Virgil van Dijk

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Virgil van Dijk

Postby Callum » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

S&W the no1Fan wrote:
Callum wrote:I've watched this guy since he came to Celtic and he'd be a great signing for us. I know some people write him off purely because he plays in Scotland but that's a very lazy assessment from people who don't know what they're talking about.

He's raw and would have to adapt but he has all the qualities we'd want. He's a great height, he's strong and he's pacey. He does have a bit of the Vermaelen's in terms of wanting to go forward but when he does he's good at it. His reading of the game is pretty good for a player of his age and I think with the right tutelage he has the potential to become a top class centre-back for us should we sign him.

what changed since a few months back.

You said before that you dont think he's good enough?

Er, no.

On the first page of this thread I said I thought he was class but was unsure if he'd be good enough straight away to play regularly for us. I did say though that he's got huge potential and would be worth the risk. Nothing's changed.

EDIT: On second viewing I've made four separate posts in this thread saying I want us to buy him. You're talking shit mate.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Callum wrote:
S&W the no1Fan wrote:
Callum wrote:I've watched this guy since he came to Celtic and he'd be a great signing for us. I know some people write him off purely because he plays in Scotland but that's a very lazy assessment from people who don't know what they're talking about.

He's raw and would have to adapt but he has all the qualities we'd want. He's a great height, he's strong and he's pacey. He does have a bit of the Vermaelen's in terms of wanting to go forward but when he does he's good at it. His reading of the game is pretty good for a player of his age and I think with the right tutelage he has the potential to become a top class centre-back for us should we sign him.

Er, no.

On the first page of this thread I said I thought he was class but was unsure if he'd be good enough straight away to play regularly for us. I did say though that he's got huge potential and would be worth the risk. Nothing's changed.

EDIT: On second viewing I've made four separate posts in this thread saying I want us to buy him. You're talking shit mate.

And their lyes the real problem we would have sadly as he wouldn't get that here. I have a mate who is a massive Celtic fan and he thinks this guy is the next big money move away from Park Head.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Callum wrote:
S&W the no1Fan wrote:

Er, no.

Callum wrote:I'm a Celtic fan as well and this guy is class - he's head and shoulders ahead of everyone in the league. He's strong, quick and very composed on the ball. He's scored a fair few too.

It's hard to say if he'd make it in the Premier League but he'd be a good fourth-choice option.

there's definitely a clear difference between you're not sure if he's good enough for the premiership and potentially being world class.

but my question was a genuine question, what's caused this shift in opinion because i haven't been watching him regularly over the last few months.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:06 pm

S&W the no1Fan wrote:
Callum wrote:
S&W the no1Fan wrote:

Er, no.

Callum wrote:I'm a Celtic fan as well and this guy is class - he's head and shoulders ahead of everyone in the league. He's strong, quick and very composed on the ball. He's scored a fair few too.

It's hard to say if he'd make it in the Premier League but he'd be a good fourth-choice option.

there's definitely a clear difference between you're not sure if he's good enough for the premiership and potentially being world class.

but my question was a genuine question, what's caused this shift in opinion because i haven't been watching him regularly over the last few months.

When did I ever say he has the potential to be world class?

I said he's "class" but that means something else altogether. When I posted in the summer I said he's a good player with a lot of the attributes we need but obviously there are some doubts because it's a big jump up to the Premier League. That's still what I'm saying now. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Callum wrote:
S&W the no1Fan wrote:
Callum wrote:
S&W the no1Fan wrote:

Er, no.

When did I ever say he has the potential to be world class?

I said he's "class" but that means something else altogether. When I posted in the summer I said he's a good player with a lot of the attributes we need but obviously there are some doubts because it's a big jump up to the Premier League. That's still what I'm saying now. Stop putting words in my mouth.

top class (which unless i'm mistaken is synonymous for world class)

i highlighted it even further in case you miss it again.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Looks like a good rotation option for Koscielny. Not sure if he and Koscielny would work well together
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Callum » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:47 pm

S&W the no1Fan wrote:top class (which unless i'm mistaken is synonymous for world class)

i highlighted it even further in case you miss it again.

Not in my eyes they're not.

To me "top class" basically equates to "very good", but saying someone is "world class" to me means that they are one of the very best in the world in their respective position.

To me the likes of Cazorla and Walcott (at his best) are top class players, but I wouldn't label them world class.

So yeah, as I said before, stop talking bullshit as per usual and stop putting words in my mouth.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:10 am

Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk, 23, has welcomed reports linking him with a move to Arsenal this month. (Metro)

Hope that's all it is
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby John Ozil » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:24 pm

From the Scottish Daily Record

Van Dijk: It's great to be linked with Arsenal
The defender has admitted it is "great" to be linked with Arsenal and has urged Celtic to allow him to leave if the right club came along with a suitable offer.

"My time at Celtic has gone quickly. "I have recently been thinking a bit about it [his career]. I am now 23 and have played at Willem II, FC Groningen and Celtic and am now linked to clubs like Arsenal. Isn't that great?"

"There are a lot of clubs interested, but Celtic is holding on to a big transfer fee. The club is clear: they don't want to let me go in the winter, because we're playing for four trophies.

"I understand the point of view from the club and I see it as a compliment that they don't want to let me go. But we have to be realistic. If there's a nice club from England, we have to talk. I want to develop myself as a player, that's for sure.
#Messi4GOAT
John Ozil
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Scobbie96 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:15 pm

10 premier league clubs at hamilton v celtic today including arsenal
ArsenalScotlandSupportersClub

Sol Campbell: "I always dreamed of winning the league at White Hart Lane. So I left and joined Arsenal."
Scobbie96
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Tarquinius » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Scobbie96 wrote:10 premier league clubs at hamilton v celtic today including arsenal

Good to hear. Really hope we can get him in this window.

(Although I won't be surprised to hear that the Arsenal scout was there to watch a teenager on Hamilton's bench)
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Tarquinius wrote:
Scobbie96 wrote:10 premier league clubs at hamilton v celtic today including arsenal

(Although I won't be surprised to hear that the Arsenal scout was there to watch a teenager on Hamilton's bench)

And sign him based on his attitude while sitting on the bench after impressing with the way he encouraged his team mates
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:18 pm

gooney wrote:
Tarquinius wrote:

And sign him based on his attitude while sitting on the bench after impressing with the way he encouraged his team mates

:rofll:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dolan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Sign him now. Sell Mertesacker in the summer and buy a quality CB. Koscielny + new CB with Van Dijk and Chambers as backup. Would still sign another CB for decent width, but hey, Wenger is of the assumption that we have the greatest medical team in the world.
dolan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:37 pm

gooney wrote:
Tarquinius wrote:

:rofll:
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill