Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:Do you guys think the following line-up would work?

Leno
RB - White - Gabriel - Tierney
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe
Saka/Pepe - Laca/Auba - Pepe/Martinelli

No because we tried a similar set up against Villareal and we were poor. Ødegaard can't really play as an 8 from what we've seen so far.

Yeah, but those games were Arteta going, "But Pep..." The issue is he seems to have learned how to bottle European games from Pep but can't seem to dominate the league like his master.

I'm thinking more of a Silva - KdB in a 4-3-3. 'Course both Øde and ESR are nowhere as good as Silva and KdB. I do think it's something worth trying.

I'm sure prime Wenger would have tried a midfield two of ESR and Thomas, with Ødegaard as a CAM in his 4-2-3-1. It might not be an ideal strategy, but it's a heck lot more effective than playing a sophisticated version of hoof-ball that Arteta wants.

Tony Adams wrote:

Leno
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe
We'd get torn apart in midfield

When we're playing top teams, you're right.

Against the "lesser sides," this might be a lot more effective than having 8-men behind the ball? Don't you think?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:13 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Leno
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe

No because we tried a similar set up against Villareal and we were poor. Ødegaard can't really play as an 8 from what we've seen so far.

Yeah, but those games were Arteta going, "But Pep..." The issue is he seems to have learned how to bottle European games from Pep but can't seem to dominate the league like his master.

I'm thinking more of a Silva - KdB in a 4-3-3. 'Course both Øde and ESR are nowhere as good as Silva and KdB. I do think it's something worth trying.

I'm sure prime Wenger would have tried a midfield two of ESR and Thomas, with Ødegaard as a CAM in his 4-2-3-1. It might not be an ideal strategy, but it's a heck lot more effective than playing a sophisticated version of hoof-ball that Arteta wants.

Tony Adams wrote:

Leno
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe

Against the "lesser sides," this might be a lot more effective than having 8-men behind the ball? Don't you think?
No, because lesser sides in the premier league fill their midfields with big lumps who would kick them off the park. Just like they did when we had fabregas, ramsey, cazorla and co. I never want to see our midfield bullied like that again!

After watching us win titles with petit/vieira and gilberto/vieira I yearn for that type of midfield. Partey, Lokonga and Azeez are all physical but technical. We need one more top notch one next to Partey so that Azeez and Lokonga can be back up and I am happy.

Then Pepe, Saka, Smith Rowe, Auba, Martinelli, Balogun or whoever plays in our front four can be free to concentrate on attacking. You'd be surprised how two defensive midfielders can actually lead to more goals by freeing up the forwards. That's how Wenger's title winning teams did it and I think that is what Arteta is planning.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Leno
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe

Tony Adams wrote:

Leno
Thomas
Ødegaard - Smith Rowe

That's what I mean, Arteta already tried Ode and ESR in a KdB and Silva role. I'm not convinced by Ødegaard's style of play either as a 10 or 8. But if we were to buy him, we'd have to shuffle him into the middle somehow and with ESR being the 10, we also have to accommodate him through the middle. It just presents an unnecessary mess imo. But it would probably be the best compromise in terms of formation.

As for what would Wenger.... I wouldn't assume he'd play both ESR and Ødegaard in midfield as first choice. When we had Cesc and boutht Rosicky, he played Rosicky wide when I first assumed he was going to play both Cesc and Rosicky in the middle and switch to a 4-3-3. Instead he played Rosicky wide. It was the same with Nasri playing wide and he did the same when we had Cazorla and bought Ozil. First instinct for Wenger was to play Cazorla on the wings instead of a CM. Injury forced Wenger to play Cazorla as a CM.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:43 pm

Real Madrid will be willing to let Norway midfielder Martin Odegaard leave for around £43m, with Arsenal interested in the 22-year-old after his loan spell in north London last season. (ESPN)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 am

This whole saga with Odegaard and Real is starting to play out like a novel by one of the Bronte sisters or Wilbur Smith, with the back drop of a love triangle involving two aristocratic brothers and a young countess betrothed to the elder brother since being a child.

At this point now which could prove pivotal to our ambitions for the upcoming season, I'm starting to feel more and more compelled to simply walk away from any materialising offer of sloppy seconds.

I'm not going to go overboard with regards to us retaining a modicum of dignity given that I couldn't convince myself of that notion bearing any relevance in business transactions, but I don't want any player at my club who would prefer to be elsewhere and be pining like a puppy just separated from its mother's teat.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:57 am

The issue I have with Odegaard is that his current club don't rate him, it seems there is no interest from any big clubs anywhere in Europe so they don't rate him, and let's be honest his loan spell with us hardly set the EPL on fire and no other EPL club appears to rate him ....

That means nothing if he turns out to be a diamond just needing a good polish ... but my faith in our scouting / training / management finds it hard to imagine that we can find something in him that nobody else even appears to even see.

At the right price and on the right salary sure give him a go - but as our club "play-maker" for a huge fee on big money? that's a massive gamble and one we clearly felt wasn't worth it two months ago ... desperate times call for desperate gambles I guess.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CaptGooner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Wasn’t that impressed when we had him. What does he provide that ESR doesn’t?

Given our attack last season we need significant upgrades and Ode isn’t it IMO.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm

EliteKiller wrote:The issue I have with Odegaard is that his current club don't rate him, it seems there is no interest from any big clubs anywhere in Europe so they don't rate him, and let's be honest his loan spell with us hardly set the EPL on fire and no other EPL club appears to rate him ....

That means nothing if he turns out to be a diamond just needing a good polish ... but my faith in our scouting / training / management finds it hard to imagine that we can find something in him that nobody else even appears to even see.

At the right price and on the right salary sure give him a go - but as our club "play-maker" for a huge fee on big money? that's a massive gamble and one we clearly felt wasn't worth it two months ago ... desperate times call for desperate gambles I guess.

Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira were all not making it at big clubs when we got them.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:32 pm

How is that even a valid comparison? Odergaard played for us last season and was average, that’s what we should be looking at.

Not worth wasting money on, he’s overrated and overhyped.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Özim wrote:How is that even a valid comparison? Odergaard played for us last season and was average, that’s what we should be looking at.

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:How is that even a valid comparison? Odergaard played for us last season and was average, that’s what we should be looking at.

Mr Bronson!
:lol: :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:25 pm

DAILY MIRROR

Real Madrid are reported to have "closed the door" on Martin Odegaard leaving the club this summer because of injury concerns over fellow midfielder Toni Kroos
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Thank goodness for that not impressed with him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Özim wrote:Thank goodness for that not impressed with him.

At least we agree on something.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:28 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk