Antoine Griezmann

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Antoine Griezmann

Postby gooney » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Yago wrote:Too limited, we already have enough players for the left wing position. No thanks.

If ever I seen a Wenger attacker its him. He is very comfortable on the ball, can play either wing and is a real goal threat. I would take him in a heart beat. I have been crying out for someone who can play on the wing who is a dribbler. This means Podolski will play even less on the wing and he will get more time as a striker. I think Wenger is starting to realise if he cant get a top class striker, he may strengthen the midfield and add more penetration and goals to our midfield
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Lucky7 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Some discussion regarding us removing some clauses we have in Vela's contract as a negotiating tool if we pursue Griezmann. We have a 4mE buy back clause for Vela, which the player has no choice in whether to accept the move or not (clause only applies in summer windows). We also have a 30% sell on clause for him.

TransferMarkt values Vela at 20mE right now. If that's true, we basically are holding a 16m axe above their head. If they sell, then we would get 6m of that.

This could definitely play into negotiations. It seems Griezmann will be going either now or in the summer. If they believe that we might steal Vela in the summer, it might appeal to them to get less money for Griezmann now and not have to worry about replacing their two best players.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooney » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Lucky7 wrote:Some discussion regarding us removing some clauses we have in Vela's contract as a negotiating tool if we pursue Griezmann. We have a 4mE buy back clause for Vela, which the player has no choice in whether to accept the move or not (clause only applies in summer windows). We also have a 30% sell on clause for him.

TransferMarkt values Vela at 20mE right now. If that's true, we basically are holding a 16m axe above their head. If they sell, then we would get 6m of that.

This could definitely play into negotiations. It seems Griezmann will be going either now or in the summer. If they believe that we might steal Vela in the summer, it might appeal to them to get less money for Griezmann now and not have to worry about replacing their two best players.

Doubt it has any meaning. Vela has said he has no interest in coming back to Arsenal and he is happy in Spain. Clause means nothing if the player doesnt want to come to you. Vela knows he wasted enough time at arsenal and is not gonna come back to be a bench player. Hell even Man U cancelled their deal with Mikel when he said he regret signing for them and want to go to Chelsea. A club is not going to sign a player that dont want to join them.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Lucky7 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 pm

gooney wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:Some discussion regarding us removing some clauses we have in Vela's contract as a negotiating tool if we pursue Griezmann. We have a 4mE buy back clause for Vela, which the player has no choice in whether to accept the move or not (clause only applies in summer windows). We also have a 30% sell on clause for him.

Doubt it has any meaning. Vela has said he has no interest in coming back to Arsenal and he is happy in Spain. Clause means nothing if the player doesnt want to come to you. Vela knows he wasted enough time at arsenal and is not gonna come back to be a bench player. Hell even Man U cancelled their deal with Mikel when he said he regret signing for them and want to go to Chelsea. A club is not going to sign a player that dont want to join them.

It's true that Vela doesn't want to return, and we aren't a club that would typically threaten another clubs top striker like that, but the sell on clause certainly has value. Whether we can make the buy back clause seem threatening or not is up to our negotiators. We do need a striker, it could be made to seem like a real threat if we pushed it.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooney » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Lucky7 wrote:
gooney wrote:

It's true that Vela doesn't want to return, and we aren't a club that would typically threaten another clubs top striker like that, but the sell on clause certainly has value. Whether we can make the buy back clause seem threatening or not is up to our negotiators. We do need a striker, it could be made to seem like a real threat if we pushed it.

Yeah but Real Socidad are not selling Vela now, So there is no need for them to negotiate that clause. They are not in hurry. they know we need an attacking player and they know we are loaded as hell. All they have to say is we can talk about Velain the future, but for now this is the price for Griezmann. we have one thing against us people are forgetting here that doesnt give us any upper hand. and that is TIME. 1/3 of the window is gone already and everone knows the closer you get to the end of the window the more prices go up and they all know we are desperate to strengthen the team.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 pm

would take this guy, has great movement, great finishing decent on the ball and decent creativity definitely a better signing than draxler should be worth around 18m
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:34 am

defcon2005 wrote:this lad looks like an arsenal player to me why not get him and a striker?

defcon2005 have you heard of Arsene Wenger? that's why it'll never happen.

I mean I just don't get it, we need a good striker and Wenger goes for a fresh faced 22 yr old French guy who quite frankly didn't look all that impressive in those videos.

We have Gnarby who is probably better, we have Ox and Podolski, why? just fkin why?

Cheaper option as always, this is how much Wenger values our title chance, strikers are expensive so he goes for a low to mid level winger, rinse and bloody repeat.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 am

DiamondGooner wrote:defcon2005 have you heard of Arsene Wenger? that's why it'll never happen.

I mean I just don't get it, we need a good striker and Wenger goes for a fresh faced 22 yr old French guy who quite frankly didn't look all that impressive in those videos.

We have Gnarby who is probably better, we have Ox and Podolski, why? just fkin why?

Cheaper option as always, this is how much Wenger values our title chance, strikers are expensive so he goes for a low to mid level winger, rinse and bloody repeat.

Why do you choose to believe that this story is genuine?

As I've said on this forum before, whenever there's a story about us wanting to go out and buy a player it is universally accepted we need, there is an incredible amount of cynicism, yet when there is a story about us signing a youth player or someone who we don't supposedly need, people take it as fact and use it to criticise Wenger. People believe what they want to believe.

For the record, Griezmann is a top player who'll end up at one of Europe's other top clubs if he doesn't come to us. Much more proven than Chamberlain or Gnabry and would probably start ahead of Podolski.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:22 pm

We can't sign a goalscoring striker in Jan so it seems Wenger is looking for goals through a goalscoring winger.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Massa wrote:We can't sign a goalscoring striker in Jan so it seems Wenger is looking for goals through a goalscoring winger.

So then why isn't he aiming higher than this guy then?

I think its more to do with 15 mil Euro's (apparently bid) as opposed to Costa or Martinez's release fees which are double, even if it is only active in Summer it would still be worth offering it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Massa wrote:We can't sign a goalscoring striker in Jan so it seems Wenger is looking for goals through a goalscoring winger.

I think its more to do with 15 mil Euro's (apparently bid) as opposed to Costa or Martinez's release fees which are double, even if it is only active in Summer it would still be worth offering it.

name a winger in a top league that has done better in terms of goal scoring? this guy has scored more goals than our only striker giroud so i think you better do some research or watch a game of football before you go and dismiss someone who is actually proven.

Yes i know he hasnt got the hype of people like draxler who has struggled to make half his impact this season but this guy is a quality footballer and a constant threat unlike draxler who's wildly overrated by people on here.

if you are so in the know name me a wide player who has is more of a goal threat than griezmann?
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:26 pm

19 league goals in 2013 i believe it was.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Massa » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:29 pm

No1Fan wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

name a winger in a top league that has done better in terms of goal scoring? this guy has scored more goals than our only striker giroud so i think you better do some research or watch a game of football before you go and dismiss someone who is actually proven.

Yes i know he hasnt got the hype of people like draxler who has struggled to make half his impact this season but this guy is a quality footballer and a constant threat unlike draxler who's wildly overrated by people on here.

if you are so in the know name me a wide player who has is more of a goal threat than griezmann?

Walcott :lipssealed:

But yes I agree Griezmann certainly has good stats and would be a good signing.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Do you think the signing of this guy would see pod/walcott moving up top more perminantly?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Zëdië wrote:Do you think the signing of this guy would see pod/walcott moving up top more perminantly?

that or it signals the end of podolskis career here. I tend to agree with gooney on podolski, i dont think wenger rates him that highly
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill