Kieran Tierney (on loan - Real Sociedad)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Kieran Tierney

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 am

VCC wrote:A half fit Tierney is still better than most of what is there currently

Who was the last Scottish league player to make an impact after moving to the PL? Tierney will be playing against men, not boys.

We need better than Monreal and Kolasinac but you're in for a bad time if you think KT will magically outplay them because he looks good against trash like Hearts and Motherwell.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:24 am

aniym wrote:Who was the last Scottish league player to make an impact after moving to the PL?

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:27 am

Zenith wrote:
aniym wrote:Who was the last Scottish league player to make an impact after moving to the PL?

Nobody gave a shit about VVD when he signed for Soton. He was 100% Soton material until he built up his game with PL experience.

C'mon man, you know this as well as I do.
Last edited by Highbury Hillbilly on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 am

What are you on about?

VVD made an impact in the Premier League for Southampton, hence he ended up sealing a transfer to Liverpool. :dontknow:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 am

I see you edited your post to something completely different. :lol:

Your original post -
aniym wrote:Virgil Van Dijk

2015-2018 - Southampton FC
2018 - PResent Liverpool FC

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:33 am

^^ I'm fine with Tierney getting proper experience at a PL club for 2.5 years before he comes here. Tierney will have a whole different set of expectations heaped on him at Arsenal than at a club like Soton.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:37 am

Except he was actively linked with several top clubs.

Several people on here (Callum comes to mind) wish-listed VVD before he even transferred to Southampton.

It's not because you, or the average football fan at the time didn't care about VVD, that he wasn't making a name for himself among those who did watch him play on a regular basis.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 am

Zenith wrote:I see you edited your post to something completely different. :lol:

Your original post -
aniym wrote:Virgil Van Dijk

2015-2018 - Southampton FC
2018 - PResent Liverpool FC

I did edit it, because your original post claimed Tierney would be better than Kola/Monreal. After a couple of years of SPL football at that.

VVD had 2.5 years of experience against the likes of Hazard, Alexis, Sterling, etc....before Liverpool took the plunge. Tierney won't have that, and pushing him into the deep end on Day 1 will only hurt us and his morale.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:40 am

I never even mentioned Kolasinac and Monreal. Now you're just making stuff up.

You asked the last player to move from the SPL to EPL and I mentioned VVD.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:43 am

Zenith wrote:I never even mentioned Kolasinac and Monreal. Now you're just making stuff up.

Apologies, I was referring to this

VCC wrote:A half fit Tierney is still better than most of what is there currently

Didn't realize it was a different person who replied.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:44 am

aniym wrote:

Who was the last Scottish league player to make an impact after moving to the PL? Tierney will be playing against men, not boys.

We need better than Monreal and Kolasinac but you're in for a bad time if you think KT will magically outplay them because he looks good against trash like Hearts and Motherwell.

Don't need to have that discussion Zeneth had it for me, does not matter where they come from its what they do when they arrive that counts, Davis,Adams ,Thomas,rocky its the desire that gets you there
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 am

aniym wrote:
Zenith wrote:I never even mentioned Kolasinac and Monreal. Now you're just making stuff up.

Apologies, I was referring to this

Didn't realize it was a different person who replied.

:Peace:

I do agree the SPL is a heavily inferior league and the possibility that a player might struggle to make an instant impact is a factor that always should be taken into consideration.

Tierney, however, has put in several fantastic performances against the big boys in the CL—Bayern comes to mind.

Still, whilst the signs are encouraging, whether or not he would be hit in more unforgiving territory—that is the Premier League—very much remains to be seen.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tubbs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 am

Promising lad, 25 mil will see the deal done surely...
Only prob is he might be struggling for a while to get game time with his injury and fitness so we won’t see him for a while.
Maybe with the likes of KT and Saliba we’re looking more in a years time and keep what we’ve got this season.
Seems that way to me.
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Jase89 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:42 am

aniym wrote:

He's undoubtedly been Celtic best player in European games. He's fast down the wing, great eye for a pass, is defensively sound and can put in a great cross.

Maybe it's just because we're used to being a bit pessimistic as arsenal fans, but come on, this would be a great deal. Less of the negativity
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 am

25m for a player who could be worth easily 50m with a decent season in the EPL ... nothing wrong with that transfer thinking. We could do with three or four of these signings every year. Worse case in today's market in a year we sell and get our money back

Is he good enough? Well that's the gamble, in his first year at Southampton VVD was good but not that great, he took 18 months to find his EPL feet ... and nearly three years to become the player he is now .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk