Bernard

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Bernard

Postby Massa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Can play LW but we need a forwrd thinking LW not another interior
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Massa wrote:Can play LW but we need a forwrd thinking LW not another interior

Have you watched him play?

I always thought of him as a speedy winger rather than a Cazorla-esque sort of wide man.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm

No but his normal position is an AM so I assumed
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Massa wrote:No but his normal position is an AM so I assumed

How do you know he's a AM?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:07 am

I've seen him play once in a cup final against a Brazilian team I can't even remember the name of. I believe he played RW at the time - he often dropped deep to do the play-making and had a few good dribbles/individual actions but ran out of steam after 80 minutes and got substituted I believe. Certainly looked like a talented, young AM but I can't see us bringing in a young AM, now when we've just extended Rosicky's contract.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 am

not ready yet would be a decent wide forward he also isnt that fast ox id definitely quicker
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:30 pm

REVEALED: The real reason Arsenal and Tottenham failed to sign Bernard last summer

SHAKTAR DONETSK midfielder Bernard has revealed that Arsenal and Tottenham failed to sign him last summer because of money problems.

The Brazilian international was heavily linked with a move to England at the start of the season but ultimately ended up heading to Ukraine with Shaktar.

And the 21-year-old says that Shaktar's ability to front up his £20m transfer fee gave the club the edge over Arsenal and Tottenham.

He told FourFourTwo magazine:"We had offers from Tottenham, and according to my Atletico president Arsenal were interested too, but didn't have the money.

"All of it happened in a moment Europe was facing a serious financial crisis, so there was interest from various teams, but the only one able to pay straight away was Shakhtar."

Arsenal went on to sign German international Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for £42.5m seemingly undermining Bernard's claims, while Tottenham spent over £100m on new arrivals following the sale of Gareth Bale.

Rather, it appears that a £20m price tag for a player unproven in Europe may have represented too much of a risk for the Premier League sides.

Indeed, Bernard has endured a difficult first season at Shaktar, sometimes failing to get into the side, but has still been included in Luis Felipe Scolari's World Cup squad.

But it seems that there was truth to Arsenal and Tottenham's interest in Bernard, and both sides could move for the player again in future once he has found his feet in Europe.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ast-summer
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby defcon2005 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
REVEALED: The real reason Arsenal and Tottenham failed to sign Bernard last summer

SHAKTAR DONETSK midfielder Bernard has revealed that Arsenal and Tottenham failed to sign him last summer because of money problems.

The Brazilian international was heavily linked with a move to England at the start of the season but ultimately ended up heading to Ukraine with Shaktar.

And the 21-year-old says that Shaktar's ability to front up his £20m transfer fee gave the club the edge over Arsenal and Tottenham.

He told FourFourTwo magazine:"We had offers from Tottenham, and according to my Atletico president Arsenal were interested too, but didn't have the money.

"All of it happened in a moment Europe was facing a serious financial crisis, so there was interest from various teams, but the only one able to pay straight away was Shakhtar."

Arsenal went on to sign German international Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for £42.5m seemingly undermining Bernard's claims, while Tottenham spent over £100m on new arrivals following the sale of Gareth Bale.

Rather, it appears that a £20m price tag for a player unproven in Europe may have represented too much of a risk for the Premier League sides.

Indeed, Bernard has endured a difficult first season at Shaktar, sometimes failing to get into the side, but has still been included in Luis Felipe Scolari's World Cup squad.

But it seems that there was truth to Arsenal and Tottenham's interest in Bernard, and both sides could move for the player again in future once he has found his feet in Europe.

or more to the point they might have a go if his price tag drops a bit?
defcon2005
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Location: between the gates of hell and the entrance to valhalla

Postby GoonerBeatYa » Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Jeez what a blatent sob story. I wanted to come to England but no-one wanted me as much to fork out the full fee. I don't know if hes trying to re-spark the interest but he sure as hell is talking bull**** Get real bullnard :rofll:

" I eat football. Sleep football. I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate."
- Thierry Henry
GoonerBeatYa
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Thu May 22, 2014 11:24 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... rd-3590935

Liverpool and Arsenal on transfer alert as Bernard looks for Shakhtar Donetsk exit

The two clubs were tracking the Brazil winger before last summer's move to Ukraine and have now been contacted amid civil unrest there

Brazil international Bernard has been offered to top Premier League clubs as he bids to escape Shakhtar Donetsk.

Parties working on behalf of the livewire winger have contacted Arsenal and Liverpool about his availability, with both the Gunners and the Anfield giants having monitored the 21-year-old when he was in his homeland with Atletico Mineiro before last summer's switch to Europe.

Reports in Brazil have linked him with a transfer back there with Sao Paulo mentioned as a post-World Cup destination.

But with doubts over the economic viability of such a move, his representatives have sought to reignite Premier League interest in the talented young forward, who would be available for just £19million.

Bernard edged out Paris Saint-Germain winger Lucas Moura for a place in the hosts' World Cup squad and is highly-rated by national team boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.

He is one of a number of Brazilian players looking to leave Champions League regulars Shakhtar after recent social unrest in the city of Donetsk.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby gooney » Thu May 22, 2014 11:56 pm

meh
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby AG13 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:03 am

Why spend £15-25M on Bernard when we can spend £4M on Vela and £30M on Benzema?
P38 W26 D12 L0
AG13
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Being linked with him again
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby 22-0 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 pm

he would get destroyed in the PL imo
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Looked bright yesterday despite the hammering.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill