Virgil van Dijk

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Virgil van Dijk

Postby gooney » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Welsh Gunner wrote:How can any scout give a meaningful assessment on a player from the SPL ? It's a dogshit league isn't it.

Any quality scout can asses a players ability no matter what league plays in. Its not really that hard. You look at attributes. Walcott is very quick in any league, Andy Carroll is a beast in the air in any league etc etc. He has played in the Dutch and Scottish league and done really well. There is no doubt he is a PL standard player. But the question is he midtable or higher up level
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cripps » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Im always sceptical about players In Scotland.

Look at Gary Hooper, scored f**k loads for celtic and arguably their greatest ever striker, languishing with norwich in some league in England.

Larsson, goals galore, did f all elsewhere.

Sutton, Hartson etc.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Cripps wrote:Im always sceptical about players In Scotland.

Look at Gary Hooper, scored f**k loads for celtic and arguably their greatest ever striker, languishing with norwich in some league in England.

Larsson, goals galore, did f all elsewhere.

Sutton, Hartson etc.

Its a league with lower level, so it make sense. The point is one should always be open minded enough that a quality player can play in one of those leagues and not just every player the same.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:13 pm

larsson managed to come on for barca and change the game so much that it cost us a CL trophy but yeah.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:22 am

Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk is ready to reject interest from Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United in January, with the Premier League clubs readying £10m bids for the 23-year-old centre-back. (Daily Express)
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 am

Welsh Gunner wrote:How can any scout give a meaningful assessment on a player from the SPL ? It's a dogshit league isn't it.

Indeed, for the moment it is a one team league like the Welsh Premier League. It is on par with League 1 with celtic maybe being Championship/low PL quality.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby AFC10 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:24 am

He looks good but it's a piss poor league. He's very good on the ball from what iv'e seen but it's impossible to judge him until he's properly been tested.

Worth a gamble buying him in my opinion so i'd rather we go all out for someone big.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zedie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:21 am

Mesüt wrote:larsson managed to come on for barca and change the game so much that it cost us a CL trophy but yeah.

Read my mind. Still find it impossible to hate the guy for it, he was just awesome.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Welsh Gunner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:32 pm

gooney wrote:

Any quality scout can asses a players ability no matter what league plays in. Its not really that hard. You look at attributes. Walcott is very quick in any league, Andy Carroll is a beast in the air in any league etc etc. He has played in the Dutch and Scottish league and done really well. There is no doubt he is a PL standard player. But the question is he midtable or higher up level

I understand your point but a scout watching a central defender can assess his speed/positioning etc but if he's playing against poor quality players it must be difficult to assess. You only really know how a defender can cope under severe pressure when it happens.
Welsh Gunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby John Ozil » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:59 pm

dont rate him tbh.

hope we get Schar
#Messi4GOAT
John Ozil
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Tarquinius » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:44 pm

I think he'll make a great back-up CB and may even displace Per. He's mobile, pacy, very good with his head and still relatively young for a CB. There's a reason he's caught the eye of so many clubs and won player of the year for the club or smething like that - it's not like he's the first centre-back Celtic have had.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cripps » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:23 am

Arsenal and Manchester United both want to sign £10m-rated Dutch centre-back Virgil van Dijk, 23 from Celtic. (Daily Star)
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 am

I've watched this guy since he came to Celtic and he'd be a great signing for us. I know some people write him off purely because he plays in Scotland but that's a very lazy assessment from people who don't know what they're talking about.

He's raw and would have to adapt but he has all the qualities we'd want. He's a great height, he's strong and he's pacey. He does have a bit of the Vermaelen's in terms of wanting to go forward but when he does he's good at it. His reading of the game is pretty good for a player of his age and I think with the right tutelage he has the potential to become a top class centre-back for us should we sign him.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Scobbie96 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 am

Quality on the ball CB he hits freekicks haha however yes he looks solid in the SPFL but we would have to bid over 12-15m which would be a risk because he's untested in a top league. But yes best CB in Scotland by quite a bit. Unsure why he wasn't in holland squad in the summer, would have been great to see him being tested. Wondering if we could loan him for a smaller fee with a first option clause and if he's a success sign him in the summer. That would be ideal.
ArsenalScotlandSupportersClub

Sol Campbell: "I always dreamed of winning the league at White Hart Lane. So I left and joined Arsenal."
Scobbie96
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:29 am

Callum wrote:I've watched this guy since he came to Celtic and he'd be a great signing for us. I know some people write him off purely because he plays in Scotland but that's a very lazy assessment from people who don't know what they're talking about.

He's raw and would have to adapt but he has all the qualities we'd want. He's a great height, he's strong and he's pacey. He does have a bit of the Vermaelen's in terms of wanting to go forward but when he does he's good at it. His reading of the game is pretty good for a player of his age and I think with the right tutelage he has the potential to become a top class centre-back for us should we sign him.

what changed since a few months back.

You said before that you dont think he's good enough?
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill