Houssem Aouar

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Houssem Aouar

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Now that we appear to have finally commited to the 4-3-3 formation as our default setting, in seeking to impart on the left of midfield a similar production of guile, creativity and graft as we get from Odegaard on the right, does the recruitment of Houssem Aouar suddenly now become much more feasible in the grand scheme of things?
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:32 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Now that we appear to have finally commited to the 4-3-3 formation as our default setting, in seeking to impart on the left of midfield a similar production of guile, creativity and graft as we get from Odegaard on the right, does the recruitment of Houssem Aouar suddenly now become more feasible in the grand scheme of things?

I am not sure it would work to have Odegaard and Aouar with one of Partey/Xhaka.
I would have though maybe Aouar would be further forward and then competing with the likes of ESR, Martinelli and Pepe for a place?
The question is whether we really need more competition there.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:32 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Now that we appear to have finally commited to the 4-3-3 formation as our default setting, in seeking to impart on the left of midfield a similar production of guile, creativity and graft as we get from Odegaard on the right, does the recruitment of Houssem Aouar suddenly now become more feasible in the grand scheme of things?

I am not sure it would work to have Odegaard and Aouar with one of Partey/Xhaka.
I would have though maybe Aouar would be further forward and then competing with the likes of ESR, Martinelli and Pepe for a place?
The question is whether we really need more competition there.

Fair comment, however in a midfield 3 arrangement of Aouar, Partey, Odegaard being similar to how City set up with KDB, Rodri, Silva across the middle of the park, I think the scope for it to work does exist. Xhaka would not be part of the equation in that he would be the player replaced by the Frenchman and also not be tasked with the CDM role as an alternative to Partey in my consideration.

That Aouar could indeed be played further forward as you mention, is actually another good reason as to why he would suit Arteta's appreciation for players able to be equally as effective in more than one position in a team, and wouldn't instigate the question by not being in direct competition in the first place. Besides, I'm of the opinion that Smith-Rowe is similarly as capable of playing that left-midfield position.

That the Frenchman does operate from the left of midfield with passing, flair and creativity being his Modus Operandi, is why he pretty much ticks all the boxes as an alternative to Xhaka in the role.

However, in also appreciating that Odegaard was considered a traditional no.10 type playmaker as opposed to how he's playing from the right of the midfield 3, is why I also think Aouar's team mate Lucas Paqueta could be similarly tweaked and fettled position wise and tailored to fit like a Saville Row suit as an even better option to mirror what the Norwegian does and threaten an even greater output of goals and chance creation from the left, similar to what we did with Alexanda Hleb.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby alexafc12 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:25 pm

1 year left on his deal. If we were willing to stump up £35m for him a few years ago surely now is an opportune time to get him.

Reports saying £15m would do it. Him and Tielemans for £40m ... ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Thu May 26, 2022 10:54 pm

Should be all over it, cut price gamble. The type we can afford to have as squad depth and we were bidding 40m+ so either were very wrong or should be back in.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm

He plays deeper too, could definitely pivot with someone like Partey next to him.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Fran Solo » Sat May 28, 2022 8:32 am

TedLasso wrote:I have been thinking we need some cover for Odegaard. No idea what Arteta would do with that spot if he gets injured, especially a long term injury.

He is not a number 10, isn't he?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 28, 2022 11:37 am

TedLasso wrote:I have been thinking we need some cover for Odegaard. No idea what Arteta would do with that spot if he gets injured, especially a long term injury.
ESR?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat May 28, 2022 11:37 am

ESR sucks
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat May 28, 2022 1:45 pm

We aren't interested in him. He was available all summer in 2020, remember? Arteta in general doesn't seem to rate French or Francophone players.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby NovaGB » Sat May 28, 2022 3:54 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:

He is not a number 10, isn't he?

I thought he was an 8/10 midfielder in the same mold but I admittedly dont watch much of Lyon.

He is a 8/10, hes certainly not a dm
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Sat May 28, 2022 3:54 pm

Santi wrote:ESR sucks

You need to lay off the nose candy.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry