Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Apparently Edu was just flinging money around though. Porto couldn't believe their luck.

Club: Marqinhos is free in 4 weeks.
Edu: I will give you £3m !

Club: Our asking price is £20m for Viera. We won't consider anything less.
Edu: £30m !

Incorrect man, Vieira's release clause was close to €50m. Just mentioned in another thread that two former presidential candidates have slammed the decision to sell him for such a low price.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Reiss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 am

Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:He literally is.

But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

What do those figures even mean, non penalty goals + assists?

Prolific in goalscoring terms refers to the amount of goals you score compared to games played.

Salah has 118 goals in 180 PL games, Suarez had 69 goals in 110 games (playing in a much less creative team to the one Jesus plays in) and somehow they’re both below a guy with 58 in 159 games.

Even Van Persie who wasn’t an out and out goalscorer and was injury prone almost his whole career has better goalscoring stats.

That stat you posted is meaningless.

So you don't even know what it means but you decide to instantly dismiss it? And you expect me to take you seriously?

I dismiss it because I’ve shown you the stat of goals scored and number of games of the players in that list and they are all better than Jesus.

That already proves that stat is meaningless, it’s a stat aimed at making him look better than he is.

I don’t think anyone has ever used a stat called non penalty goals + assists as a way of proving someone is prolific, mainly because that’s just an odd metric.

It shows how prolific he is in terms of pure goals. Not like strikers that stat pad with penalties.

Can't wait to see him at the carpet.

Penalties count as goals as well though.

Also it isn’t as it oddly includes assists which makes no sense.

Scoring goals from penalties is a lesser achievement than scoring goals from open play. To score a goal from open play requires a lot more.

Goals and assists are very similar in their nature.

Yes and no, it tends to be harder to score from open play, except when it’s tapins of course which are harder to not score. Penalties come with a lot more pressure and time to think however which is why a lot of players miss them, ask England.

I’ve never heard anyone using the assist matrix when trying to show how prolific a player is goal wise.

It’s either being a prolific assister, or prolific goalscorer, though people tend to think of the latter when referring to how prolific someone is.

Well thankfully Jesus is both. As proven by the stat.

:thumbsup:

He’s not prolific, that’s proven, 58 goals in 159 games is not prolific by any stretch.

2nd most prolific striker in PL history :hail:

If you use the weirdest stat anyone could ever use perhaps. If you use proper stats, nowhere near.

Personally I prefer to look at number of goals vs number of games, that makes perfect sense.

Weird stat because it puts a big dollop of egg on your face lol

Not weird stat because it’s weird.

Since when do people quote a non penalty + assist stat.

That’s just very odd.

One suggestion for you, if you’re going to use stats use ones that make sense.

I think everyone knows Jesus isn’t prolific, 58 goals in 159 games is testament to that.

In fact we now know that after failing to score for Brazil in a World Cup, he’s now fearful of playing CF, what a great trait.

It's a great stat and people have agreed with me.

Even better it's made you look like an absolute lemon lmao

Cannot wait for Jesus to lead the line next season and bang in goals to put more egg on faces :arse flag.gif:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:59 am

8 goals in 28 league games is a great stat?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:25 pm

How many starts ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby NovaGB » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:11 pm

Ach wrote:8 goals in 28 league games is a great stat?

Didnt he play most of those off the bench and on the wing?
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:03 pm

Started 21 games and came on as sub in 7.

His XG differential (actual goals vs expected goals) was the 2nd worst in the PL behind Benteke last season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:11 pm

Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:He literally is.

But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

What do those figures even mean, non penalty goals + assists?

Prolific in goalscoring terms refers to the amount of goals you score compared to games played.

Salah has 118 goals in 180 PL games, Suarez had 69 goals in 110 games (playing in a much less creative team to the one Jesus plays in) and somehow they’re both below a guy with 58 in 159 games.

Even Van Persie who wasn’t an out and out goalscorer and was injury prone almost his whole career has better goalscoring stats.

That stat you posted is meaningless.

So you don't even know what it means but you decide to instantly dismiss it? And you expect me to take you seriously?

I dismiss it because I’ve shown you the stat of goals scored and number of games of the players in that list and they are all better than Jesus.

That already proves that stat is meaningless, it’s a stat aimed at making him look better than he is.

I don’t think anyone has ever used a stat called non penalty goals + assists as a way of proving someone is prolific, mainly because that’s just an odd metric.

It shows how prolific he is in terms of pure goals. Not like strikers that stat pad with penalties.

Can't wait to see him at the carpet.

Penalties count as goals as well though.

Also it isn’t as it oddly includes assists which makes no sense.

Scoring goals from penalties is a lesser achievement than scoring goals from open play. To score a goal from open play requires a lot more.

Goals and assists are very similar in their nature.

Yes and no, it tends to be harder to score from open play, except when it’s tapins of course which are harder to not score. Penalties come with a lot more pressure and time to think however which is why a lot of players miss them, ask England.

I’ve never heard anyone using the assist matrix when trying to show how prolific a player is goal wise.

It’s either being a prolific assister, or prolific goalscorer, though people tend to think of the latter when referring to how prolific someone is.

Well thankfully Jesus is both. As proven by the stat.

:thumbsup:

He’s not prolific, that’s proven, 58 goals in 159 games is not prolific by any stretch.

2nd most prolific striker in PL history :hail:

If you use the weirdest stat anyone could ever use perhaps. If you use proper stats, nowhere near.

Personally I prefer to look at number of goals vs number of games, that makes perfect sense.

Weird stat because it puts a big dollop of egg on your face lol

Not weird stat because it’s weird.

Since when do people quote a non penalty + assist stat.

That’s just very odd.

One suggestion for you, if you’re going to use stats use ones that make sense.

I think everyone knows Jesus isn’t prolific, 58 goals in 159 games is testament to that.

In fact we now know that after failing to score for Brazil in a World Cup, he’s now fearful of playing CF, what a great trait.

It's a great stat and people have agreed with me.

Even better it's made you look like an absolute lemon lmao

Cannot wait for Jesus to lead the line next season and bang in goals to put more egg on faces :arse flag.gif:

I think most people realise that stat is nonsense.

The number of goals vs games is the most relevant. His XG differential is also the second worst in the PL.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby 22-0 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:04 pm

This dude with his egg on faces.. what a weirdo.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:42 pm

I don't care for the goal stats. He doesn't play that often but score when he does start games. My main concern is whether he is committed to being a CF or will he look to switch to RW if he struggles.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:05 pm

Gabriel Jesus' numbers for Man City as CF in all competitions:

Alexandre Lacazette's numbers for Arsenal as CF in all competitions:

I, too, have concerns about his consistency in front of goal, but those numbers are decent. Technically, with the amount of chances they create, scoring for City should be easier than scoring for Arsenal, but teams are also inclined to be a bit more adventurous against us than they would be against City. Perhaps it'd be beneficial to Jesus' style of play if he has those additional few yards of space in behind oppositions defences?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:09 pm

Rumour has it we've offered Jesus £260,000 per week. That's an astonishing wage that you pay to a striker who can score 20 plus goals in the league. If we sign him on that money, Jesus needs to take a major step forward to be worth his wages.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:44 pm

PairyGrows wrote:Rumour has it we've offered Jesus £260,000 per week. That's an astonishing wage that you pay to a striker who can score 20 plus goals in the league. If we sign him on that money, Jesus needs to take a major step forward to be worth his wages.

Agreed, but that rumour spawned from an article published by The Sun, of all rags. Am not saying £260k/week can't be true, but let's wait until a more reputable source verifies the story.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:56 pm

If Nketiah is getting 100k, we can’t be that surprised if we’re paying Jesus 260k.

Nketiah is probably worth 50k max and Jesus maybe 120k max.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby 22-0 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Only reason he'd join us without CL is if we pay him.... a lot ...
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Zenith wrote:Gabriel Jesus' numbers for Man City as CF in all competitions:

Alexandre Lacazette's numbers for Arsenal as CF in all competitions:

I, too, have concerns about his consistency in front of goal, but those numbers are decent. Technically, with the amount of chances they create, scoring for City should be easier than scoring for Arsenal, but teams are also inclined to be a bit more adventurous against us than they would be against City. Perhaps it'd be beneficial to Jesus' style of play if he has those additional few yards of space in behind oppositions defences?

Well he also misses a lot of chances according to goals scored vs expected goals, City do create a shedload of chances, I don’t think we’ll create anywhere as many for him.

He started 21 games last season and had 7 as sub in the PL and scored 8 goals and 4 were in one match, so in 20 starts he scored 4 goals if you exclude that 1 match against a relegated Watford, not exactly spectacular.

Even after he scored those 4 he didn’t really got on a hot streak of form as most strikers do when they score a few in one game.

For me I go by whether he’s impressed me when I’ve seen him for City, the answer to that is no, I always thought he wasn’t good enough for City and that he should be scoring a lot more in a team like there’s.

Guardiola has never trusted him fully, Jesus also decided he couldn’t play CF after failing to score for Brazil in a World Cup (which to be fair is pretty poor as even their worst strikers have managed in) and everyone was saying City needed a striker last season when he was there suggesting he couldn’t deliver the goals they needed.

IMO it’s another Welbeck kinda signing, he’s better than him for sure, but he’s been shown to have been lacking which is why City tried to buy a striker last summer and then bought one this summer. That’s not a good basis to sign a striker who needs to score you goals.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk