Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby alexafc12 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:12 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Not sure what relevance the Haaland price has. He has a buy out clause in his contract ...

€50m for Jesus seems excessive. What other club is going to / can pay that amount for him ?

We should be strong here. £30m is a decent price. Otherwise move onto new targets.

For as rich as City are are they really going to let a backup player run down their contract. Although I guess if FFP doesn't apply to them it doesn't matter much

The problem is finding someone else comparable for £30m that has a better record. I don't think there are any cheap Premier League options and looking outside the Prem, we'll need someone that can adapt quickly.

True.

I just feel though when a club is looking to get rid of a player and at the same time that player has 1 year left on his deal, and, isn't going to be on the radar of most top top clubs ... Then they can't demand a premium.

What clubs can afford 50m, would guarantee him a starting spot / European football and would be in for him ?

His agent said 6 big clubs but that could just be engineering him a move.

Chelsea - no
Bayern - Lewa replacement ?
Juve - no
Barca - no
Madrid - no
Inter - no
Dortmund - no
Atlético - no
PSG - Mbappe replacement ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:14 pm

Maybe Newcastle could tempt him ... ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Sat May 14, 2022 7:21 pm

I was stoked seeing us heavily linked with him because I thought he was really really good ( I barely watch football nowadays)

...then I looked up his statistics
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 14, 2022 8:36 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Not sure what relevance the Haaland price has. He has a buy out clause in his contract ...

€50m for Jesus seems excessive. What other club is going to / can pay that amount for him ?

We should be strong here. £30m is a decent price. Otherwise move onto new targets.

For as rich as City are are they really going to let a backup player run down their contract. Although I guess if FFP doesn't apply to them it doesn't matter much

The problem is finding someone else comparable for £30m that has a better record. I don't think there are any cheap Premier League options and looking outside the Prem, we'll need someone that can adapt quickly.

True.

I just feel though when a club is looking to get rid of a player and at the same time that player has 1 year left on his deal, and, isn't going to be on the radar of most top top clubs ... Then they can't demand a premium.

What clubs can afford 50m, would guarantee him a starting spot / European football and would be in for him ?

His agent said 6 big clubs but that could just be engineering him a move.

Chelsea - no
Bayern - Lewa replacement ?
Juve - no
Barca - no
Madrid - no
Inter - no
Dortmund - no
Atlético - no
PSG - Mbappe replacement ?

I'm not really worried about the fee. £50m is cheap in today's market and it's rare to find a striker that can tick all the boxes we need. Pace, technical, can drop deep, can press with aggression, can pass....we're asking for a lot and the strikers of today are limited. We'd either have to unearth a complete gem nobody knows about or try to convert a winger into a striker, which is sort of what Jesus is. We don't really know his full potential when played for a full season as a striker.

If he's Arteta's first choice, we should make him a priority. Leave no excuses or room for error. Get him the players he wants and see if that unlocks our attack.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sat May 14, 2022 9:21 pm

Lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby FrustratedGooner » Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 am

I would not mind him as a backup striker to someone else.

Ideally we get 2 strikers someone who does not have prem experience and Jesus for example that does.

That would allow the other striker to bed into the prem and no immense pressure from the off whilst Jesus for example in theory be able to play first choice temporarily. Obviously 50-60 million on Jesus is excessive and does not really fit into the above scenario.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 10:26 am

For the money being talked about would prefer someone like Martinez of Inter, this is just too much for Jesus a player who hasn’t been that great at City.

Nunez would be a good option if more expensive.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby EliteKiller » Sun May 15, 2022 11:00 am

The issue with Jesus, and presumably why Pep will let him go to another EPL club, is his conversion rate. He has a conversion rate of 14.21% this season, that compares to Sterling 23% ..... Liverpool's front two Firmino 21% Orig 30% .... Kane is at 13% (but playing deeper) ... Vardy 26%

Midfield/Strikers Son 27%, Salah 17%

So playing for the team that creates the most big scoring chances in the EPL his conversion rate is not great, will he thrive at a club which creates far less scoring chances?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 12:17 pm

Doesn’t change the conversion rate, that’s about getting a chance and putting it away.

I don’t think anyone has been overly impressed by him since he’s been at City, when they had Aguero he was fine as a bit part backup, but as a first teamer he’s not up to scratch.

If you can’t score a hatful of goals as a forward playing for City there’s an issue, even Mahrez who isn’t an out and out forward has scored 23 goals or so.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm

Hopefully he won’t be with us if common sense prevails.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Sun May 15, 2022 3:03 pm

He’s not a bad player and frankly we can’t get better than him. I’d take him happily. Nketiah as back up.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Sun May 15, 2022 3:26 pm

swipe right wrote:He’s not a bad player and frankly we can’t get better than him. I’d take him happily. Nketiah as back up.

At 40-50 million with one year left it’s a ripoff.

He’s worth 25-30 million tops.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Sterling is the superior player, misses and all. There's a reason we are in pole position for Jesus' signature, he isn't rated by other clubs at this price.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sun May 15, 2022 9:23 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
swipe right wrote:He’s not a bad player and frankly we can’t get better than him. I’d take him happily. Nketiah as back up.

At 40-50 million with one year left it’s a ripoff.

He’s worth 25-30 million tops.

We sold Ox for 40 mil some eight years back.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Mon May 16, 2022 3:05 am

Salibatelli wrote:Better, yes of course he is, but is he worth 50 million, no chance.

Also how are you suppose to close the gap on teams above if you buy vastly inferior players, which Jesus clearly is, his goal record for a City team that create a shedload of chances isn’t particularly good.

As for Kane and Haaland, City only go for the best, the point is since they lost Aguero they’ve been looking for a quality replacement, clearly Jesus isn’t that and never has been.

Plus we need someone better than 15-20 goals, think we need someone like Aubameyang who can score more than that.
We overpay for players like Pepe and White so buying City reject Gabriel Jesus us business as usual.

I like Haaland but i dont rate him on the same level as Mbappe. He has everything you need to be a world class striker like Kane but dosen't have the magic level technique like Mbappe has to svore from anywhere vs anyone. His team has to be playung well for him to dominate.

Norway would be in the World Cup and a force if he was really that good.

Haaland really is a more tidy younger version of Lukaku. The ball dosent bounce off him like Lukaku who has no technique, but it dont stuck to him like Mbappe or Lewandowski.

Haaland is better than Werner but be warned. Werner has flopped in the Premier League because unlike in Germany you dont get so much space to do what you want like you do in Germany.

I think if Haaland is humble and paitent he can be a succeds at City but he will find it hard at first if he adapts he can be a force.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk