Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:22 am

Jesus has publicly said he wants to play as the main striker - surely that's the plan or why sign for us?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:39 am

I’ve not seen any public statements from him that he wants to play as the main striker, only comments from someone who spoke the the Brazil manager who had asked Jesus where he really wanted to play, to which he answered on the wing.

Usually players who score a lot of goals just want to be playing in the best place to score goals and have that streak which makes them want to score goals at all costs, Jesus doesn’t appear to have this which makes me think that although he’ll score goals he probably won’t be prolific.

But yes you’d expect the plan is for him to play as our main striker, but we’ll have to see how that works out as he has admitted he’s better as a winger.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Reiss » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:53 am

Salibatelli wrote:I’ve not seen any public statements from him that he wants to play as the main striker, only comments from someone who spoke the the Brazil manager who had asked Jesus where he really wanted to play, to which he answered on the wing.

Usually players who score a lot of goals just want to be playing in the best place to score goals and have that streak which makes them want to score goals at all costs, Jesus doesn’t appear to have this which makes me think that although he’ll score goals he probably won’t be prolific.

But yes you’d expect the plan is for him to play as our main striker, but we’ll have to see how that works out as he has admitted he’s better as a winger.

Seeing as he's the second most prolific striker in PL history, plus he scores 1 goal in every 2 games when he starts, there's a good chance he will be.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 am

Can we hold off and see how he fits in before planting our flags?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:59 am

Love how his actual goal stat is barely used
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 am

Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:I’ve not seen any public statements from him that he wants to play as the main striker, only comments from someone who spoke the the Brazil manager who had asked Jesus where he really wanted to play, to which he answered on the wing.

Seeing as he's the second most prolific striker in PL history, plus he scores 1 goal in every 2 games when he starts, there's a good chance he will be.

I think we’ve already debunked that myth.

Non penalty goals + assists isn’t a measure of how prolific a player is in front of goal.

I think it’s the first time that state has ever been handed about to try and show someone is a prolific scorer.

Moreover if he was prolific Guardiola wouldn’t have been looking for a forward since last summer, he would have instead entrusted Jesus like he did Aguero before him.

Moreover people wouldn’t have been saying City badly need a striker to put their chances away last season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:17 am

You lot have beaten this horse to death. Literally every thread filled with the same back and forth ...
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby 22-0 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:20 am

alexafc12 wrote:You lot have beaten this horse to death. Literally every thread filled with the same back and forth ...

yet that horse keeps coming back for more.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am

Longest medical ever is finally over

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/gabriel ... f1e207ad78

Number 9 it is
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby FrustratedGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am

Not the medical it’s the shitty PR videos. Probably giving him acting lessons.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:43 pm

Good news, hes been seen at Ashburton in kit.

The bad news, they gave him the cursed number 9 shirt.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:58 pm

Yep just came to post, he's our centre striker.

My only hope now is that Arteta changes the formation from 4-2-3-1 to something like 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 so Jesus isn't up front isolated as the last man.

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/154 ... gr%5Etweet
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm

Ach wrote:Love how his actual goal stat is barely used

Because it's a terrible deal if you look at it that way. When we signed Laca for £45m, he was coming off a 37-goal season for Lyon. Just a couple of years ago, City also sold Leroy Sane for that amount, and he was a far better player.

Jesus is in a team that regularly scores 100 league goals, and he's their least impactful player by some distance.

That's why the club PR is going overboard with the 'hard worker' -- 'Brazil NT' -- 'ideal player for Arteta's no-nonsense style' angle.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby NovaGB » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Ach wrote:Love how his actual goal stat is barely used

Because it's a terrible deal if you look at it that way. When we signed Laca for £45m, he was coming off a 37-goal season for Lyon. Just a couple of years ago, City also sold Leroy Sane for that amount, and he was a far better player.

Jesus is in a team that regularly scores 100 league goals, and he's their least impactful player by some distance.

That's why the club PR is going overboard with the 'hard worker' -- 'Brazil NT' -- 'ideal player for Arteta's no-nonsense style' angle.

How often has Jesus played up top though? its pretty rare tbh.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I have a feeling he will start wide with Nketiah playing as main striker.

I seriously doubt it, especially for the first half of the season.

Mainly because if that is the case ......... we literally have one CF at the club for all competitions.

No, I think Jesus has been signed to play centrally, unless we buy someone else that points to otherwise.

Hopefully, that's the case but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an attempt to accommodate Nketiah. Balogun is still on the books to play a back up role.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk