Eric Bailly

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Eric Bailly

Postby yadunoe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:21 am

gnagnon, Malang sarr , Issa diop id get theese guys in
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 am

by James Ducker and Jeremy Wilson (Telegraph)
Jose Mourinho ready to sell Manchester United pair in January

Jose Mourinho, the Manchester United manager, is prepared to cash in on Eric Bailly and Marcos Rojo in a bid to bring in a new centre-half in January but the club and Alexis Sanchez fear they are stuck with each other.

Mourinho’s continuing battles came as Nicky Butt, the head of United’s academy, admitted the comprehensive 3-1 derby defeat to Manchester City on Sunday had provided another chilling reminder of just how far behind their local rivals the club had fallen.

The loss left United languishing in eighth, 12 points behind leaders City, seven adrift of the top four and with a negative goal difference, and Butt, a member of United’s 1998/99 treble winning side, left Mourinho and the club’s hierarchy under no illusions about the challenges they face going forward.

“I think every now and again you come up against a team that are too good for you,” Butt told the international player care conference in London on Monday in a candid admission about City’s supremacy. “Every now and again you have got to hold your hands up and say they are a better team than us, better players than us, too good for every team in the Premier League to be honest, and they are as good as any team in Europe.

“For Man Utd now, we have got a challenge on to get back to where we want to be, which is the biggest club in the country, and also in the city. So that challenge is there for the owners, the board, the manager and the club in general to be where we want to be. And, to be honest, we have got a challenge on our hands to get there.”

Mourinho wants to sign a central defender in January, with Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar and Toby Alderweireld, of Tottenham, among the options, and he is believed to be willing to offload Bailly, in addition to Rojo, if it boosts his prospects of doing so after a summer in which his centre half targets were vetoed.

United have kept one clean sheet in 12 league games and only the bottom three and Burnley have conceded more than the 21 goals the Manchester club have shipped.

Whether United would sanction the sale of Bailly - who was Mourinho’s first signing in 2016 and is only 24 - is unclear. Mourinho’s wish to sell Anthony Martial in the summer was rejected and the Frenchman has since returned to form and favour under the manager.

But Bailly’s fortunes under Mourinho have plummeted since the end of last season and he is now struggling to even make United’s 18-man squad for matches and concerned he has lost the manager’s trust. The Ivory Coast defender was left out against City and he has not featured since being taken off after just 19 minutes of the 3-2 win against Newcastle at the start of last month.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Having been someone I had not heard mentioned as a possible target for anyone in the premier league as we usually do nowadays, I was really impressed with his initial displays for United.

Truth be told, I was a little bit envious at the time, as his acquisition used to be the type that was once Wenger's stock in trade, and made worse by the fact that every dominant performance reminded me of Kolo Toure circa 2005/6.

So yes, I would be inclined to pursue the probability of getting him, but not to the tune that Mourinho usually plays when off loading younger players having bought cheap, sold extortionately high e.g Lukaku, Salah, de Bruyner.

Nothing to do with not wanting to recognise Mourinho's entrepreneurism, just that at this moment in time we are not in dire straits regards central defenders.

Holding is starting to prove that not everything was broken under Wenger's stewardship, whilst the wailing and gnashing of teeth regards our pursuit of the decrepit crock Sokratis seems to have fallen silent.

More importantly though, our best centre half is Mavropanos who is yet to play this season. The thought of papa, rob & mav as a trio is enough to make me think we could master 3@the back to the extent of it being a strength of the team in the same way lacca & auba as a pair is often considered.

Mustafi has all the tools bar blistering pace to be a great defender, but his rash tackling and inability to sense danger at times, puts me in mind of a kid nearing a busy main road who has not been taught the green cross code. If that thought made you wince, close your eyes, have a sharp intake of breath or turn your head slightly, then not only do you get what I mean, but you've watched him play for 90 minutes, not just on MOTD.

If Koschielny is able to get back to full fitness then he could be a sight to behold, given that his apparent loss of pace was not being rightfully attributed to playing on with his Achilles problem for 18 months, along with the renewed impetus he is likely to have following his spat with Deschamps giving him a bit of a point to prove.

So yes I would take Bailly, but only on the basis that one (mussy) or both those last two defenders above were being moved on to accommodate him, and if anything it could be viewed as securing a long term successor to Papa. Bailly, Mavropanos and Holding as a 3 could be pretty impressive indeed.

Mind you, I do remember being mocked (not on this site, teamtalk) for suggesting that we look at VvD halfway through his first season in Scotland because even Squilachi could've looked good playing for Celtic apparently, and got similarly shouted down for daring to suggest that Laporte might be better suited for us as opposed to his defensive partner Godin.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Arsenal and Tottenham are both interested in Manchester United's 24-year-old Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly, 24. (Daily Record)
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm

He's utd's best defender. Sign him!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dynamite » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Arsenal have identified Manchester United's Eric Bailly and Chelsea veteran Gary Cahill as potential January replacements for Rob Holding, sources have told ESPN FC, following the defender's cruciate ligament injury.

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3725982/arsenal-target-manchester-uniteds-eric-bailly-chelseas-gary-cahill-in-january-sources
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Losmeister » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:05 pm

hmm... i cant recall having an opinion or feeling on bailly...

cahill... i have visions of sanchez undressing him and waltzing in on goal.

i dunno... we'll see i guess...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Interest: waning » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Sims wrote:ye

arsenal have no chance of getting someone like de ligt
ye or yeah?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Sims » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Dunno that was about 3 months ago
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby haklenda » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:45 pm

It's not good enough, we need a proven solution.
haklenda
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:26 am

Apparently had a loan bid rejected.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Arsenal are interested in signing Manchester United and Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly, 25. (Mail)
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Would be great for us. Calm experienced head who will help organise the defense looool
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Better than mustafi
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Utd won't sell. OGS will probably play him next year and use Smalling/Jones less.

They are trying to get rid of a minimum of 6 players, and Bailly isn't in that conversation at all.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill