Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:48 am

NovaGB wrote:Hes got some class about him I mean you can tell hes a Brazilian, but i really wouldn't care if this one collapses, I don't think he'd offer us any different than if we played ESR or Gabi there, he is essentially a winger and not a number 9, i think it will be more of the same as what we have had this season with Lacazette, he'll get about 5 goals and the wingers will score the rest.

I want a target man up top, a bigger striker like Abraham or Osimhen or even Toney that can be a aerial threat and still do the back to goal bollocks.

Does he want to play as a 9? From the comments I've seen, he has said he prefers being a winger and that's what he's used to.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:51 am

Well he was a CF at Palmeiras, only really city that used him wide.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:59 am

Santi wrote:Well he was a CF at Palmeiras, only really city that used him wide.

He said he started off as a winger at Palmeiras and sees himself as a winger.

https://www.si.com/soccer/manchestercity/news/i-had-a-conversation-with-pep-guardiola-gabriel-jesus-provides-insight-into-manchester-city-position-change
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:56 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

https://www.si.com/soccer/manchestercity/news/i-had-a-conversation-with-pep-guardiola-gabriel-jesus-provides-insight-into-manchester-city-position-change

:rofll:

That's Arteta for you, putting LWF's as a lone box CF and wondering why its all going wrong.

Again, nothing you can't fix by switching to 3 up front but I'm going to assume after a season and a half, we're sticking with 4-2-3-1.

........ unless he is going to play Jesus LW and Nketiah up front?

Who know's what Mikel is doing?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

That's Arteta for you, putting LWF's as a lone box CF and wondering why its all going wrong.

Again, nothing you can't fix by switching to 3 up front but I'm going to assume after a season and a half, we're sticking with 4-2-3-1.

He himself sure as hell doesn't.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Weird he sees it that way because unless my eyes were deceiving me while watching them at 3/4am in the morning repeatedly...he was largely through the middle. Maybe he's talking about the youth teams but then it was Palmeiras that made the CF transition in the first place and that's not uncommon for a young player.

One of the few players I've actually noticed and wanted before he made the big European jump so not just assuming based on highlights/stats either. Used to bet on Brazilian football a lot hence ended up watching him.

Anyway, I don't mind if we want to use him as both as CF and WF but then we need to be signing a pure CF on top of this deal.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:29 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

How's that Arteta for you? Palmeiras played him up front in the same 4-2-3-1, as have City. Why has this got to become yet another Arteta thing...?

If anything I think we are targeting him because of his versatility that has been shown at City and I guess recently for Brazil (not watched just heard).
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 pm

Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Weird he sees it that way because unless my eyes were deceiving me while watching them at 3/4am in the morning repeatedly...he was largely through the middle. Maybe he's talking about the youth teams but then it was Palmeiras that made the CF transition in the first place and that's not uncommon for a young player.

One of the few players I've actually noticed and wanted before he made the big European jump so not just assuming based on highlights/stats either. Used to bet on Brazilian football a lot hence ended up watching him.

Anyway, I don't mind if we want to use him as both as CF and WF but then we need to be signing a pure CF on top of this deal.

He's talking about his debut season. He moved to the middle after. Maybe he's talking it up more to align with Pep's ideas, but I only stumbled upon this whilst searching for players talking about their preferred position.

I always assumed Gabriel wanted to play through the middle but was having to share roles.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Yeah I thought the latter too since he's been at City, felt like he was taking what minutes he was offered in a stacked team and I don't blame him for that.

If he actually prefers being a winger then I'm less convinced about the signing, happy to use him there on occasion and provide a different option but wouldn't want to see him there every week.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:29 pm

We're rumoured to be offering £190k pw 5yr deal
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hypergooner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:09 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:We're rumoured to be offering £190k pw 5yr deal

He's a quality player. Not the ideal striker for our needs, but he is top 4 quality. Just pay him, get him in and find a lump of a plan B striker to back him up!
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:04 pm

Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

How's that Arteta for you? Palmeiras played him up front in the same 4-2-3-1, as have City. Why has this got to become yet another Arteta thing...?

If anything I think we are targeting him because of his versatility that has been shown at City and I guess recently for Brazil (not watched just heard).

Its "Arteta" to make the same mistake he made with Auba ......... but expect a different result.

Sorry but I kept relatively quiet about an abundance of mistakes I could see being made and I was relatively quiet because of the hope of top 4, but now I'm going to call it out because we can't have a repeat, remember the consensus from ALL fans this season is top 4 and to do that we can't be having a season derailing issue like putting a WF to play as a box CF.

Again, the way we have been playing our CF as a lone target box role is not suited to Jesus who practically plays an almost identical position that Auba was suited to LWF/LF.

He is not the statured physical, goal hanging type.

I just don't want us to make the exact same mistake as last year, if we play him as a WF or a ST in a front 3 then I have no problem, but if we stick up front in the isolated CF box role its got disaster written all over it ......... may as well put Eddie up front.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 am

Santi wrote:Yeah I thought the latter too since he's been at City, felt like he was taking what minutes he was offered in a stacked team and I don't blame him for that.

If he actually prefers being a winger then I'm less convinced about the signing, happy to use him there on occasion and provide a different option but wouldn't want to see him there every week.

Yeah, I think there would have to a conversation about where he really wants to play but if he's speaking with other clubs, I'm sure that will naturally come up on the agenda.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Its "Arteta" to make the same mistake he made with Auba ......... but expect a different result.

Sorry but I kept relatively quiet about an abundance of mistakes I could see being made and I was relatively quiet because of the hope of top 4, but now I'm going to call it out because we can't have a repeat, remember the consensus from ALL fans this season is top 4 and to do that we can't be having a season derailing issue like putting a WF to play as a box CF.

Again, the way we have been playing our CF as a lone target box role is not suited to Jesus who practically plays an almost identical position that Auba was suited to LWF/LF.

He is not the statured physical, goal hanging type.

I just don't want us to make the exact same mistake as last year, if we play him as a WF or a ST in a front 3 then I have no problem, but if we stick up front in the isolated CF box role its got disaster written all over it ......... may as well put Eddie up front.

That's not really accurate. When we bought Auba he was playing through the middle and that's his natural position. Also, Auba has stated his preference for playing through the middle but has been willing to play out wide for the team. He's gone to Barcelona and they play him through the middle.

Can't really have it both ways and especially when linking this back to the AMN situation. You're argument for AMN has been that he messed up because he should have played outside of his natural position and just trust Arteta to develop him as a full back despite having a preference. AMN only stated his preferred position but confirmed he'd play anywhere for Arsenal. No different to what Gabriel Jesus and plenty of others have done.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:08 pm

Another Willian incoming.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk