Virgil van Dijk

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Virgil van Dijk

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 pm

MANCHESTER CITY and Arsenal are weighing up bids for £10million-rated Celtic centre-back Virgil van Dijk.

Both clubs have sent scouts to monitor the impressive form of the Dutchman this season.

The Hoops signed van Dijk for just £1.6m from Groningen last summer and have put him on a long deal.

He is contracted to three more seasons with them, with an option for another year. The 22-year-old’s form has impressed Celtic manager Neil Lennon so much that he expects a call to come from Netherlands counterpart Louis van Gaal.

Lennon said: “It’s inevitable, if he keeps going and progressing the way he is, that he’ll become a Dutch international. He makes it look easy. People seem to think he has a laid-back attitude, but his work ethic is very high and he’s a kid who wants to get better.

“I’d like to think Virgil would get a chance with his country.”

Van Dijk has made 29 appearances for Celtic this season, scoring three goals.

But he fears he will miss out on his nation’s World Cup squad, and said: “I have never been invited so I think the chances are not so big for me.

“That’s unfortunate but I have to move on, keep playing good games and maybe, you never know, the chance will come.”

Team-mate Efe Ambrose, however, wants Celtic to sign players rather than let those of the calibre of van Dijk leave, writes Iain Macfarlane in Turkey.

Ambrose has urged Lennon to hit the January sales to maximise the club’s chances of cracking the Champions League.

The Nigerian reckons the cash-rich Hoops should bolster the squad this month with key signings – and at the same time slam the door shut on star players leaving.

Defender Ambrose was part of a new-look Hoops outfit which scraped through three qualifiers for this season’s Champions League.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... l-van-Dijk
Last edited by Arsenal~Fanatic on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: van Dijk

Postby Dejan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 pm

im dutch and I have no clue who this guy is
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Dejan wrote:im dutch and I have no clue who this guy is

LOL i had you in my mind as the expert Dutch scout Dejan. I myself have no clue, so wanted to find out :biggrin:
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 pm

I know him by name but never seen him play.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Dejan didn't hear him, Zenith haven't seen him. Trequartista?

I don't like paying 10+ for a guy just moved in last transfer window for 1.6.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Never heard of him, and if he's playing for celtic he's hardly a Giroud or an Ozil.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GhostNL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Dejan you're Dutch and never heard of Virgil van Dijk???
Hard to imagine as i'm dutch too, not really a follower of dutch football and know this guy.

I think he could be a great back-up at first, this guy has potential, is very young, strong body and is one of the reasons Celtic haven't conceded a goal for 7? games now. Also an attacking threat like Vermaelen could be.
Van Dijk is young but shows great potential until now.

Sorry for no introduction ;)
I'm a longtime gooner and a short-time lurker of this website. This topic gave me a nice reason to finally register ;)
WENGER OUT!
GhostNL
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 pm

GhostNL wrote:Dejan you're Dutch and never heard of Virgil van Dijk???
Hard to imagine as i'm dutch too, not really a follower of dutch football and know this guy.

I think he could be a great back-up at first, this guy has potential, is very young, strong body and is one of the reasons Celtic haven't conceded a goal for 7? games now. Also an attacking threat like Vermaelen could be.

I'm a longtime gooner and a short-time lurker of this website. This topic gave me a nice reason to finally register ;)

Welcome to the forum :)
I wouldn't read too much into that Celtic stat considering the quality of the SPL.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

GhostNL wrote:Dejan you're Dutch and never heard of Virgil van Dijk???

Welcome to the forum mate and thanks for filling in with info about van Dijk.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Glasgow gooner » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:44 pm

He's a good centre half but nowhere near worth 10million. Every season a Celtic player gets touted as being worth 10-15 million and get found out quickly. He had a shocking start to the season but has settled well. With regards to Celtic not conceding in 7, this defence was completely ripped apart by barca and Milan. Would probably take for at most 5 million
Glasgow gooner
Michael Thomas

Postby GhostNL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 pm

5 million is indeed what I would pay for.

For years and years the centre backs in our national squad have been the weakest link.
I'm just hoping this guy is going to be our new Jaap Stam ;)
He shows potential but even if he's bought he wouldn't be a serious contester for a place with the starting 11 for at least 1,5 season.
WENGER OUT!
GhostNL
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Dejan wrote:im dutch and I have no clue who this guy is

Pull your finger out.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm a Celtic fan as well and this guy is class - he's head and shoulders ahead of everyone in the league. He's strong, quick and very composed on the ball. He's scored a fair few too.

It's hard to say if he'd make it in the Premier League but he'd be a good fourth-choice option.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Callum wrote:I'm a Celtic fan as well and this guy is class - he's head and shoulders ahead of everyone in the league. He's strong, quick and very composed on the ball. He's scored a fair few too.

It's hard to say if he'd make it in the Premier League but he'd be a good fourth-choice option.

Celtic fan????? :dizzy:

But why Callum WHY????

Just thinking about Scottish football makes me laugh ;)
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm

I like Scottish football, its still a mans game up there!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill