Björn Engels

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Björn Engels

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Have you watched Mustafi play?

How would you compare him to Mustafi?

Preference?

I like Mustafi (he is experienced and can fill and fit in right away) but this kid looks really promising and that height is nice.

BTW, this was on ESPN on July 21, 2016 (so less than 10 days ago).

"While Club Brugge central defender Bjorn Engels signed a new contract last week. He's a player in the style of Everton's John Stones who has been heavily scouted by Premier League clubs, but ESPN FC sources close to the 21-year-old suggest that despite interest, Arsenal failed to agree to a fee with Brugge."

So did we just make a second bid?
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yago » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:17 pm

The only times I saw Mustafi play were as a part of the German NT, so I'm afraid I can't really compare them.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Makes zero sense we would be after a young CB when we have 3 already. Wenger was very specific what he wanted. He said we lost experience and need an experienced CB
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Ok based on what I have found so far, the previous bid failed. We have renewed our interest and either have gone with or will go with a second bid. The new bid is what is being talked about in Belgium atm.

The source for this link is someone close to the player's club.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Mike Dean wrote:Ok based on what I have found so far, the previous bid failed. We have renewed our interest and either have gone with or will go with a second bid. The new bid is what is being talked about in Belgium atm.

Tbh whenever a deal is close to happening, it usually gets leaked through the press and it'll be not long before most reliable papers/sources start reporting it. In Belgium when it comes to football transfers people don't seem to hold the essence of discretion in a high regard. So far nothing of that sort has happened regarding Engels, but if it does it won't be long before the more reliable English newspapers start picking it up as well.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jules_w » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 pm

If we're going to get a defender from the belgian league we should have gone for Kabasele. But since he's gone to Watford our second best option is Engels.
Last edited by jules_w on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jules_w » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Zenith wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:Ok based on what I have found so far, the previous bid failed. We have renewed our interest and either have gone with or will go with a second bid. The new bid is what is being talked about in Belgium atm.

Tbh whenever a deal is close to happening, it usually gets leaked through the press and it'll be not long before most reliable papers/sources start reporting it. In Belgium when it comes to football transfers people don't seem to hold the essence of discretion in a high regard. So far nothing of that sort has happened regarding Engels, but if it does it won't be long before the more reliable English newspapers start picking it up as well.

Mostly reported first in foreign newspapers though. Belgian journalism is of the worst kind on this planet.
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm

sounds promising, but with Chambers, Holding and Bielik all being for the future, i'm not so sure, how he would fit in with us
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby jules_w » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

He'd be a first team player right away where the other 3 are competing with each other to be one
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:52 pm

jules_w wrote:He'd be a first team player right away where the other 3 are competing with each other to be one

so no "experienced" CB coming in? if it's the choice between Engels and someone more proven like Mustafi, i'd go for Mustafi
ESR10

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:01 pm

jules_w wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Mostly reported first in foreign newspapers though. Belgian journalism is of the worst kind on this planet.

Nah, once Sporza or De Morgen report it, it's usually on point.

If you're referring to HLN and Het Nieuwsblad these papers are nothing compared to The Sun, Daily Star or Daily Mail when it comes to sensationalism and lack of credibility.

There isn't even a genuine tabloid newspaper in Belgium whereas England, Germany, Spain, etc have several.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jules_w » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:10 pm

arsenal_for_ever wrote:
jules_w wrote:He'd be a first team player right away where the other 3 are competing with each other to be one

so no "experienced" CB coming in? if it's the choice between Engels and someone more proven like Mustafi, i'd go for Mustafi

How is Mustafi proven?
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jules_w » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Zenith wrote:
jules_w wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Nah, once Sporza or De Morgen report it, it's usually on point.

If you're referring to HLN and Het Nieuwsblad these papers are nothing compared to The Sun, Daily Star or Daily Mail when it comes to sensationalism and lack of credibility.

There isn't even a genuine tabloid newspaper in Belgium whereas England, Germany, Spain, etc have several.

Sporza reported Pogba being done 2 weeks ago. De morgen is pretty decent yeah but their sports section isn't that big. Hahah yeah HLN is a rich man's "tv familie" of "story" imo
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 pm

jules_w wrote:
arsenal_for_ever wrote:

How is Mustafi proven?

world cup winner with Germany, two very good seasons in Italy and Spain
ESR10

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 pm

:grin:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator