Marco Reus

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Marco Reus

Postby Massa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... nder-moves

Arsenal's German revolution to continue as they line up Reus, Gundogan and Bender moves
Wenger is keen to follow up the £42.5m he splurged on Mesut Ozil on deadline day by pursuing moves for Ilkay Gundogan, Marco Reus and Lars Bender.

The Gunners tracked Bender in the summer but saw an £18.5m bid for his services swiftly turned down by Jurgen Klopp.

Arsenal will have roughly £30m kept aside in their transfer kitty, which will help fund moves for some of the Bundesliga's star attractions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... nings.html

Wenger has recruited five German players in a little over two years, reflecting his admiration for the academy system in the Bundesliga clubs that has been producing many of the best young players in Europe.
The Arsenal manager has already enhanced his scouting operation in Germany accordingly and will be tracking a lengthy list of Bundesliga players over the next year.
Arsenal had an £18.5 million offer rejected during the summer for Bayer Leverkusen's Bender, a Germany international holding midfielder, but Wenger retains an interest.
Dortmund’s Gundogan and Reus will also be extensively scouted this season, although both would also cost around £20 million.
As well as Mesut Özil, Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker, Arsenal have also added Thomas Eisfeld and Serge Gnabry to their squad since 2011.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Re: Marco Reus

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 pm

The Gunners tracked Bender in the summer but saw an £18.5m bid for his services swiftly turned down by Jurgen Klopp.

:doh:
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:44 pm

I cant see us looking at players of a similar age to Jack and Rambo in midfield. Depth is good, but chances are we'll look at younger or more experienced players to replace Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby etc.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Est83 wrote:I cant see us looking at players of a similar age to Jack and Rambo in midfield. Depth is good, but chances are we'll look at younger or more experienced players to replace Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby etc.

Wrong thread?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Reus would be incredible but it'd be extremely difficult to get him. For a start, he loves Dortmund - he supposedly turned down Bayern to join them - and at this moment in time Dortmund are a better and more successful side than us. Also, if he did choose to leave, expect all of the major European superpowers knocking at his door.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:
Est83 wrote:I cant see us looking at players of a similar age to Jack and Rambo in midfield. Depth is good, but chances are we'll look at younger or more experienced players to replace Arteta, Rosicky, Diaby etc.

Wrong thread?

Gundogan, Bender. I'm not saying they're like for like, but Bender and Gundogan would replace Rambo and Jack fairly easily. Can't see Wenger choosing that option.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Est83 wrote:Gundogan, Bender. I'm not saying they're like for like, but Bender and Gundogan would replace Rambo and Jack fairly easily. Can't see Wenger choosing that option.

Gundogan might, but not Bender. He's much more defensive than Wilshere and Ramsey and would most likely replace Arteta.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:16 pm

I get that, but at the moment we play 2 CMs, expecting them to rotate as if they were in a 4-4-2, but Arteta usually plays a more defensive role, we've brought in Flamini, and had bids for Gustavo and Bender turned down... basically Wenger's on the lookout for a more defence-minded midfielder. Bender would start Imo. Then you'd have Jack and Rambo challenging for one spot, add Gundogan to the mix and you have at least two young and potentially world class players sulking on the bench.

Adding depth is tricky.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gooney » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Reus would be the end of Walcott. Which is why I dont see this move. Also I doubt he will leave Dortmund anytime soon. And please dont bring up the Ozil. Difference was his club wanted to sell him. Reus is Dortmund nr 1 player
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Est83 wrote:
ThereIsBearCüm wrote:

Wrong thread?

Gundogan, Bender. I'm not saying they're like for like, but Bender and Gundogan would replace Rambo and Jack fairly easily. Can't see Wenger choosing that option.

Oh, I see. Thought you were talking about Reus.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby AFC10 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

gooney wrote:Reus would be the end of Walcott. Which is why I dont see this move. Also I doubt he will leave Dortmund anytime soon. And please dont bring up the Ozil. Difference was his club wanted to sell him. Reus is Dortmund nr 1 player

You lost a bet... Again. Why you here?
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gunpowder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Reus is very good and would improve but I think we're set at 3 part of our system. Is Walcott really bad? No for me, upgrading him isn't a must thing. Just get a striker or defensive minded CM.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:34 pm

AFC10 wrote:You lost a bet... Again. Why you here?

He made another bet?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:35 pm

I reckon it's feasible but I think Reus would prefer to stay at Dortmund. Why is it feasible?

- We were interested in him when he was at Gladbach
- His role model is Rosicky
- 'Boy, he's f***ing good' when talking about Jack
- CONTINGENT

I think we look like a possible destination for him, not in Jan but maybe a couple of seasons time. And I'll be over the moon with that.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm

He'll join because;

- We've proven we're willing to spend and compete again.
- Three of his German compatriots are already here.
- Wenger is hugely respected and can speak German.
- He'll suit our style of play superbly.
- We can pay him an attractive wage.

He won't join because;

- He loves Dortmund.
- Dortmund have the better side and have been more successful in recent years.
- He will have a huge asking price on his head.
- Numerous other clubs will be interested should he go on sale.

All in all I feel it's highly unlikely and would only happen if we become title contenders, Dortmund fall away and we're able to beat other big clubs for his signature.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill