Edinson Cavani

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Edinson Cavani

Postby JackMan86 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 am

Step aside City! Wenger ready to splash £30m on Cavani as Van Persie replacement By BOB CASS

Arsene Wenger is ready to break the bank at last with a £30million bid for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani as the Frenchman bids to save Arsenal's season.

Wenger is ready to act after watching his side fall 11 points off the pace in the Premier League title race following a 3-3 draw at home against Fulham on Saturday.

The Arsenal manager has been under massive pressure from fans and shareholders to start splashing big money in a bid to end the club's eight-year wait for a trophy, and he has decided 25-year-old Uruguay forward Cavani is top priority after getting a glowing report on the player from chief scout Steve Rowley.

The Gunners' talent spotter travelled to Italy last Thursday for a personal check on the player and he could hardly have picked a more opportune occasion to assess his talents as the striker scored all four goals as his side came from behind to beat Ukrainian club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 4-2 in the Europa League.

Wenger has been criticised by Arsenal fans disgruntled because he has not bought a replacement for Robin van Persie, who scored the opening goal against Arsenal to set Manchester United up for a 2-1 victory over the London club at Old Trafford last weekend.

But it will take a major offer to tempt Napoli to part with Cavani, especially as the striker has backed up his decision to sign a new five-year contract last May by insisting he wants to improve on his record of 79 goals in 108 matches.

He is chasing the legendary Diego Maradona's all-time Napoli record of 115 goals. Cavani's goals on Thursday earned him his sixth Napoli hat-trick.

He found the net against Chelsea and Manchester City in last season's Champions League.

City had been keen to land Cavani, whose four goals in midweek took him to 12 in 12 games for the season, before the striker signed his new deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231109/Arsene-Wenger-ready-spend-30million-Edinson-Cavani.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Would love to see him in an Arsenal shirt but can't see it happening.

If he comes to Arsenal I'll eat my shoes.
KROENKE OUT GAZIDIS OUT HILL-WOOD OUT

USMANOV IN
JackMan86
Charlie George
Charlie George

Re: Edison Cavani

Postby ivan itchybum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 am

We've heard it all before, this is Wenger we're talking about... Never in a million years will this happen
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: Edinson Cavani

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:26 am

lol
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 am

As if

Bob Cass is one of the worst hacks in the bizz, very bad reputation. And he's an ardent Man U 'fan'. Don't trust a word he writes
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 am

Watch the entire January evaporate with no signings.

Cavani? Yeah, right. If he comes, we'd have a monster of a player. He'd be so good. He'd be the one to go toe-for-toe against Aguero, van Persie, Tevez, etc. What does this say? It's not happening. Heck, even if it does, I'm sure Wenger will play Cavani as a winger. :D
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 am

pr from the club, would not be surprised if they fed the media this to calm us down haha
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby yosifun » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:11 am

Not that I would mind the likes of Cavani/Falcao/Benzema coming but I can't see it happening.. Llorente/Villa are more realistic options.
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goners » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:39 am

gooney wrote:pr from the club, would not be surprised if they fed the media this to calm us down haha

This.
'Thank you for your interest in our affairs'....PHW
Goners
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zedie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

This is defo a story where the journo got bored and picked a club and player then whacked them into 1 article. Lazy at best.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:42 pm

no way this will happen

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 pm

He is value at £30 but Wenger will not see it. Never going to happen.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 pm

yosifun wrote:Not that I would mind the likes of Cavani/Falcao/Benzema coming but I can't see it happening.. Llorente/Villa are more realistic options.

you're kidding yourself if you think we're signing llorente/villa
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby yosifun » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Massa wrote:
yosifun wrote:Not that I would mind the likes of Cavani/Falcao/Benzema coming but I can't see it happening.. Llorente/Villa are more realistic options.

you're kidding yourself if you think we're signing llorente/villa

I just said that the chances of signing these two (add Ba to that list) are higher of signing Cavani/Falcao/Benzema, we'll have to wait till January to see though I don't have high hopes anymore.. :disgust:
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby FourSix » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 pm

From the daily mail. Expensive. Not the top priority. Not going to happen.
FourSix
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zenith » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Why the bump?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Next

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill