him as an option. If they can still court the attention of managers with experience in Europe and former title winners, those guys will most likely get the vote. That's how it will work I'm afraid. As said, more British managers should go abroad and get that European experience.

Klopp managed Mainz. Sure Dortmund were not champions, but then neither are we, are we? We're not even close.
Howe plays attractive football, probably more so than Pocettino did at Soton - and it's fair to say we've not found the right manager in Emery.

There is simply no need for British managers to go abroad. What exactly would that accomplish? If Howe is not ready for Arsenal, then what kind of foreign club is he ready for??? One no better than Bournmouth. How would that get him ready?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:06 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:

Klopp managed Mainz. Sure Dortmund were not champions, but then neither are we, are we? We're not even close.
Howe plays attractive football, probably more so than Pocettino did at Soton - and it's fair to say we've not found the right manager in Emery.

There is simply no need for British managers to go abroad. What exactly would that accomplish? If Howe is not ready for Arsenal, then what kind of foreign club is he ready for??? One no better than Bournmouth. How would that get him ready?

If he were to go to a club like Sevilla and win the Europa league he's in with a shot at Arsenal. :dontknow:

If he wants to stay in England, he should apply for that Everton job and see if he can get them contending for Europe.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:

If he were to go to a club like Sevilla and win the Europa league he's in with a shot at Arsenal. :dontknow:

If he wants to stay in England, he should apply for that Everton job and see if he can get them contending for Europe.

That's where I can;t agree - if managers like Klopp, Pocettino, Mourinho don't have to win anything to land jobs at clubs as big as we are, why should a British manager? Just think we get too hung up on thinking foreign means better.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Still on the Jesse Marsch hype train.

America finally has a coach worth a damn. Kroenke needs to help out his fellow countryman ffs

And bring in Weston McKennie while he's at it.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:33 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:

That's where I can;t agree - if managers like Klopp, Pocettino, Mourinho don't have to win anything to land jobs at clubs as big as we are, why should a British manager? Just think we get too hung up on thinking foreign means better.

Agree in principle but that's the way it is. Klopp with Dortmund was different. They weren't champions and needed someone that could work to a budget because they were on the brink of collapse.

But British managers need to start putting themselves in the conversation. Rodgers at least went to Celtic to get some Champions League experience. It helps.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 am

Why don't posters just cut and paste what they want to reply to not create a never ending story. just saying. Anyway Neil Warnock is available. :biggrin:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Sims » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am

Nuggets wrote:Why don't posters just cut and paste what they want to reply to not create a never ending story. just saying. Anyway Neil Warnock is available. :biggrin:

Took me 10 minutes to scroll to the bottom of the page
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:32 pm

https://talksport.com/football/628875/m ... =157359725

Man City can't wait to get rid.

We must not get him. If people think things are bad now (they aren't) that's nothing to being relegated if this guy comes in.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Bad news lads, Henry just took the Montreal Impact job so he won't be able to take over from failing Unai :crybaby:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/montreal-impact/story/3989559/thierry-henry-named-montreal-impact-head-coach
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50423932

Bring him home once Emery leaves in the summer
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill