Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 am

Martin Ødegaard.

15-year-old Norwegian attacking midfielder who made his debut for Strømsgodset back in April, making him the youngest footballer ever to play in the Tippeligaen. A couple of days ago Real Madrid saw a €15m bid for Ødegaard rejected. Check out the video below and decide for yourself. Special talent IMO.

We haven't been linked with him yet but it's only a matter of time before our club's name pops up in one of the articles about him.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Martin Ødegaard

Postby Yago » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 am

Dunno, looked good but not exceptional, and the league isn't very strong. Impressive considering his age, and I don't mind getting gems, but 15m euros? That's a lot for a 15 yo.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:00 am

lol this would be an absolute disaster

looks no better than olsson, ive seen the video before he's just a very neat player

if we got him for free then fair enough but i wouldnt pay for him
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 am

Olsson is an adult who turns 20 next year. We are talking about a 15-year-old boy here; try and see things in perspective. It's not just his close control and his dribbling but his vision, passing range and end product that are all exceptionally good for a boy of his age.

The Tippeligaen isn't the EPL but it's still a significantly higher level than Academy football, especially defensively, physically and tactically. Find a recent video of a 15 y/o kid doing the same things at senior level and come back and tell me there isn't anything exceptional or unique about it.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 am

His agility/posture reminds me of Messi.

Really don't think he should be a priority; we've had enough undersized, technical teenagers over the years - tired of these lightweights.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am

Zenith wrote:Olsson is an adult who turns 20 next year. We are talking about a 15-year-old boy here; try and see things in perspective. It's not just his close control and his dribbling but his vision, passing range and end product that are all exceptionally good for a boy of his age.

The Tippeligaen isn't the EPL but it's still a significantly higher level than Academy football, especially defensively, physically and tactically. Find a recent video of a 15 y/o kid doing the same things at senior level and come back and tell me there isn't anything exceptional or unique about it.

it really isnt according to a few norweigens that i know. None of them have anything good to say about the league. Yes physically they may be superior but in most other aspects i would say they arent.

I'm not saying he isnt talented, he has some talent but what he is doing really isnt much compared to what freddy adu for example was doing in the states and he was playing in a similar quality league (i'd say now the mls is considerably stronger ). Obviously i haven't watched this kid at all and have only seen this video and a few others but judging from the tactical set up of the teams and the quality of defending he just looks like a neat player right now that is profiting from playing in a league well below the usual standard. I doubt tippeligaen players could even play to league 1 standard for example (bar maybe a small handful) however youth football is usually littered with many players that can contribute even to that level.

I would rate a player like dan crowley far higher than this kid
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GhostNL » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 am

Salt and Wenger wrote:
Zenith wrote:Olsson is an adult who turns 20 next year. We are talking about a 15-year-old boy here; try and see things in perspective. It's not just his close control and his dribbling but his vision, passing range and end product that are all exceptionally good for a boy of his age.

it really isnt according to a few norweigens that i know. None of them have anything good to say about the league. Yes physically they may be superior but in most other aspects i would say they arent.

I'm not saying he isnt talented, he has some talent but what he is doing really isnt much compared to what freddy adu for example was doing in the states and he was playing in a similar quality league (i'd say now the mls is considerably stronger ). Obviously i haven't watched this kid at all and have only seen this video and a few others but judging from the tactical set up of the teams and the quality of defending he just looks like a neat player right now that is profiting from playing in a league well below the usual standard. I doubt tippeligaen players could even play to league 1 standard for example (bar maybe a small handful) however youth football is usually littered with many players that can contribute even to that level.

I would rate a player like dan crowley far higher than this kid

May be Crowley is already better than Zelalem who has not impressed me so far. :hiding:
WENGER OUT!
GhostNL
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 am

GhostNL wrote:
May be Crowley is already better than Zelalem who has not impressed me so far. :hiding:

No need to hide, I completely agree and have been saying it since last year.

I've not once been impressed by Zelalem and I don't think he'll make it here - especially if we continue this trend of buying high calibre players each summer.

Crowley on the other hand looks considerably more talented, he out shone Zelalem at reserve levels last season, too; I can't understand why he - as opposed to Zelalem - hasn't been involved with the first team.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby GhostNL » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:35 am

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
GhostNL wrote:

No need to hide, I completely agree and have been saying it since last year.

I've not once been impressed by Zelalem and I don't think he'll make it here - especially if we continue this trend of buying high calibre players each summer.

Crowley on the other hand looks considerably more talented, he out shone Zelalem at reserve levels last season, too; I can't understand why he - as opposed to Zelalem - hasn't been involved with the first team.

:cheers:
WENGER OUT!
GhostNL
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Est83 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am

Wasn't Crowley the guy that racially abused another player during a game?.... if so, that might explain something!

This Odegaard looks good though.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Gunpowder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 am

Est83 wrote:Wasn't Crowley the guy that racially abused another player during a game?.... if so, that might explain something!

This Odegaard looks good though.

It was Jebb

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26077
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StockGooner » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Crowley spent last season injured, so he had rehabilitation this summer, really getting to work on his fitness and strength. I think they seem to be keeping Crowley out of the spotlight to avoid another young English gem being touted to the media, therefore Zelalem has been involved in the first team squad. Plus he's part American so taking him to New York was logical to get some American happiness maybe? I don't know? But a lot of our squad have come out and said Zelalem is the real deal so I wouldn't write him off?

As for Ødegaard, I don't get the negativity, he's 15 and even if he is playing in a lower league, that's pretty impressive. Is €15mill correct or a typo?
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Youngie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:28 pm

He looks decent, He needs to stay there and develop his game. Plus he's got some growing up to do off the field too. Lets check back in 2/3 years time

Going to Madrid this early in his career would ruin him, he'd just rot in their academy.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StockGooner » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Anyone got a link to the rejected €15mill bid?

Sorry but can't see that being rejected by a Norweigan side? They'd snap a hand off for €5mill I would of thought?
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm

StockGooner wrote:Anyone got a link to the rejected €15mill bid?

Sorry but can't see that being rejected by a Norweigan side? They'd snap a hand off for €5mill I would of thought?

It was fake apparently.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk