Transfer deadline day 2018

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Deadline day August 9th 2018

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 am

Leno is a bargain when you look at the sums Goal keepers are moving for this summer. I think he will turn out to be an excellent signing for us.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

Tony_Adams wrote:Needed a cb, bought a cb, needed a gk, bought a gk, needed a dm, bought a dm. Don't see how anyone can be unhappy with this window.
With that logic you can buy a cb, gk, dm from the sunday amateur league and still be happy.

Its about the quality that has come in. Concerned about leno and the cb we bought

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 am

Dejan wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Needed a cb, bought a cb, needed a gk, bought a gk, needed a dm, bought a dm. Don't see how anyone can be unhappy with this window.
With that logic you can buy a cb, gk, dm from the sunday amateur league and still be happy.

Its about the quality that has come in. Concerned about leno and the cb we bought

You’re right to be concerned about Papa. Too old and slow. A downgrade on Mustafi. Didn’t think that was possible.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 am

Dejan wrote:

But the bundesliga isn't a sunday pub team league. We're not talking about unproven players, these are players who needed a move to prove themselves. Lets see what emery can do with them before writing them off. They're probably watching videos of themselves and how to improve as we type if what i have read about emery is anything to go by!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

BexleyGooner wrote:

Agreed, and we even got a couple,of nice bonuses in solid RB cover for Bellerin (better crosser tbh) and a great midfield prospect. In terms of ranking how happy I am with the signings, I’d go.

1. Torreira
2. Ghendouzi
3. Leno
4. Leichsteiner
5. Papa

I know there are concerns with that list for some but I'm genuinely optimistic they can do well for us within our system as oppose to just individuals.

I think the biggest factor will be if emerys pressing/counter pressing system and formation change in defence can be properly adopted and successfully done, it will be a bigger asset than any one player we've bought.

It takes time to properly organise. Chelsea got battered by us the season conte joined and the game after that is when his system finally clicked for them and they progressed to win a title.

Not saying that's going to happen straight away but if we can start properly playing as a single unit, we can start shutting out teams. We've always been able to score so results will be positive eventually.

Of course there will be guys that take the headlines, but more than top individuals, we need a system that everyone buys into.

Klopp at Liverpool is now baring fruit
Pep at city
Pottchetino at spurs

They all have distinctive styles that actually rely on the whole team rather than just individuals, although the top players of course add the gloss.

They're not all reliant on single bits of magic like we were with Sanchez.

Have patience.
Have belief.
Support our players and don't start booing as soon as we hit bumps

And we will get better than we have been imo.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 am

Mustafi wrote:

Agreed. But the quality of some of the signings is yet to be seen. Specially worried about Papa and Leno.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am

The only real worries we have in our signings are Leno and Sokratis. Personally, I'm not of the opinion that we needed a winger, so I think we've plugged all of our holes (although I'm not happy with us selling Lucas, but whatever)

In terms of quality, it's obvious that both Leno and Papa were the cheap options and a result of our budget. With Leno he might not be the best signing but as a keeper in the premier league if he can command his box in aerial plays then he's already halfway there, so that remains to be seen. I don't think this will be a big issue if it doesn't pan out.

With Papa it's obvious that Sven has gone for a 'safe' option rather than gambling the same amount of money on a younger player who wouldn't have been very impressive since they would only cost about 17m. Personally, I don't know how this will work out but I'm not going to judge Sven on this. I'm much more interested to see how Mavropanos turns out. That signing was clearly a 'I rate this kid, I want one of my first signings to be him' so I'm hoping that his insight there can make up for our budget forcing us to sign Sokratis.

At the same time with a good defensive system none of this would matter, so maybe Emery will make all of this irrelevant anyway.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenalthebest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 am

Pudpop wrote:The only real worries we have in our signings are Leno and Sokratis. Personally, I'm not of the opinion that we needed a winger, so I think we've plugged all of our holes (although I'm not happy with us selling Lucas, but whatever)

In terms of quality, it's obvious that both Leno and Papa were the cheap options and a result of our budget. With Leno he might not be the best signing but as a keeper in the premier league if he can command his box in aerial plays then he's already halfway there, so that remains to be seen. I don't think this will be a big issue if it doesn't pan out.

With Papa it's obvious that Sven has gone for a 'safe' option rather than gambling the same amount of money on a younger player who wouldn't have been very impressive since they would only cost about 17m. Personally, I don't know how this will work out but I'm not going to judge Sven on this. I'm much more interested to see how Mavropanos turns out. That signing was clearly a 'I rate this kid, I want one of my first signings to be him' so I'm hoping that his insight there can make up for our budget forcing us to sign Sokratis.

At the same time with a good defensive system none of this would matter, so maybe Emery will make all of this irrelevant anyway.

Isn't that Reiss Nelson a winger?

Not seen much of him, but he seems to be getting high praise.
Arsenalthebest

Postby Santi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am

My main thing with Papa is that the likes of Soyuncu were the same price and could have a much higher ceiling. If we weren't going to get quality experience then a future star is better than a cheap old guy imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am

Santi wrote:My main thing with Papa is that the likes of Soyuncu were the same price and could have a much higher ceiling. If we weren't going to get quality experience then a future star is better than a cheap old guy imo.
Yeah but if we went into the season with 3 young CBs and Mustafi people would be saying that an experienced CB was necessary.

At the end if the day we had 3 up and coming CBs and we lost our 2 most experienced CBs, so I think they made the right call.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:00 am

Pudpop wrote:
Santi wrote:My main thing with Papa is that the likes of Soyuncu were the same price and could have a much higher ceiling. If we weren't going to get quality experience then a future star is better than a cheap old guy imo.
Yeah but if we went into the season with 3 young CBs and Mustafi people would be saying that an experienced CB was necessary.

At the end if the day we had 3 up and coming CBs and we lost our 2 most experienced CBs, so I think they made the right call.

Agree with the first bit but not sure how valuable Papa's experience will be, not something you can really put a value on. Depends if we get to the deep stages of the cups/PL race tbh, then you'd much rather have him.

One of those where neither is particularly better than the other, I'd just have the younger guy as it means we hopefully wouldn't have to look again in a year or two.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am

We have mavro, holding and chambers for a few years time. Hopefully one of those will come good, we needed a stop gap, not another player for three years time!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby island_gunner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Manoban » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am

Tony_Adams wrote:We have mavro, holding and chambers for a few years time. Hopefully one of those will come good, we needed a stop gap, not another player for three years time!

Not if the stop gap is worse than a young player we just loaned out
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

After a promising start i feel we could have got one solid CB in his prime to complete the task of plugging the holes and start the rebuilding on a good note. Chambers is on only a year long loan and will be back, Holding will get better with time, same with Mavropanos. So we needed someone who can bear the torch now.

There were options for a decent defender if we were vigilant. Beyond the big names and the hottest properties there are still decent players, to identify those is scouts' job. I think we had the opportunity to do the deal within what looks like our ceiling price of £30m but sadly it doesn't look like it.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill