Bernd Leno joins Fulham

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Bernd Leno

Postby CaptGooner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

Read he is extremely talented but can be error prone..

Hopefully we will be able to iron out the error side if true.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

GBLShorty wrote:Lichinsteiner = free
Sokratis = 16m
Torreira = 22m
Gelson = free if the rumours are true
Leno = around 22-25m

that = under £60m

they said we had £70m (6 internationals for 70m is insane business)

If we buy Soyuncu for £30m and sell Mustafi for £20m then we are bang on £70m.

I still think 1 midfielder is going to be sold tho, maybe Jack released because he wants guaranteed starts and he wont get that here.

Torriea is not £22m, he's reportedly £26m ........... but in installments so that's not included in this years transfers, it'll be paid off over years so you can pretty much deduct his fee off that list, we're prob only giving them £8m or something this year?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am

Don't watch him all that often so can't say conclusively.

I can say that the last thing we need is a GK prone to howlers. Please no. It's an Arsenal tragedy.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:42 am

Not seen much of them. But I recall someone here suggesting Timo Horn was better - and isn’t he available at something silly like £5m due to Koln being relegated ??

Anyway I’m liking the proactive way we’re moving this window. Progress
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby realtalk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 pm

[quote="GBLShorty"]Lichinsteiner = free
Sokratis = 16m
Torreira = 22m
Leno = around 22-25m

that = under £60m

I still think 1 midfielder is going to be sold tho, maybe Jack released because he wants guaranteed starts and he wont get that here.[/quote}

This is how wenger used to operate under dein. Who used to get good players that were needed. And for shrewd prices. The budget price was a myth. We were never gonna announce the budget as that would instantly inflate prices. There's money to buy someone exceptional or worth the investment. E.G if dembele is available the loan/purchase will happen, we will get him for cheap even if we pay in installments. I easily see an mbappe loan/buy situation there.Just not as high in fees.

This is our best window in emirates era. We actually had multiple players identified and we narrowed it down with emery checking over.As this torriera guy was his recommendation allegedly. We actually targeted players and are going out to get them for once.

Actually moving like a modern club. See holes ,identify problems and go solve them. Its a new era of effectiveness & delivering. All that style over suubtstance is over all that cutesy,stalling ,caring shit is gone.Unery has to deliver pressure is on.

Anyway this leno guy is germany's number 2 right ?? He'll be fine. I dont think he's amazing like allison and few others but he's good. IF he's as solid as lehman thats all we need reliability. We have lens & a new goalie coach.So all is good In this new era. 4-3-3 incoming :)
realtalk
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby KG3 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm

realtalk wrote:
Sokratis = 16m
Torreira = 22m
Leno = around 22-25m

that = under £60m

I still think 1 midfielder is going to be sold tho, maybe Jack released because he wants guaranteed starts and he wont get that here.

This is how wenger used to operate under dein. Who used to get good players that were needed.

This is our best window in emirates era. We actually had multiple players identified and we narrowed it down with emery checking over.As this torriera guy was his recommendation allegedly. We actually targeted players and are going out to get them for once.

Actually moving like a modern club. See wholes ,identify problems and go solve them. Its a new era of delivering & effectiveness.

This leno guy is germany's number 2 right ?? He'll be fine we have lens & a new goalie coach all is good. In this new era. 4-3-3 incomining :)

Firstly how can you rate this as our best window when we've only officially signed one player who is a 34 year old fullback on a free and yes assuming we get the other targets Sokratis, Torreria and Leno you still can't rate it at least until they kick a ball for us Ffs.

Also is Jens still part of the coaching staff? And Steve bould?
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby realtalk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm

KG3 wrote:
realtalk wrote:
Sokratis = 16m
Torreira = 22m
Leno = around 22-25m

that = under £60m

This is how wenger used to operate under dein. Who used to get good players that were needed.

Actually moving like a modern club. See wholes ,identify problems and go solve them. Its a new era of delivering & effectiveness.

This leno guy is germany's number 2 right ?? He'll be fine we have lens & a new goalie coach all is good. In this new era. 4-3-3 incomining :)

Firstly how can you rate this as our best window when we've only officially signed one player who is a 34 year old fullback on a free and yes assuming we get the other targets Sokratis, Torreria and Leno you still can't rate it at least until they kick a ball for us Ffs.

Yeh lens and bould still here. Of course its our best window. We need players in position x,y,z and we are going out to get them. All good rated players. This has never happened under wenger in emirates era. He always left us short and then tried to scurry around the winter windows.
And then had the cheek to say that I could of signed mbappe,kante,player X when they were at team X for 500K-15 million. f***ing joke.

We are actually identifying players we need and are getting them. For shrewd prices. They will all be good players that will contribute and strengthen the team with depth. You cant just buy superstars you get good players in then a season or two they become good,great,amazing etc.

The amount of players wenger stalled on buying. Im just happy that we are doing the stuff needed an being effective.
realtalk
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 pm

realtalk wrote:
KG3 wrote:
realtalk wrote:
Sokratis = 16m
Torreira = 22m
Leno = around 22-25m

that = under £60m

Yeh lens and bould still here. Of course its our best window. We need players in position x,y,z and we are going out to get them. All good rated players. This has never happened under wenger in emirates era. He always left us short and then tried to scurry around the winter windows.
And then had the cheek to say that I could of signed mbappe,kante,player X when they were at team X for 500K-15 million. f***ing joke.

We are actually identifying players we need and are getting them. For shrewd prices. They will all be good players that will contribute and strengthen the team with depth. You cant just buy superstars you get good players in then a season or two they become good,great,amazing etc.

The amount of players wenger stalled on buying. Im just happy that we are doing the stuff needed an being effective.

Exactly. In terms of Windows, we are addressing areas we sorely need improvement in.

If we fail this season, it won't be because we f***ked up in the window.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Hybrid47 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Thought I'd add that Leno isn't second choice, he's more like joint third choice with Kevin Trapp. That said Germany do have 4 or 5 great goal keepers.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby elber » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Realistically he’s about the best we could hope for.

Oblak and Alisson are obviously superior, but clearly out of our reach.

Kepa would be a great signing but will be really difficult to prize him away from Spain.

Rico and Pavlenka are good alternatives but I wouldn’t say either of them are better than Leno.

There’s Butland but Stoke would likely take the piss with the fee and don’t think he’d be worth it.

Donnarumma and Lafont potentially great but too raw and inexperienced.
elber
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby GBLShorty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I think Lafont is going to Crystal Palace
GBLShorty
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Some positives about Bernd, although this doesn't speak to individual errors:

Since 2014/15 he has the second most clean sheets in the Bundesliga

A post I made when the rumor first came out:

"This is an exiting buy for me if it happens as I play GK. I knew we were never in for an Oblak or Donnarumma given our resources so this really hits the sweet spot of high potential up and comer at the right price.

I've watched a bit of him and I think he his exceptional trait is his footwork. He has some of the most active feet I've seen on a GK in awhile. He's doing what I call a stutter hop where he's making small positioning changes while an attacker advances on him. This allows him to react quickly once he has read the shot timing and/or direction and improves his position while doing so. If he reads the shot he takes a large hop while the shooter is drawing their foot back. This allows him to get into a strong leaping position for his dives. Because of his active feet he also is able to make a lot of saves with his feet that would otherwise slip by."

An article by bundesliga.com that was written in March. They ranked him second best in the league this season behind Pavlenka this season:

Bernd Leno, Bayer Leverkusen
Appearances: 25
Goals conceded: 33
Clean sheets: 7

Since joining Bayer Leverkusen in 2011, Bernd Leno has missed just three Bundesliga matches. That's three matches in the last seven and half seasons or 229 matches. For a 26-year-old goalkeeper at one of Germany's foremost clubs, such lonegvity is quite incredible and speaks to what a fantastic competitor he is.

Indeed, you don't earn that untouchability for nothing and Leno continues to confirm why he is his club's undisputed number one, with seven more clean sheets so far this season to push Bayer back up the table after the team struggle in 2016/17. More in the Neuer mould, Leno's shot-stopping ability is only one dimension of a playing style that is based more on his overall team involvement. Modifying the sweeper-keeper role and becoming even more actively involved in Leverkusen's fluid football has seen Leno average more touches of the ball and play more passes than any other goalkeeper this term.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby indy23 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Kicker saying it could be done as early as next week
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Other than that vid posted earlier, how bad has he been? I don't even think it was his fault particularly, like Ach pointed out you can clearly see the ball kick up at the last second before he went to smash it.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 am

I remember Paul Robinson did it back in 2007 I think for England and I didn't really blame him either. Others did but I don't know what a keeper is supposed to do about something like that
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football