Xherdan Shaqiri

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Xherdan Shaqiri

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 am

He's a good player and I'd be happy to see him signed for that price, but I'm not sure if we need a player like him right now. Might be seen as the long-term successor to Rosicky.

Xherdan Shaqiri moved to Bayern Munich with much fanfare. At the time he'd already impressed European football with FC Basel and was considered one of the best young players in the game. Bayern got themselves something of a coup and his signing was a big deal throughout Europe. Shaqiri had been been linked with Europe's top clubs and eventually joined one of the very biggest.

The Switzerland international cost around £10m largely due to his contract situation and the move was announced several months before the transfer actually happened. Last season Shaqiri started 13 Bundesliga games, with the same again in substitute appearances. Under Pep Guardiola he's going to struggle to get the same game time.

Right now some midfielders are injured at Bayern Munich, including Thiago and Javi Martinez, when the Spaniards return it's hard to see how Shaqiri gets a look in, especially with Pep's desire to turn any good player into a midfielder. Shaqiri is mainly a winger who would prefer a more central role, but out wide it's perhaps even harder to get into this Bayern team with Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery holding the slots and displaced central midfielders looking to pick up the pieces.

The 21 year old could feel he'd be better off long term elsewhere and whoever signed Shaqiri would be getting a wonderfully talented player. Switzerland's Infoticker says that Arsenal are interested in making a €15m move for the player in January.

He's got a contract running until June 2016, Bayern Munich would be keen to keep him as long as they can give him game time once the injured players are back.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-want-to-make-15m-january-xherdan-shaqiri-move-according-t
Callum
SE13
SE13

Re: Xherdan Shaqiri

Postby gzagee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 am

Would've liked to see him come to us when he was at Basel. I mentioned at the time he was a player to watch but, I agree I can't see where he'd fit in?
Not sure about the validity of this rumour.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gooney » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 am

is he a striker or a cb?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby friedslice » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 am

I'd take him, can play anywhere in attacking midfield, talented young player, could be a natural successor to Rosicky (33) in the near future and Cazorla (30) in the long run. a signing like this would mean podolski would effectively become our second choice striker, a top scorer in germany i think he deserves that chance.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheArsenalPost » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:33 am

friedslice wrote:I'd take him, can play anywhere in attacking midfield, talented young player, could be a natural successor to Rosicky (33) in the near future and Cazorla (30) in the long run. a signing like this would mean podolski would effectively become our second choice striker, a top scorer in germany i think he deserves that chance.

Caz is only 28 and he's got a lot left in him. But in any case, getting a decent replacement for Rozza would be a good idea, not sure if this kid is "it" though.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Schlandi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:36 pm

No way !
In July 2013 K.H.Rummenigge said they won't sell him. Also Robben(29) and Ribery(30) will need a replacement in the "near" future.
He played (according to Transfermarkt.de) for Bayern 501min so far, Robben and Ribery each played 850min. so I don't see how they could claim he doesn't get some time on the pitch this year. Also he never played the Martinez position (mostly DM last season) at Bayern before. Shaqiri played as OM, LW and RW for Bayern. The report is full of fail.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GSK_AFC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 pm

I think he's a long term replacement to one of Ribery/Robben and with how successful and financially strong they are it will be hard for us to get him. Probably depends on how bad he wants the move personally.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Youngie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm

friedslice wrote:I'd take him, can play anywhere in attacking midfield, talented young player, could be a natural successor to Rosicky (33) in the near future and Cazorla (30) in the long run. a signing like this would mean podolski would effectively become our second choice striker, a top scorer in germany i think he deserves that chance.

Same
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby friedslice » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:31 am

TheArsenalPost wrote:

Caz is only 28 and he's got a lot left in him. But in any case, getting a decent replacement for Rozza would be a good idea, not sure if this kid is "it" though.

Cazorla will be 30 next season, which was what i was referencing too with regards to buying shaqiri next year.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ivan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 am

Can't see Bayern selling him. Really depends on how desperately he wants to be a starting eleven player.
Then again, if noone's injured, i can't see him get starts over Cazorla/Özil/Walcott right now. Huge talent though. Impresses me pretty much every time i see him play.
Wir fahren weit,
wir fahren viel
und wir verlieren jedes Spiel...
Ivan
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Popey » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:46 am

gooney wrote:is he a striker or a cb?

none of both :lol: so we don't need him. he's similar to chamberlain I would say

he's AM who can play on the wings or behind the striker.

he has talent but wouldn't be starting material IMO

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooney » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Popey wrote:
gooney wrote:is he a striker or a cb?

none of both :lol: so we don't need him. he's similar to chamberlain I would say

he's AM who can play on the wings or behind the striker.

he has talent but wouldn't be starting material IMO

We are starting to become like the Spurs of the past. Before this season everyone was saying they need a striker and they kept buying a midfielder after midfielder. I dont care what midfielder is available. There's no way anyone should be signed until we get a striker first
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cripps » Sat May 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Being linked with Liverpool.

We have to go in for him
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby AG13 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:14 pm

I like him but can he even play on the left?
P38 W26 D12 L0
AG13
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Sat May 17, 2014 11:14 pm

He won't leave and he's the long-term successor to Robben and Ribery.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill